• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Prime GSP vs Woodley ... who wins?

we will never know... someone doesn't want to take the challenge

Pretty sure the UFC would have set it up if Woodley put up a better performance against Maia, a lot better. Instead Woodley set a record, one that won't be soon broken unless it's by him.

Tough question because before Bisping, I have only seen GSP get a stoppage once since 2009. Woodley has also shown that he is willing to do whatever it takes to win a fight, even if it is done in a boring/methodical fashion.. I'd take GSP, because he would find Woodley's weakness and exploit it.

Last edited:
Let me ask you this, since the first Serra fight, when have you ever seen GSP get hit by a big overhand? Never. Yes he's older now, but if there's one thing he's going to be preparing for in that fight *which will likely never happen*, it's the overhand right. Anything can happen in a fight, but I have a very hard time imagining Woodley landing that punch. And as for you not believing GSP has the power to get Woodley's respect, well, many didn't think he had the power to get Bisping's respect either... but by the time he hit the floor, it was already too late for Ol' Mikey.
Exactly... people have underestimated GSPs power before but none of them have ever simply walked through his punches. Hendricks was knocking guys out that had never been KOd, he was maybe maybe MAYBE on something? I dont know I guess we never will but even a perhaps a roided Hendricks couldnt even knock GSP down let alone out. Woodly is dangerous sure and anything can happen in a fight, but sometimes he is a bit overrated to be honest. Also the whole Woodly having perfect TDD%.. Freaking Rory took him down and held him down do people forget?

They are both 36 years old, it's not like their primes are so off. Gsp has just a little bit more milage. Woodley is good but a bit overrated on sherdog
exactly, i just said this, Woodly is good and yes he is dangerous but hes a bit overrated around here.

exactly, i just said this, Woodly is good and yes he is dangerous but hes a bit overrated around here.

I don't think he's overrated, it's just all the people who don't want GSP as GOAT and they'd like Woodley to put an L on GSP's record.

gsp_contest.jpg

73TlOubl.jpg

Personally I thought Hendricks beats GSP handidly

usatsi_7560759.jpg

That said, if that was GSP's Prime, Woodley takes him then and of course now

People seriously underestimate gsp and over hype Tyron.
I believe even the gsp of today has a solid shot of beating him.
This is the same guy who had nothing for Rory McDonald and got pieced up by him.
Gsp has the striking and he has the wrestling too,even if just to keep Tyron guessing. I’m willing to bet that gsp would takedown Tyron and he certainly would outstike him.
Gsp is up there with the most complete mixed martial artists ever.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the UFC would have set it up if Woodley put up a better performance against Maia, a lot better. Instead Woodley set a record, one that won't be soon broken unless it's by him.
The UFC can't set up a fight if one of the two fighters doesn't want to fight the other
But you are right, if Woodley fought better fights, the UFC would have try to set this up, offering more Money to GSP...

The UFC can't set up a fight if one of the two fighters doesn't want to fight the other
But you are right, if Woodley fought better fights, the UFC would have try to set this up, offering more Money to GSP...

Sure they can, they can offer the fight and 1 or both fighters can refuse. Just like they offered Yair several fights and he refused them all. The UFC never offered GSP a fight with Woodley, which I believe they would have if Woodley didn't put on that embarrassing performance.

Woodley isnt fit to wash GSPs sweaty GI.

GSP would literally jab his face off to an uneventful 50-45. Would probably outwrestle him too if he wanted to.

I'd wager current GSP would win a comfortable decision.

Prime GSP fucks him up for 5 rounds, and makes it look easy.

That's true there is no other WW GOAT candidates other than GSP but over time I could see Woodley accumulating enough wins to make the argument, he already has wins over nice opponents.
If GSP fights and wins then he proves that he greatness extends beyond just his era and really cements his legacy as WW GOAT.
If he fights and loses his record is still in tact and people could still argue the greatness of 'Prime GSP' but maybe his fans will have to concede just a little glory to Woodley.

The fact that I'm seeing so many posts stating "Any version of GSP > Prime Woodley" makes me believe that GSP should just take the opportunity to silence any doubters now while he still has the chance, because you know Woodley/haters will never let go of the fact that GSP is fighting above and below his traditional weight class in what can be seen as a blatant attempt to avoid Tyron.
Something tells me GSP doesn’t care what any of you “doubters” on here think.

Prime GSP with no question.

Today's GSP still wins, but a hell of a lot closer than both fans and haters would like to admit.

GSPs boxing isn't all that great tbh. Couple that with the TD threat being gone, and Woodley beats him.

And I hate Woodley.

And why would the TD threat be gone? Who hasn’t GSP taken down before?

Woodley is a live dog. 60-40 for GSP but I wouldn't be surprised if Woodley landed hard on George often.

People are acting like Woodley has no chance... did they even watch the Wonderboy fights? He got the better of the best striker in WW history, albeit with the threat of the takedown. George is much stiffer than Wonderboy and doesn't get his head off the centerline sometimes... plus he's never fought someone as fast and as powerful as Woodley.
Everyone has a punchers chance. But odds are he (Woodley) won't...

Lol, at the male nurse in the back. GSP hiring that guy to harass Koscheck was brilliant. GOAT TUF move imo. Kept Koscheck busy being riled with someone who wasn't GSP.

GSP had better things to do than engage in a poo flinging war with the likes of Koscheck. So he subcontracted that out.

method=get&s=josh-koscheck-gif.gif

kos.gif

“So he subcontracted that out.”

Fucking brilliant. This post made me laugh out loud.

An observation that is both true and hilarious.

The Hendricks that fought GSP was a beast but I'm not sure that he's more powerful than Woodley is now. Woodley is an exceptional athlete with perfect TDD%, something that even Hendricks being a Div1 champ didn't boast going into the GSP fight. Woodley's can land that overhand on even prime George: he is that good with it and good at setting it up. Serra landed, Condit landed, Hendricks landed, and Diaz all landed good shots on GSP... granted a couple of those fights were against a past prime GSP. I have a hard time believing George has the power to get Woodley's respect and Woodley definitely has the power to hurt or finish George.

I would just say this. There is no amount of TDD that stops motivated Georges St. Pierre from hitting take downs. My evidence for that is a 27 fight career where nobody was ever able to consistently stop him from hitting take downs. Even against probably juiced Hendricks, and with 1 foot out the door, he hit 3 take downs on Bigg Rigg, one of them in the 5th round. Yes, Woodley could land a big overhand right but he isn't stopping Georges shot. Nobody ever has.

Let me ask you this, since the first Serra fight, when have you ever seen GSP get hit by a big overhand? Never. Yes he's older now, but if there's one thing he's going to be preparing for in that fight *which will likely never happen*, it's the overhand right. Anything can happen in a fight, but I have a very hard time imagining Woodley landing that punch. And as for you not believing GSP has the power to get Woodley's respect, well, many didn't think he had the power to get Bisping's respect either... but by the time he hit the floor, it was already too late for Ol' Mikey.

Georges smashed way more faces than just Bisping's. People seem to think Georges can't punch but he beat the living shit out of a lot of guys. Kos and Fitch came out of those fights looking like Quasimodo. Prime BJ Penn quit on the stool.

Back