Prime BJ Penn vs Anthony Pettis, Who wins?

SUBLIME FAN

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
With all this talk of who is the LW GOAT, I have a simple question. Who wins a matchup between the BJ Penn who was destroying everybody and Anthony Pettis? And I personally think BJ Penn is the obvious LW GOAT, and Gomi is right behind him. Then I would say Edgar, Bendo, and I would throw Melendez in there too. But Anthony Pettis is on his way in a hurry.

I would take Prime BJ, RNC 2nd or 3rd Round.

pettis by whatever he wants .. really, bj has a bunch of wins over scrubs at lw .... his only great win at lw is sherk ... sure he won the ww title, but look at his final record .. 16-10 .. he woulda folded against the speed and versatility of pettis ... and i can't stand pettis

A lot of people are going to say Pettis because they will think of the Penn who got destroyed by Frankie Edgar a bunch of times. Prime Penn was a different animal, this is a guy who destroyed Hughes and gave young killer GSP all he could handle.

BJ by out boxing Pettis.

Bj had an amazing chin and was never submitted. Pettis wont stop him and wont out strike him for 5 rounds. If Melendez tagged him a few times (iirc) than BJ will light him up.

have to go with bj but its close... i just dont think prime baby jay would be out grappled or ko'd by pettis. BJ was the most well rounded fighter.. literally no weaknesses in his prime. i like to think hed pick apart pettis for 3-4 rounds then submit him, but hey wtf do i know?

Prime BJ was a destroyer, his TDD was insane, his grappling amazing and his hands were really good... But I still think Pettis is too sharp for him.

BJ doesn't do well against kicks. Pettis is pretty good at kicking. His body kicks would crumple BJ. Pettis' hands are also underrated.

I think a lot of people still don't realise just how fucking good Pettis is.

It all depends if he is motivated or not.

Pettis via leg kicks. And Pettis is intelligent enough to follow through with this plan as well since he will have Duke Roofus making a point of it.

BJ is a great fighter, but a guy with the right game plan will finish him off rather easily and some of his fans will be slack jawed. Pettis is the guy who has that ability to do so. It will go similar to RDA vs Nate Diaz.

I would take BJ in that hypothetical fantasy fight.

I don't think Pettis would be as keen to use his kicking game on BJ for fear of being taken down. Pettis is great off his back, however BJ's top game is/was insane.

Marinovich BJ also seemed to not have cardio issues.

Most likely outcome, imo, BJ gets Pettis down, passes to mount, makes him give his back, finish via RNC.

Baby Jay was documented on Primetime asking "When was my prime? Where was my 10 fight win streak? I really feel like I never had a prime and it bothers me."

Baby Jay got run out of the WW division not once but twice (first by GSP then Rory);
He got run out of the LW division (by Frankie); and
He got run out of the FW division (by Frankie)

He was defeated 4x by natural 145 pounders

The fact is, Baby Jay only won 11 fights at LW, never won more than 3 fights in a row in the UFC, and lost in his own weight class 3 times to natural 145 pounders. That says a lot.

The last time Baby Jay tied his all-time best UFC win streak of 3 fights in a row was over 7 years ago! Baby Jay's entire career has been inconsistent. He has never strung together more than 3 wins in a row throughout his entire UFC career dating back to 2001.

Here’s a synopsis of his winning percentage since returning to the UFC in 2006:
Won 6 of his last 15 fights for a win percentage of .400!

Won 3 of his last 10 fights for a win percentage of .300!

Won 1 of his last 7 fights for a win percentage of .143!

Crying-Baby.gif

I don't see why Penn would be ahead of Pettis

Bendo / Gil / Cerrone > Sanchez / Florian / Sherk and the gap isn't that close.

Pettis beats him up head to head I think with his striking but prime BJ was a beast and could pose some problems with his grappling.

I'm a big BJ fan but he def loses, the sport has passed him and his style in the same way Prime Fedor or Chuck would lose to any top 5 of their divisions now days. Fighters now have the benefit of training with more evolved techniques and training then most of the old legends did.

Baby Jay was documented on Primetime asking "When was my prime? Where was my 10 fight win streak? I really feel like I never had a prime and it bothers me."

Baby Jay got run out of the WW division not once but twice (first by GSP then Rory);
He got run out of the LW division (by Frankie); and
He got run out of the FW division (by Frankie)

He was defeated 4x by natural 145 pounders

The fact is, Baby Jay only won 11 fights at LW, never won more than 3 fights in a row in the UFC, and lost in his own weight class 3 times to natural 145 pounders. That says a lot.

The last time Baby Jay tied his all-time best UFC win streak of 3 fights in a row was over 7 years ago! Baby Jay's entire career has been inconsistent. He has never strung together more than 3 wins in a row throughout his entire UFC career dating back to 2001.

Here

Back