• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Prime Anderson could rule the MW division today

With all due respect, but i have to disagree, as the middleweight division of today is filled with way better fighters than when Anderson was in his prime.
I'll give you that, for the most part, they are better fighters. But Anderson was so goddamn lethal from any and every angle. And he didn't just win, he made them all look like absolute amateurs. He broke their spirits, sending dudes who were on crazy streaks into retirement or obscurity. Even now, far removed from his prime, he's managed to remain semi-competitive with the elites. Izzy is the champ, and could barely land on him. So, with all due respect, I disagree. 35 y.o. andy would slaughter the division.

The likes don’t lie brother. Most people agree with me
Likes don't make an argument true though, do they?
It's fine if you disagree with me though.
Pretty happy i'm not accused of bashing Anderson yet, as some people might think that is my intention, when in reality i just think he'd have difficulties with very good wrestlers and fighters who're carefully picking their shots while being concentrated on their defense, instead of rushing in and getting victimized by Silva's phenomenally times counter-strikes.

Who do you think would beat him?
I think Romero is a very bad matchup for him, as he's very defensive (mostly), can withstand a lot of damage, has a lot of power and has great wrestling while being (most likely) the most physically strong MW together with Paulo Costa. I think Romero's defense is pretty good as well.

I also think that Kelvin Gastelum has a good shot at beating Anderson Silva, as long as he used his wrestling and doesn't rush in carelessly.
Other fighters that i think can win are Cannonier and Adesanya.
Weidman isn't at MW anymore, otherwise i'd include him as well.

People are quick to forget... prime steroid Anderson got held down like a helpless child for an entire round by F-level fighter Travis Lutter.

Sports evolve, kids. That goes for athletic training, skill sets, and division depth. Anderson was Ronda Rousey before Holly Holm, The Gracie family before Sakuraba, Sakuraba before Wandy, and Matt Hughes before GSP.

I think Romero is a very bad matchup for him, as he's very defensive (mostly), can withstand a lot of damage, has a lot of power and has great wrestling while being (most likely) the most physically strong MW together with Paulo Costa. I think Romero's defense is pretty good as well.

I also think that Kelvin Gastelum has a good shot at beating Anderson Silva, as long as he used his wrestling and doesn't rush in carelessly.
Other fighters that i think can win are Cannonier and Adesanya.
Weidman isn't at MW anymore, otherwise i'd include him as well.

Neither Romero or Costa pose the same type of threat that Hendo did, and Hendo got subbed.

Somebody mentioned Lutter holding Silva down, but he got triangled and elbowed into submission.

Remember Silva was held down by a juiced out Sonnen for 4.5 rounds too, and made him quit.

The exact type of shit we're talking about. He's the bess.

Say what you will about Anderson, he's fought the likes of Daniel Cormier, Israel Adesanya, Weidman, Vitor, Chael, Forrest, Rich, Henderson... the elite fighters of past and current generations.

I really expected to wake up this morning and get flamed but Im quite happy that it seems the majority here agree. It's hard to argue what ifs but just comparing Israel's current success and project Anderson's prime skill set in to today's MW landscape, i find it so difficult not see that he would be Champ at some point in time.

Essentially, I'm rooting for Adesanya all the way because as dominant as he could be, it's almost like vicarously seeing Silva's success.

How is this even a discussion. Anderson dominates all MWs and LHWS (except Jones) in all era. Even some HWs too.

How is this even a discussion. Anderson dominates all MWs and LHWS (except Jones) in all era. Even some HWs too.

If you were a true fan, you would also say all super heavyweights from all eras, better than Phelps at swimming, and could beat prime MJ one-on-one in bball. Stop being a hater, bro.

If you were a true fan, you would also say all super heavyweights from all eras, better than Phelps at swimming, and could beat prime MJ one-on-one in bball. Stop being a hater, bro.

So which fighter in your opinion has reached the heights of Anderson?

Back