Pride

kingkshon73

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Why is it that if a say anything about Japanese MMA it is automatically assumed I'm talking about PRIDE? Yeah it might have been the biggest japanese org of all time but there is still a plethora of other ones such as

DREAM
Sengoku
HERO'S
Pancrase
RINGS
Shooto
DEEP
ect....

I tried to make a thread talking about how the majority of top fighters in Japan usually end up under performing or getting exposed when they come to North America and when they do there is always a litany of excuses such as "past there Prime" or "Jetlag". This led to people instantly trying to hang me in the town square because I was attacking PRIDE when not once was it mentioned in my OP.

So why do a lot of you equate all JMMA to being PRIDE and why do most JMMA stars ending up under performing when coming to North America?

The Japanese fighters just meet tougher competition in the UFC. Is normal.

The Japanese fighters just meet tougher competition in the UFC. Is normal.

I was referring to all races of top fighters who compete in Japan who are top stars and try to transition here. If I was referring to just Japanese people they have only won one title between PRIDE, UFC, WEC, and Strikeforce so I think it's just the quality of fighters they produce over there more then anything although the top fighters they have from that country usually don't perform well when they come over here.

Heros had alot of succcesful fighters brah so i dont know wtf u talking about ever hear of ufc champions brock lesner and bj penn they were heros legend s

Why is it that if a say anything about Japanese MMA it is automatically assumed I'm talking about PRIDE? Yeah it might have been the biggest japanese org of all time but there is still a plethora of other ones such as

DREAM
Sengoku
HERO'S
Pancrase
RINGS
Shooto
DEEP
ect....

I tried to make a thread talking about how the majority of top fighters in Japan usually end up under performing or getting exposed when they come to North America and when they do there is always a litany of excuses such as "past there Prime" or "Jetlag". This led to people instantly trying to hang me in the town square because I was attacking PRIDE when not once was it mentioned in my OP.

So why do a lot of you equate all JMMA to being PRIDE and why do most JMMA stars ending up under performing when coming to North America?

Its always been commented that "Pride fighters were overrated by fans because they were outside the US mainstream" but I would actually say this has tradisionally been MUCH more true of other Japanese orgs.

Pride was afterall on PPV in the US and pretty well known in general, merely saying you liked Fedor, Wanderlei, Crocop, etc wasn't exactly the mark of an especially knowledgeable fan.

A lot of these other orgs though were much less known and there was IMHO a much stronger tendency for the "MMA hipster" to love hyping say Shoot/WVR's 145/135 fighters in an era were the division as a whole was still very disorganised. You look at these guys(Hioki, Omigawa) and unlike the Pride names who generally do have cases for dropping off as there form weakened it does look much more like they simply dropped off as they faced better comp.

Heros had alot of succcesful fighters brah so i dont know wtf u talking about ever hear of ufc champions brock lesner and bj penn they were heros legend s

Brock had 1 fight in hero's and BJ came from the UFC as Champion and went 3-1 in K-1. Your the one who does not know what there talking about. JZ and Kid Yamamoto have not been successful since K-1 Hero's and they were the biggest stars that company produced.

Its always been commented that "Pride fighters were overrated by fans because they were outside the US mainstream" but I would actually say this has tradisionally been MUCH more true of other Japanese orgs.

Pride was afterall on PPV in the US and pretty well known in general, merely saying you liked Fedor, Wanderlei, Crocop, etc wasn't exactly the mark of an especially knowledgeable fan.

A lot of these other orgs though were much less known and there was IMHO a much stronger tendency for the "MMA hipster" to love hyping say Shoot/WVR's 145/135 fighters in an era were the division as a whole was still very disorganised. You look at these guys(Hioki, Omigawa) and unlike the Pride names who generally do have cases for dropping off as there form weakened it does look much more like they simply dropped off as they faced better comp.
You completely understand my post.

biggest heros star was lytto machida brah another ufc champion per capita heros was easily a top of the japan orgs

i wouldnt dump them in with pride is all iam saying

soooo.......do you want us to talk about PRIDE? or dont you.

You completely understand my post.

The ironic thing of course is that the guys hyping these fighters often didn't push "pro Pride" arguments at all.

Jordan Breen is the classic case for me, he talked up these kinds of fighters for years exactly because it could give him some hipster credibility without having to go against Zuffa hype as there were no UFC 145lb and below fighters. You very rarely heard him talking up a Pride fighter over a UFC fighter during the same era.

biggest heros star was lytto machida brah another ufc champion per capita heros was easily a top of the japan orgs

i wouldnt dump them in with pride is all iam saying

He had 1 fight in k1 hero's and 2 in K-1. Also there is always outliers you can point out one successful one for every 3 that I can say weren't.

Back