PRIDE Secret Files

I always had this feeling that the UFC was complicit in the demise of Pride... they packed-up so quickly I was suspicious that the UFC might have been involved. It was good to read the Secret Files & understand the context.

By the way what are the rules for distributing copies of the Secret Files via this forum?
Like if I had a copy... and could share it...

As if back then UFC used their influence to get TV stations to dump PRIDE's TV deals. If UFC had that influence, why didn't they get their own primetime TV deal?

I suspect PRIDE flushed themselves down the toilet via their own crap decisions and cultural norms self-sabotaging their operations. Being slow to get stuff done probably was another big problem.

As if back then UFC used their influence to get TV stations to dump PRIDE's TV deals. If UFC had that influence, why didn't they get their own primetime TV deal?

I suspect PRIDE flushed themselves down the toilet via their own crap decisions and cultural norms self-sabotaging their operations. Being slow to get stuff done probably was another big problem.

The police told the network executives to take PRIDE off of the airwaves due to Miro Mitatovic's issues with the Yakuza. Advertisers didn't want to be involved in the scandal. The UFC wasn't a factor in anything whatsoever.

PRIDE was bleeding money when they were doing their fights in Vegas. They were no longer on Japanese broadcast TV and didn't have the money from those shows which they used to stay in the black. Real Deal and The Second Coming were used to showcase to a buyer. WWE did due diligence and decided to pass. Ed Fishman thought he had the right of first refusal...but it was the UFC that bought them to keep them away from a potential buyer that may have sprung up as they were by far and away the number one competitor to their brand. Zuffa claims that Jamie Pollock was told to GTFO of Japan by the Yakuza and that's why PRIDE never continued.

im not convinced gsp would succeed in pride.

anyway, thanks for info.

im not convinced gsp would succeed in pride.

anyway, thanks for info.

Takedown, side control, knees to the head of a grounded opponent like Rampage vs. Minowa. I think GSP would have been fine in Pride FC.

Too bad this didn't happen....imagine what mma would be like today if Pride kept going.

when the UFC bought Pride, they not only wanted to continue the brand but actually began tentatively planning Pride 35 and 36. Ed Fishman ran the Pride US offices in Las Vegas which were closed, ending the LWGP dream.

They were certainly hoping for Shogun Rua's participation in both divisions. When he signed with the UFC, his original deal was for 2 fights in the UFC, 2 in Pride.

Wow, reading over that part about Saku again, made me realize the guy was nuts. I don't know who the hell El Solar is, but it sounds like Saku coulda had an easy NYE payday to single-leg and sub some luchador but he turned it down to fight Little Nog. What a warrior, imagine if there were more fighters like him

There are but due to the high risk nature of it they don't end up with the best fight records and queer fellow call then things like cans, tomato can, punching bag, bum etc

Takedown, side control, knees to the head of a grounded opponent like Rampage vs. Minowa. I think GSP would have been fine in Pride FC.

I really do not understand the fascination people have with the lower weight class guys from PRIDE. GSP and Hughes would have dominated Gomi, Sakurai, or whoever they had at the time. It would of been an annihilation. Gomi's done nothing significant in the UFC to date.

The difference between the UFC and PRIDE lower weight fighters is how they conducted shady business. In PRIDE Gomi would have a 10-15 lb weight advantage live at fight time, no wonder he was beating so many fighters in Japan.

Just to edit and correct myself, Hughes did beat Sakurai before. He sent him packing overseas.

EDIT

thank you thank you thank you
please keep on writting

Not saying GSP or Hughes wouldn't steamroll Gomi, but Gomi was already spiraling down when he signed with the UFC.

These 3 aren't even in the same weight division. The UFC WW's cut weight to 170. Gomi probably didn't cut weight to make 160 or whatever that weight limit was.

Gomi was fearless and KTFO'd many guys in PRIDE, and I doubt all of them were crappers. You can't just compare Gomi in his prime as a fearless and mostly unbeated champ to an older Gomi who knows to fear defeat in UFC because he lost and got finished in UFC a few times.

i was concerned about yellow cards for timidity would hurt him, but maybe you are correct.

Do you think GSP in PRIDE FC would do pat pat distraction shots on the ground instead of knee to the head on the ground, then "It's aaaalll over!"? Rampage vs. Minowa was nasty.

Do you think GSP in PRIDE FC would do pat pat distraction shots on the ground instead of knee to the head on the ground, then "It's aaaalll over!"? Rampage vs. Minowa was nasty.

i actually could see that.

he pawed away at a one eyed kos for 23 minutes,

I really do not understand the fascination people have with the lower weight class guys from PRIDE. GSP and Hughes would have dominated Gomi, Sakurai, or whoever they had at the time. It would of been an annihilation. Gomi's done nothing significant in the UFC to date.

The difference between the UFC and PRIDE lower weight fighters is how they conducted shady business. In PRIDE Gomi would have a 10-15 lb weight advantage live at fight time, no wonder he was beating so many fighters in Japan.

GSP would probably do well, probably winning the tourney, because he's more athletic and has standup skills. However, he was younger than and not as skilled yet. And he has to also cut weight to 161 lbs.

But I don't think Hughes would be dominant. You're forgetting that Hughes has to go down to 161 lbs to fight. And there's no cage or elbows in PRIDE to help him out. So he would just depend on wrestling, GNP punches, and guess the knees would help him... Same size Hughes as Gomi and Sakurai, imo, would get KO'd sooner or later. I wouldn't doubt PRIDE would stand Hughes up just enough for Gomi to clock him clean!... I would give Sean Sherk a better chance than Hughes actually.

Gomi was beating many fighters in PRIDE because he was good, and had dynamite in his hands. I don't see the distinct size advantage you're making up here, other than the Jens Pulver fight... The UFC Gomi lost the aura already before he even came over.

GSP abuses any pride fighter it was a joke. A world class athlete will kill any wannabe.

Back