Pride rules on the ground?

Tarbender

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Just watched Arona vs. Rampage for the first time in a loooong time....aside from seeing the slam a bizzilion times. In a short time, does this fight show that Pride Rules led to more exciting fights on the ground?

No elbows led to Rampage posturing up to throw punches.....creating space for Arona to work for subs (mostly the arm bar and triangle)......then Arona pretty much knocking Rampage out with kicks from the bottom (why the hell did he stop.....he should have at least swept him).....I just found it to be really fun to watch.

Can't think off the top of my head, but can anyone point some examples (with the current UFC rules) of a fight were there was a pretty equal battle for both guys when on the ground?.......and any old favourite Pride ground fights as well!

I gotta use fight pass as much as I can before I cancel it! lol

On a side note, props to Mauro Renaulllo (spelling is prolly wrong) for calling the slam shortly before it happened!

Yes, the rules were FAR superior in every way. Plus you weren't automatically thought of as 'losing' by the judges/criteria if you were fighting from your back, there was no "bias for position", Pride looked at threats of finishing and damage first and foremost and barely gave a shit about who was on top/bottom or the ubiquitous 'control' bullshit (you are not controlling anything if you are being threatened or damaged). It was much more aligned to the spirit of real fighting.

Now its just an unbalanced joke for the fighter on top, fighting from your back is dead and its just a game of getting back to your feet ASAP.

Yes, the rules were FAR superior in every way.

Yea, that whole stop, move to the center, re-position, resta...STOP, someone moved, re-position, re-position, restart, wait, the guy on bottom moved a little, re-position, re-start shit was FAR superior....

Can't think off the top of my head, but can anyone point some examples (with the current UFC rules) of a fight were there was a pretty equal battle for both guys when on the ground?.......and any old favourite Pride ground fights as well!

it's been a long time since guys played transition the grappling game. BJ v Diaz was fun. as was (believe it or not) BJ v Hughes (the first 2 rounds) and of course Diaz v Karo v Sanchez (all 3 bouts).

but most of what you talk about has been "evolved out" of the UFC. top position simply counts for too much to ignore it.

i'll also do a shout out to Benson v Cowboy I. Benson relied on top position more than just elbows, yes, and it was possibly his inexperience more than his posturing that allowed Cowboy to get so many holds on him. but whatever it was that allowed for it, it was fun as shit. and i miss it too.

One FC's ruleset is better. still allows elbows, knees, and soccer kicks. And no ring, all of the repositioning and people possibly falling out. Scoring a fight as a whole was great, except for the part pride had about favoring the end of the fight. You have rounds, and you have artificial standups in MMA so it isn't like an actual fight where the guy who is doing better when it ends is the winner.

In general, I`m for knees on the ground, but less so for soccer kicks and stomps. But, knees on the ground would be a huge shift in the UFC "meta". Wrestlers would be even more dominant. Champs like Velasquez, Jones, and Esparza would never lose. That might be boring. But, overall it would contribute to less L-n-P which would be more exciting, I guess.

Jarl

Ring and a cage are two different monsters. On the ground with ropes you still have the ability for some movement. You're in a pretty sour situation if that happens in a caged octagon. You will get your head smashed into oblivion.

Can't think off the top of my head, but can anyone point some examples (with the current UFC rules) of a fight were there was a pretty equal battle for both guys when on the ground?

Niinimaki vs Yahya.

I agree PRIDE rules all the way. That said I get that some rules(Soccer kicks) are a no no now but on the ground PRIDE rules can still take the advantage. UFC rules were always et up to give an advantage to the (American) wrester time to even the playing field.

Yea, that whole stop, move to the center, re-position, resta...STOP, someone moved, re-position, re-position, restart, wait, the guy on bottom moved a little, re-position, re-start shit was FAR superior....

It wasn't always like that. That only happened once in a while.

Worse, was when a fighter would be clearly defending or have a very small cut, and the fight would get stopped.

Yes, boring fights on the ground never ever ever happened in Pride.

Trust me, I've been watching MMA since before UFC 1.

I agree PRIDE rules all the way. That said I get that some rules(Soccer kicks) are a no no now but on the ground PRIDE rules can still take the advantage. UFC rules were always et up to give an advantage to the (American) wrester time to even the playing field.

so... having knees means that the guy who can't wrestle will immediately be able to get top position or sprawl on a takedown right?

Lets just say GSP would have had enough yellow cards to build an industrial strength house.

Biggest thing is that scoring control needs to be abolished. Control is important, in that it allows you to damage your opponent when he can't adequately hurt you back. Score that

Call me crazy, but something about soccer kicks and head stomps on a grounded opponent never sat right with me.

I love PRIDE, but I saw more shitty ground fights in PRIDE than I do in modern UFC. Back then fighters were able to posture up even in the guards of bjj players because they were allowed to, grappling was not evolved and it was still a wrist control game opposed to the current overhooks, head control, butterfly or foot on hips and stand stand-or-sweep as soon as space in given. It had less to do with the lack of elbows and more to do with a different, less evolved era of ground approach.

That said, I'm a big advocate of knees to the head of grounded opponents. Front headlock should be a dangerous position, not this laughable game of placing a finger on the mat to "block" knees to the dome. North-south would be a panic position too.

Also, soccer kicks and stomps should stay out of the UFC, too much controversy, not a good image, and a matter of time before something bad happens. And this is coming from someone who expects to fight in ONEFC in the next two years.

Back