• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PRIDE never dies!?

One Championship is the closest thing to a spiritual successor to Pride. Rizin is wacky but lacking the international talent

I might have to check out one of the Rizin events. Don't get me wrong, UFC definitely has the best fighters, but PRIDE always put on the best events. If Rizin can pull off that spectacle, they will earn my money. Thanks for recommendation.
RIZIN 43, bud. It's the one.

Hopefully Rizin can grab some Bellator talent when Bellator is sold. That could give them some of the international talent they need.
They just signed a big deal to promote events in Azerbaijan. It sounds a whole lot like "who the fuck cares," until we realize Azerbaijan is a Caucasus country in proximity to other Caucasus countries and also Turkey and Armernia and Iran, countries with a long fighting history. The two Azerbaijani fighters who were on the last Bellator/RIZIN co-promotion looked world class. Shit is about to get popping.

One Championship is the closest thing to a spiritual successor to Pride. Rizin is wacky but lacking the international talent

Yeah KSW seems to have the theatrics but not the talent
One seems to have a bit of both and a bit interesting
Rizin is ok but it's ALL Japanese talent. I went live and i actually left right before the main event (like 8 hours later)

Org bashing and "not good enough for" talk aside, Pride will always exist in the hearts of us lucky enough to have loved & lived it. SoA's video captures the raw emotion missing from the UFC today. Pride F'n Ruled !

I still remember when us old timers used to always say PRIDE never dies.

Sweater of AV said:

Life, enjoying the ups and downs of the Kings of Bad-Assery.

The fact we still talk about PRIDE so fondly shows that it never dies, there's probably 15 year olds posting here who weren't even born while it was still around.

There was just something special about it that went beyond just individual fighters fighting each other. The production the announcers, the crowds gasping in awe, everything. I miss watching those PPVs man, they were just the best.

Yeah KSW seems to have the theatrics but not the talent
One seems to have a bit of both and a bit interesting
Rizin is ok but it's ALL Japanese talent. I went live and i actually left right before the main event (like 8 hours later)

The first three years in Rizin was the best (2015-2018) , plenty of foreigners who fought there.

PRIDE FC has a cooler name and logo and theme songs.

There's a lot of Pride threads recently wonder if its just nostalgia or if its an indication older fans just aren't that interested in the current sport.

The first three years in Rizin was the best (2015-2018) , plenty of foreigners who fought there.
The foreigners are starting to come so people talking about “no foreigners” are just not watching the events and just repeating talking points.

Japan was closed off for 3 years due to Covid so no shit they held events with mostly only Japanese

PRIDE FC has a cooler name and logo and theme songs.
Yeah, when I hear the word pride, I immediately think of Canada and their parades. LGBTQ have ruined the word pride and the naturally occurring phenomenon rainbow.

Anytime you attach pride to sexual orientation, race or color - you've entered some very dark waters. Yet, the west celebrates it and proclaims it's progressive. Insanity.

Yeah, when I hear the word pride, I immediately think of Canada and their parades. LGBTQ have ruined the word pride and the naturally occurring phenomenon rainbow.

Anytime you attach pride to sexual orientation, race or color - you've entered some very dark waters. Yet, the west celebrates it and proclaims it's progressive. Insanity.
Some rich guy should pay them to switch their symbol/word to something else.

To be faaaaair, the LGBT community has been shamed for so long, and in a lot of countries are still outlawed... those were/are the dark waters...
We can't begrudge them being happy that (most) people in the west don't really want to throw them off rooftops, and that in the US, it is now the bigots who are afraid to be homophobic in public or even on their facebook/twitter accounts or whatever, and have to hide online behind pseudonymes to spout their

type of stuff.
What a victory for them! They used to be scared of getting fired from their jobs for being homo, and no it's the bigots who are getting fired from their jobs for being homophobic...
What's not to celebrate about that?

They're not hurting anybody by celebrating the fact that they're not hunted down by bigots the way they used to
On the contrary, if those parades in the US can help some LGBT teenagers (who are much more prone to suicide than straight kids) realize that they don't have to be ashamed of their sexual preference, then it's a total win.

Wouldn't you want your kids, if they turned out to be gay, to see that people like them don't have to be scared & ashamed anymore as long as they stay in civilized countries?

PRIDE FC never dies <Oku04>
One way I enjoyed that "Never die" sentiment was how they kept the tournaments going from Hero's, to Sengoku, to DREAM, to IGF, to RIZIN...

I really enjoyed that continuity, since it gave you a solid reason to check out the first events of the new JMMA organization out there, and to watch the next one because you don't want to miss the next round of the GP.

Weren't there even some GPs that started in one org, and finished in another when the first org died out? I'm pretty sure there were a couple, but I can't remember on top of my head...

In the US, we had Strikeforce to keep those GPs alive, I wish I appreciated SF more when it was around, instead of wishing that the UFC would buy it ASAP so we'd have everyone under the same roof.
That was before I realized the big issues that would stem from a MMA monopoly <{chips}>

Bellator also had tournaments of course, especially when they started out and their GPs were the way they'd try to make home-bred stars...
But those season-long tournaments had a different feel to them, I'm not sure why exactly, but I wasn't super invested in them; maybe because I had never heard of 90% of the guys participating in the early GPs?

Honestly it took me quite a while before I became invested in Bellator, I'd say from 2012/2013 thanks to home brewed guys like Liam McGeary, Michael "Venom" Page, Douglas Lima, the Pitbull brothers, Michael Chandler, Ben Askren .... or the rivalries between King Mo & Emmanuel Newton, and Chandler vs Alvarez got my interest.

PRIDE NEVER DIE

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back