Preemptive head movement?

austin90

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have had some defensive success by incorporating preemptive head movement following strikes. Namely, I throw right straight then slight Bob to clear take my a bit further off line of an opponents right, followed by a weave back to my own right in attempt to get under orthodox hooks or Southpaw lefts. I have "felt" safe incorporating the bob after my right hand as it has allow many counter rights to miss, However I feel very vulnerable weaving/boning back and to my right. I feel I have only been lucky in not bobbing/weaving directly into a lead uppercut or southpaw left, though it has allowed me to avoid many left hooks that would have otherwise landed.

TLDR:
My Question ; How does one safely recover after throwing a right hand bearing in mind counter right hands and left hooks, left uppercuts and southpaw lefts? defensive responsibility etc.
I realize some do not like subscribe to the notion of preemptive head movement ( as a result of hip move my) , but shouldn't I take some proactive as opposed to reactive measure to avoid shots?

Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate all and any insight, with some particular interest in those with consideration to the "classic stance" discussed by Sinister. Thank you all

What you described doing is fine, there's numerous options I teach from using the hips, to pivots, or side-steps. All lead into either another attack, or a reset.

I have had some defensive success by incorporating preemptive head movement following strikes. Namely, I throw right straight then slight Bob to clear take my a bit further off line of an opponents right, followed by a weave back to my own right in attempt to get under orthodox hooks or Southpaw lefts. I have "felt" safe incorporating the bob after my right hand as it has allow many counter rights to miss, However I feel very vulnerable weaving/boning back and to my right. I feel I have only been lucky in not bobbing/weaving directly into a lead uppercut or southpaw left, though it has allowed me to avoid many left hooks that would have otherwise landed.

TLDR:
My Question ; How does one safely recover after throwing a right hand bearing in mind counter right hands and left hooks, left uppercuts and southpaw lefts? defensive responsibility etc.
I realize some do not like subscribe to the notion of preemptive head movement ( as a result of hip move my) , but shouldn't I take some proactive as opposed to reactive measure to avoid shots?

Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate all and any insight, with some particular interest in those with consideration to the "classic stance" discussed by Sinister. Thank you all

You're just anticipating the counter which is thinking ahead. Nothing wrong with that. A lot of ppl teach that.

some parts of what you said i had trouble understanding, there might be a word or two missing lol

maybe you are slipping too far to the left, which is why you feel vulnerable coming back to the right. i would just pivot from there.

note that versus a southpaw, if you slip to your left, you avoid my cross but you are in perfect position for my right hook.

Some trainers also like to have their fighters finish with something from the lead hand(jab/hook) then stepping off the line. It helps reestablish your boxing range while stuffing their offense.

Clean up your work.

Awesome insight everyone, I really appreciate getting yall's perspective on these points. I am going to incorporate the side step Sinister mentioned , as well as throwing a parting jab or hook; " cleaning up your work" as said by Lukewall. i underutilize the pivot as well. Awesome
Happy you mentioned the southpaw right hook roventu, I always sleep on that nasty shot

Yes it's always good to have a built in exit plan but mix it up. Some options after a right straight:

-bob and weave back under to the right
-bob but snap back staying low on the left
-add a step right and forward to that weave to take your further out to get a better angle
-pivot out to your left, attack from the new angle
-double bob and weave so you come back to the left, you can cut it in half so you only get to the middle before reversing direction to speed things up
-step past with your right foot on the rear straight, keep low and then turn to face if you are comfortable switching stances, otherwise bring your left foot back to the front before turning
-double up the right hand, an unexpected combination for a lot of people
-bob and then at the bottom throw a body shot or uppercut, an unexpected punch as it's halfway through the anticipated bob and weave
-skip step out to the left after the right hand, safe but you can't follow up
-clinch after the right by allow yourself to fall into your right, normally over hooking their lead with your right
-Bob and weave in the opposite direction. Tyson used to do this. Takes a while to get used to but really messes up an opponent making ready to counter your normal bob and weave.
-And one of the most basic but effective recoveries or exits is to jab and then back out, hands up choosing different directions each time.
-And when backing out keep in mind changing levels i.e. try backing out but staying low.

Back