Pre Muay Thai Training

Adrenaline87

White Belt
Reaction score
My entire life I have always done whatever I can to ensure that I am setting myself up for success. Over the past few months I have been training daily to begin taking Muay Thai classes, I want to impress my instructors and show them that I have the dedication needed to be taken serious by them and my school/organization.

As I said previously, I have been training for months now and weigh 141 lbs at 7.0% body fat. The only problem is, I have not been training any Muay Thai skill sets, just cardio and weight lifting :rolleyes:. The date I set for myself to begin taking Muay Thai classes is April 1st, and I do not want to go in the first day and feel like a complete virgin, that will be completely frustrating for me. I love asking questions, but I hate feeling self conscious due to my lack of knowledge in a specific area. So do any of you have some simple drills that will help me mentally connect what I am doing now, with my future formal Muay Thai training? How do you all feel about training 3/4 days a week with Muay Thai and 3/4 days a week in BJJ, would that be too much to comprehend at one time, or good for building a healthy well rounded platform?

Thankfully I live in the Northern Virginia area, so I have a plethora of excellent schools and instructors to learn from. However, I don't want them to feel disrespected by my lack of preparation for my training. Any advice would be great to hear, like I said I am trying to take this all very seriously, so don't feel as if your replies will be unread, thanks in advance.

I would say just go to the gym and begin training. you dont want to try to learn from youtube or something silly, then go into the gym and try to show them you know something but its not the way they want.

Each gym will teach you the way they belive and know, to try to prepare without going i think would be a waste of time. just take some class's blend in and if you learn well and progress well your actions will impress them more then trying to walk in there with a false idea that you know the basic's when you probably dont.

my 2 cents.

ps its easier to learn something fresh then trying to unlearn bad habbits and relearn it.

I think your doing the right thing, cardio and conditioning is a good place to start. Muay thai really emphasises the importance of conditioning, the less time you need to spend on that the more time you can dedicate to technique.

Just make sure you're fitness is good, don't try to learn any muay thai skills before you go, let the instructors show you where to start.

don't worry about looking like a newb because you are. your trainers are there to do exactly that, train you! let them do their job. if you try to learn stuff on your own you'll pick up bad habits that will piss of your trainers and will be hard for you to break. just man up and go train

The only thing you are going to impress them with is your ability to keep you mouth shut and keep going after you are exhausted.

Don't mention how your shoulders are burning, your neck is sore, or your shins hurt from kicking a bag. Just keep quiet and keep going.

Sorry man, but i think you're over-analyzing things here. Don't expect to be perfect at all. The only way you'll become better is to look like a noob and face the criticism with open ears and an open mind. Even the instructors 100% don't expect you to be "prepared".

Martial arts isn't about appearances, it isn't about people thinking you are a tough guy on your first day. It's about learning. Join and train in the class NOW. If you wanna learn MT and BJJ do it. You are further delaying it by doing this, and setting yourself up for disappointment. You could be learning AND conditioning on the side right now.

Not to sound judgemental, but by the way you are posting your bodyfat or whatever, it seems you need a confidence and self-assurance boost. If you are lacking heart, the instructor will know, and if anything is important on the first day, it's heart, and your will to push yourself past exhaustion.

Leave your ego out the door, trust me, you won't need it. And stop procrastiplanning, just train.

You aren't 'disrespecting' anyone by not putting in some kind of crazy preparation for training. Provided you turn up in adequate physical condition to train, with an open mind ready to receive whatever they tell you, that's all that can be asked for.

End of story.

Learn to jump rope well if you got the time. That is my generic piece of pre-training advice because the speed rope will become your friend.

I just had my first MT class yesterday and I went in totally unprepared, not knowing anything. The instructor had his assistant pull me to the side after the warmup, and we specifically went over all the basic fundamentals for about an hour. There is no way I could pick up everything I did by watching some videos or youtube for a few weeks. Just go, you'll learn so much in your first day. The instructor was also very happy that at least I had no Habits, instead of having bad habits to begin with.

Learn to jump rope well if you got the time. That is my generic piece of pre-training advice because the speed rope will become your friend.

i agree with this guy, if you're gonna do anything, start developing your rhythm on the skipping rope.

don't worry about looking like a newb because you are. your trainers are there to do exactly that, train you! let them do their job. if you try to learn stuff on your own you'll pick up bad habits that will piss of your trainers and will be hard for you to break. just man up and go train

100% agree, having just started Muay Thai myself i'd say the one thing you can do if you want to get in good cardio shape and learn to skip like others have said, because it is a hell of a work out

but the best thing you can do in any martial art and life in general is have the "beginners mind" lose your pride, lose your ego, and just listen and learn from your instructor as much as possible. Theres no shame in being new at something and not knowing what to do if that is exactly what you are, the worst thing you could ever do is try to act like you are anything else.

Dont learn any skills until you go there.

Yes you can do both Muay Thai and BJJ, I would probably start off with at least 1 full rest day then once youve built your work capacity up you can probably start doing some two-a-days if the gyms schedule and your personal schedule allows it.

Best thing to do, is show respect, make friends with the trainers and the regulars/the main guys and you'll enjoy your training. If youre like the quiet meek guy that just stands in the corner hitting a bag you will soon get bored.

Practice jumping rope, get your fitness and strength up and enjoy your training!

Whats the point of "Pre training?" Just go to the gym and start learning...

probably best to just go in there and start training. the advice on jumping rope is very good. if its your intent to impress the instructor with your skills dont bother. respect and coachability will impress him a lot more

It is good to begin with no knowledge, you have no bad habits. ask Questions and always listen.

Yeah I'm gonna agree with everyone here, just get in there and do it. I started Muay Thai about 2 months ago, but I push myself harder than a lot of the other people there (this also speeds up the conditioning process) and LISTEN and APPLY what the coaches tell you, believe me that is all you need to impress your coaches.

My entire life I have always done whatever I can to ensure that I am setting myself up for success. Over the past few months I have been training daily to begin taking Muay Thai classes, I want to impress my instructors and show them that I have the dedication needed to be taken serious by them and my school/organization.

As I said previously, I have been training for months now and weigh 141 lbs at 7.0% body fat. The only problem is, I have not been training any Muay Thai skill sets, just cardio and weight lifting :rolleyes:. The date I set for myself to begin taking Muay Thai classes is April 1st, and I do not want to go in the first day and feel like a complete virgin, that will be completely frustrating for me. I love asking questions, but I hate feeling self conscious due to my lack of knowledge in a specific area. So do any of you have some simple drills that will help me mentally connect what I am doing now, with my future formal Muay Thai training? How do you all feel about training 3/4 days a week with Muay Thai and 3/4 days a week in BJJ, would that be too much to comprehend at one time, or good for building a healthy well rounded platform?

Thankfully I live in the Northern Virginia area, so I have a plethora of excellent schools and instructors to learn from. However, I don't want them to feel disrespected by my lack of preparation for my training. Any advice would be great to hear, like I said I am trying to take this all very seriously, so don't feel as if your replies will be unread, thanks in advance.

Sounds like you have the physical ability...... My advice, go in humble no ego, take criticism as constructive, listen and learn, work your ass off! This will gain you respect faster than any thing else. Not to mention, it will make you a better fighter much faster!

So Adrenaline.... Did you start yet? How did it go?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
King Jinping
Back