pre-kickboxing training.

Morid!n

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've done some boxing but I want to start in Kickboxing.
I know a gym in the city where my dorm is, so when the year starts again, I want to start training.

But my cardio and strength is terrible. I've read the faq for some practical tips but I still have some questions.
How can I improve my leg strength other than by running and rope-skipping?
How can I improve my leg flexibility?

I'm not going to start training of some instructional videos to avoid picking up some bad habits, but I don't want to go to the gym start in the state in which I am now.

Thx in advance

Morid!n said:
I've done some boxing but I want to start in Kickboxing.
I know a gym in the city where my dorm is, so when the year starts again, I want to start training.

But my cardio and strength is terrible. I've read the faq for some practical tips but I still have some questions.
How can I improve my leg strength other than by running and rope-skipping?
How can I improve my leg flexibility?

I'm not going to start training of some instructional videos to avoid picking up some bad habits, but I don't want to go to the gym start in the state in which I am now.

Thx in advance

By hitting the mitts and practicing.

There is no easy route out of this.

But is there nothing I can do in advance? my re-sits have finally passed, and I still have a month with nothing planned.

Trying, stretching 2-3 times a day, maybe pick up jogging 20 minutes or so every other day, and toss in a few body weight exercises. This will get you in half decent shape, but you'll actually have to good to the class is you ever wanna get better, maybe you can try shadow boxing and so polymetrics too,, that should help aswell. Do worry about being the best in your class, because their is always gonna be someone better. Try to focus on your own development, put in 100% all the time and you will see great improvments. You said you already did some boxing, so atleast you got some good hands and experience to back you up. If you really want to be flexible, Yoga is the way to go, pick up a book or a tape.. one of those 15 minute strech a day things, do that and you'll been kicking off heads in no time.

Yoga could be good for flexibility. As far as leg strength goes, start doing squats - the can really help but you must do them every day and steadily increase the number of reps. Calf raises can help as well. Also, do not neglect your abs, as ab strength will become a factor as well.

abs are big but try to focus on entire core development, like hip flexors and work those hips along with abs.. o most people get the 6 pac but forget about those bottom onces, heres a wickid little work out for the bottom part, lie on ur back legs out straight. Now put ur arms behind u and hold ur boddy in a wide V shape. Now write the alphabet with ur legs, keep them together and try and keep them straight. If ur doing it write, about half way you'll feel the burn in ur abs, and ur flexors too. Great little body weight exercise that works.

I would say focus on doing cardio work such as jogging and skipping. Maybe skip for about 15 minutes then take a break for 2 minute then if you have a heavybag do 4 or 5 rounds on it while focusing on your breathing. I have found that kickboxing takes much more energy out of me than regular western boxing so just try to get into some shape. Like these guys said bodyweight exercises are great to work on push ups, situps and squats

Try Guerrilla Cardio program..Ive implemented it into my bag and mitt work for Muay thai and its AWESOME

Back