POTWR: Inaugural Address 2019

What types of threads are you most interested in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In recent years, there seems to be a rush of really lame guys on the internet who want to say and do obnoxious things with complete clemency. Of course, they use "free speech" as their defense. I think it's pathetic. You can say whatever you want, but there will be a reaction. That reaction can range from being celebrated to be ostracized. You have to deal with the result of your words and actions like an adult.
I think it's more important to protect those guys ability to say stupid shit than it is to banish them. You know where that ends up, and it's not a good place. And ultimately the only person who loses, is you.

I think it's more important to protect those guys ability to say stupid shit than it is to banish them. You know where that ends up, and it's not a good place. And ultimately the only person who loses, is you.

I think it's a terrible idea to protect people from the natural consequences of their words and actions. Some of the most important aspects of adulthood are accountability and personal responsibility.

If you are so obnoxious or immoral that people want to ostracize you, then you have to sleep in the bed that you made.

I think it's a terrible idea to protect people from the consequences of their actions. Some of the most important aspects of adulthood are accountability and personal responsibility.

If you are so obnoxious or immoral that people want to ostracize you, then you have to sleep in the bed that you made.
Oh I agree with the consequences part. But just blocking people from even being able to make fools of themselves is worse than letting them make fools of themselves.

Oh I agree with the consequences part. But just blocking people from even being able to make fools of themselves is worse than letting them make fools of themselves.

They should definitely have the opportunity to make fools of themselves. But if they make fools of themselves repeatedly, they may lose their privilege to continue making fools of themselves in that specific forum. For example, these guys who get themselves banned from Youtube for repeatedly breaking their user agreement. They had their chance, they spoiled their chance, and now they have to deal with it.

One thing that I find kind of hilarious is that I keep hearing, "It's about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome" from a certain group of Internet guys. But then those same guys want equality of outcome when it comes to social acceptance. They want to enjoy all the privileges that more socially successful people enjoy. That's not how life works.

You have the opportunity to be heard. But if you think you can demand the opportunity to be heard, anywhere you want, anytime you want, as many times as you want, then you are being a bit childish.

Yeah, it would be topic specific, but I am leaning towards voting for what issue it will be.

I like the idea. Not sure how that plays out as a thread though. Not only agreeing on what to do a mailing drive on, but will it generate any interesting discussion. Without at least one topic that most of the WR agrees on I don't know how far this idea can go.

@Cubo de Sangre I think you should consider banning all Left-leaning posters. They add nothing of value anyway. It would eliminate the need for debate and we could start going forward with making progress. You could instantly become GOAT POTWR. Just something to think about.
Echo chambers are no fun. Without open discourse it just becomes a circle jerk, and I don`t mean the band.

Echo chambers are no fun. Without open discourse it just becomes a circle jerk, and I don`t mean the band.

Bueugh+fair+point+_8a619f36fb09680bfc02b1068eae1ee1.gif

On the other hand, persecuting your enemies is also fun.

I like the idea. Not sure how that plays out as a thread though. Not only agreeing on what to do a mailing drive on, but will it generate any interesting discussion. Without at least one topic that most of the WR agrees on I don't know how far this idea can go.

I actually think it is more important to find an issue that will get people to actually engage in mailing action.

I think it is fine if the issue doesn't include everyone, because the next issue could be your issue. This is more about actually trying to engage in action, instead of just discussing things here.

I think it is a crying shame that we have this internet thing, that makes it really easy to find people who agree with you, and yet it never seems to be used for joint political action. Well it does, but on Facebook and Twitter, where the FBI starts giving you special attention.

Part of the problem is assuming that giving the fool a platform means that he will debate his position in good faith. The other part of the problem is that people assume that all people will listen to an argument in good faith and come to a rational conclusion based on the strength of the argument.

Part of the problem is assuming that giving the fool a platform means that he will debate his position in good faith. The other part of the problem is that people assume that all people will listen to an argument in good faith and come to a rational conclusion based on the strength of the argument.
I believe we have about the same faith in people to make good decisions (not much) but... if you dont even give them the opportunity to open up their minds.... then ultimately we are really doing nothing. And shouldnt bother saying anything at all! IMO

I actually think it is more important to find an issue that will get people to actually engage in mailing action.

I think it is fine if the issue doesn't include everyone, because the next issue could be your issue. This is more about actually trying to engage in action, instead of just discussing things here.

I think it is a crying shame that we have this internet thing, that makes it really easy to find people who agree with you, and yet it never seems to be used for joint political action. Well it does, but on Facebook and Twitter, where the FBI starts giving you special attention.

I'm interested. I just need to hear a detailed plan.

They should definitely have the opportunity to make fools of themselves. But if they make fools of themselves repeatedly, they may lose their privilege to continue making fools of themselves in that specific forum. For example,...

Look no further than this thread. @RockstarChris wanted to ignore the rules and my efforts to redirect him. Now he's reply-banned and I went so far as to have a couple of his posts scrubbed. Some I left, just so people can see what leads to the ban.

If I give someone one of these it means don't push it. I think that's fair warning.

<Deported1>

I'm interested. I just need to hear a detailed plan.

I guess I'm more interested in winging it.

Figure this thread will he be here a year, and at some point finding a interesting topic will become challenging.

I don't think this idea will win the poll. I'm more interested in getting 5 posters that are interested in the idea.

I guess I'm more interested in winging it.

Figure this thread will he be here a year, and at some point finding a interesting topic will become challenging.

I don't think this idea will win the poll. I'm more interested in getting 5 posters that are interested in the idea.

If I try to define it too much, I worry it becomes my issue, where I'm trying to get people to follow my idea, as opposed to something they are participating in.

If I try to define it too much, I worry it becomes my issue, where I'm trying to get people to follow my idea, as opposed to something they are participating in.

What about starting a thread in the main section that tries to find where many of us have common ground? I'd rather not do a thread on a mailing drive for one issue that's heavily divided along partisan lines. Or have two issues, one from each side?

But yeah, filling up 20 sticky threads isn't going to be easy.

Look no further than this thread. @RockstarChris wanted to ignore the rules and my efforts to redirect him. Now he's reply-banned and I went so far as to have a couple of his posts scrubbed. Some I left, just so people can see what leads to the ban.

If I give someone one of these it means don't push it. I think that's fair warning.

<Deported1>
I like it. I will attempt to refrain from making bad jokes while drunk and/or stoned.

Best of luck to you Cubo.

What about starting a thread in the main section that tries to find where many of us have common ground? I'd rather not do a thread on a mailing drive for one issue that's heavily divided along partisan lines. Or have two issues, one from each side?

But yeah, filling up 20 sticky threads isn't going to be easy.

Oh, totally agree on the partisan issue.

Kind of wish the Saudi assassination and Yemen deal was dominating the news cycle, when this thread was in a lull.

Definitely looking for a non-partisan issue.

I like it. I will attempt to refrain from making bad jokes while drunk and/or stoned.

Best of luck to you Cubo.

Thanks and thanks! Fortunately we have an entire forum to make bad drunk jokes in.

<GinJuice>

Oh, totally agree on the partisan issue.

Kind of wish the Saudi assassination and Yemen deal was dominating the news cycle, when this thread was in a lull.

Definitely looking for a non-partisan issue.

That's a great one. Hard to imagine we couldn't build a bi-partisan consensus on Saudi Arabia murdering journalists in an embassy.

With 10 months of threads to fill, I'm open to ideas. And from my experience it'll be the ones that don't sound that awesome to begin with that turn out the best.

Since you're an expert on Native Americans, how about the topic of poverty on reservations and what can be done about it (if anything). Or more specifically, is segregation bad for them and should something be done?
I can certainly talk about Native poverty, at least in the way it's tied to my own research with education. I was also thinking I could do something about the history of boarding schools specifically, which is less dry and also rollllls right into conversations about poverty and other pervasive, systemic issues.

I can certainly talk about Native poverty, at least in the way it's tied to my own research with education. I was also thinking I could do something about the history of boarding schools specifically, which is less dry and also rollllls right into conversations about poverty and other pervasive, systemic issues.

I'm open to any topic you want to do. I trust your judgment when it comes to making a contribution around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back