POTWR: Inaugural Address 2019

What types of threads are you most interested in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
btw @Cubo de Sangre i'm still open to history debates or discussion topics. Not sure what my workload will be this term, but let me know if that's something you or anyone else is still interested in. I've still got a few ideas rolling around in teh ol noodle.

there is no option to say "i dont care"...

That option is called not voting. Cheers.

btw @Cubo de Sangre i'm still open to history debates or discussion topics. Not sure what my workload will be this term, but let me know if that's something you or anyone else is still interested in. I've still got a few ideas rolling around in teh ol noodle.

Great! What particular topics might be fun? @Kafir-kun may have an interest in exploring some history. What do you think Kafir? Interested in a short debate, or possibly finding something you and Pete disagree on and then jointly crafting an OP for discussion?

Who else likes history?

That option is called not voting. Cheers.

Great! What particular topics might be fun? @Kafir-kun may have an interest in exploring some history. What do you think Kafir? Interested in a short debate, or possibly finding something you and Pete disagree on and then jointly crafting an OP for discussion?

Who else likes history?
@Pupi is also a historian and could bring a lot of knowledge to the table

The "change my mind" option is popular early. Whose mind could we change on something?

I file that under "educational."

We all personally know about .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% (I should probably double the zeros.) of human understanding over the millennium, therefore, should in theory be open to new ideas and historical as well as cultural education.

We all personally know about .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% (I should probably double the zeros.) of human understanding over the millennium, therefore, should in theory be open to new ideas and historical as well as cultural education.
i would only endorse cubo if he subscribed to my youtube channel.

lol

I'm afraid there's something like 10 posters in the entire War Room who have put in the reading, are willing to do the background research, and are competent to handle the different ideas funneled through different cultural perspectives to give a clear and educational debate about the meaning of history. (For example I have an MA in history and yet in most topics could only give a surface view, and do not have the current temperament or time to dredge up the literature to really give a deeply insightful viewpoint on most topics... with the exception of Modern Chinese History and some topics on Modern Japan.)

I mean the concept is noble, but who could really carry all that water from the cistern of knowledge to our computer screens?

Unrelated: (That kind of reminds me. The @TheGreatA and I had a dispute over WWII history and I said, "I'll reply tomorrow." about 5 or 6 months ago. Sorry about that. I'm easily distracted, like a parakeet lost in a cat store.)

Good point.

I'm afraid there's something like 10 posters in the entire War Room who have put in the reading, are willing to do the background research, and are competent to handle the different ideas funneled through different cultural perspectives to give a clear and educational debate about the meaning of history. (For example I have an MA in history and yet in most topics could only give a surface view, and do not have the current temperament or time to dredge up the literature to really give a deeply insightful viewpoint on most topics... with the exception of Modern Chinese History and some topics on Modern Japan.)

I mean the concept is noble, but who could really carry all that water from the cistern of knowledge to our computer screens?

Don't overthink it. Karate forum. Yaddy, yaddy.

Unrelated: (That kind of reminds me. The @TheGreatA and I had a dispute over WWII history and I said, "I'll reply tomorrow." about 5 or 6 months ago. Sorry about that. I'm easily distracted, like a parakeet lost in a cat store.)
I have no issues talking about areas i'm at least somewhat knowledgeable in, so long as the format isn't just a bunch of turds badgering me to prove every thought. I'd be interested in presenting a topic or figure and offering my own analysis, or perhaps doing something similar to what was done in the debate league. My biggest issue is workload, because getting on the internet and writing about history is a lot less appealing when i'm in the middle of a bunch of serious research or whatever. I'm an Americanist that specializes in Native history, specifically Indian Education, but i've got a decent working knowledge of a variety of other topics. Between me, you, and Pupi (if he in interested) we could cover a lot of turf. In my experience, though, much of what people seem interested in is heavily Eurocentric, modern or medieval, and i'm not great with much of that outside some familiarity with middle ages Britain. We had good success with the Civil War debate, and that's a topic I can definitely wrangle. I've toyed heavily with the idea of finding a way to make a thread about William Walker and maybe I could put something together there. Both the character and the context there is damn fascinating.
Edit: I'm also definitely not interested in discussing the history of philosophy (any philosophy). I know there are a decent amount of people on here that like to talk/argue about philosophy.

Alright, you're in! What's your thread gonna be about?

lol

If I were to make "any" thread that was vast and all encompassing it would probably be a 10,000 word construction of the diametric directions of modern philosophy and how we should encourage different viewpoints in republicanism and for the Western/world sense of freedom.

A summary of the relationship between Aristotle/Nietzsche, Mills/Burke, and Rousseau/Locke, all riding as an encouragement, reaction to, or criticism of the deeper waters of religion and cultural change.

To provide a framework where posters of all backgrounds could see the genesis and trends of all their views to better find answers to such questions as:

"When is political violence acceptable in the face of oppression? What is the standard..." because that standard is incredibly watery and ambiguous, are are many things underpinning the left/right slap fests we see daily.

If people could understand in a very basic way "why" and "who" created the thoughts they have for FREEDOM! and EQUALITY! as absolutes they are willing to turn into rage infested weevils over, we might all plot a greater understanding of life.

I think three or four people might read that thread, and I would get 1 or 2 likes.

Totally worth it!

I have no issues talking about areas i'm at least somewhat knowledgeable in, so long as the format isn't just a bunch of turds badgering me to prove every thought. I'd be interested in presenting a topic or figure and offering my own analysis, or perhaps doing something similar to what was done in the debate league. My biggest issue is workload, because getting on the internet and writing about history is a lot less appealing when i'm in the middle of a bunch of serious research or whatever. I'm an Americanist that specializes in Native history, specifically Indian Education, but i've got a decent working knowledge of a variety of other topics. Between me, you, and Pupi (if he in interested) we could cover a lot of turf. In my experience, though, much of what people seem interested in is heavily Eurocentric, modern or medieval, and i'm not great with much of that outside some familiarity with middle ages Britain. We had good success with the Civil War debate, and that's a topic I can definitely wrangle. I've toyed heavily with the idea of finding a way to make a thread about William Walker and maybe I could put something together there. Both the character and the context there is damn fascinating.
Edit: I'm also definitely not interested in discussing the history of philosophy (any philosophy). I know there are a decent amount of people on here that like to talk/argue about philosophy.

That sounds pretty good, and would work really well in the area of biography. Although, sadly biographies are a terrible way to learn truth in history (the writers tend to be sycophantic and positive in the end, not always but...) getting a real picture of different figures and a debate about their place in history would be rather fascinating.

That sounds pretty good, and would work really well in the area of biography. Although, sadly biographies are a terrible way to learn truth in history (the writers tend to be sycophantic and positive in the end, not always but...) getting a real picture of different figures and a debate about their place in history would be rather fascinating.
Truuuuuuth. Lord, do I agree with you on that lol
In fairness to us historians that do biographical work, though, a lot of what gets published and popularized is written by fucking journalists.

a lot of what gets published and popularized is written by fucking journalists.

A thousand years of likes upon your house.

We should look at the reasons though and acknowledge that's all right.

- Journalists have the popular press connections

- Journalists have the power of their publications adding to their reputation.

- Journalists know how to write things most people actually want to read.

- Most historians have devolved to writing about niche subjects on RCG subjects, which are boring and divisive in the negative. I am not shocked most people do not want to read about 17th century sandal styles in the post colonial Caribbean.

That's fine though, a good academic historian might only sell a handful of books, but whoever reads the books will be a hidden hand in directing all kinds of policy decisions in politics and civil engineering.

(Note: you probably understand or get 110% of this post. I mainly spelled out the points for other posters who might not understand and be like, "Oh wow, so that's how it works.")

A thousand years of likes upon your house.

We should look at the reasons though and acknowledge that's all right.

- Journalists have the popular press connections

- Journalists have the power of their publications adding to their reputation.

- Journalists know how to write things most people actually want to read.

- Most historians have devolved to writing about niche subjects on RCG subjects, which are boring and divisive in the negative. I am not shocked most people do not want to read about 17th century sandal styles in the post colonial Caribbean.

That's fine though, a good academic historian might only sell a handful of books, but whoever reads the books will be a hidden hand in directing all kinds of policy decisions in politics and civil engineering.

(Note: you probably understand or get 110% of this post. I mainly spelled out the points for other posters who might not understand and be like, "Oh wow, so that's how it works.")
It's always refreshing to talk with other historians that get this shit, man
Your points above are a big part of why i'm in a public history track right now. A lot of my colleagues are medievalists that have pretty much resigned themselves to writing about stuff almost nobody will ever want to read, or would understand anyway. Being a Native historian of Native history, it was very important to me that I develop the communication skills- in person and on the page- to make connections to the lay audiences that I want interacting with my work. This was particularly important given that my research focus brings me right into policy implications for the present day; i'm trying to put stuff together that can make a case for actual structural improvement in my own demographics (I came up through an Indian Ed program and want to help fix them).

Greetings War Room Sherbros,

Welcome to the first Presidential sticky-thread of 2019, and the first of the Cubo/Chris term. Initially here I'd like to do two things. The first is to establish the thread rules moving forward, and the second is to get an idea of what types of threads you're most interested in seeing.

Here's a rough draft outline of the rules.
  • No insulting the other posters
  • Certain words should be avoided to describe someone's position/ideas (stupid, dumb, retarded)
  • Don't refer to groups as libtards or conservatards
  • Stay on topic
  • Humor is fine, but if your post is nothing more than a joke then don't post it
  • Posts that don't comply will be removed and the poster will be issued a reply ban
  • All questions over deleted posts and reply bans please direct privately to @Cubo de Sangre
Let me know what you think. What to add? What to make more clear?

As you can see, there's a poll attached. Please use that to indicate your thread preferences. If you don't see something you'd like then let us know. All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

The first thread is tentatively scheduled to open on Saturday. It will be a round-table discussion on police shootings and interactions with the public, hosted by @nhbbear. The panel will be comprised of board members who have worked or currently work as a law enforcement officer or in the legal field.

Happy New Year,

Cubo

EDIT: To be clear, potentially anyone can host a thread topic. Volunteers are needed for this little experiment to be the best it can be. Got a thread you wanna start that would be better under the proposed rule-set? Now's your chance. Let's hear those ideas.

PS: As a one-time thing, you may have been tagged in because you voted in the final round of the election. Moving forward please keep an eye on the sticky-section.

All hail the chief.

Can you add a mailing drive to the options?

I would be interested in seeing who is really interested in that.

I'm sure I can drive some interest by topic, but would be curious who the general idea appeals to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back