Elections POTWR 2019: State of the War Room #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubo de Sangre

F65
@plutonium
Reaction score
Greetings War Room Sherbros,

We're a little over 1/3 of the way through the twenty different threads promised to you by the Cubo/Chris campaign. The next installment is scheduled for Monday the 15th and will be focused on homelessness. In the meantime, here's an opportunity for everyone to give feedback on how things have gone so far. I'd also like to remind folks that there's still room for anyone looking to spearhead a thread. So if you've got a topic you'd like to see explored then please let me know.

A special thanks to all of our contributors so far.

Cheers,

Cubo

POTWR 2019 Vol 1: Shots Fired! Examining Police Shootings In America
POTWR 2019 Vol 2: Happy Happy Joy Joy
POTWR 2019 Vol 3: Examining Opioid Addiction In America
POTWR 2019 Vol 4: Repeal Or Respect the 2nd Amendment?
POTWR 2019 Vol 5: Based On Known Facts, Would You Remove Trump From Office?
POTWR 2019 Vol 6: Internet Security Basics

POTWR 2019 Vol 7: Change My Mind That The Word "Platform" Is Orwellian

I was in a workshop with our company's Agile Transformation people last week, and their stance was that asking for feedback is to be considered the prime chance for personal and professional growth, as people will be more open and honest than if they'd just give you feedback spontaneously out of their own motivation. I therefore absolutely applaud this opportunity to give feedback, and it's good to see you do it publicly. Serving the WR!

I think most of these threads have been quite interesting, much more than I would have expected, tbh. Not only you but also especially @nhbbear put in a crazy amount of work, and it paid off in my opinion. Also, you have largely kept to your own schedule in terms of thread iterations if I am not mistaken, which takes discipline and planning, so much respect here also.

The threads could be frequented more. Most have underperformed in terms of post quantity. This appears to be a general problem of Sticky threads as there are posters who never even check the Stickies. At the same time, you have employed rather strict reply ban rules. I absolutely understand why you did this, but it often punishes those who did engage in the POTWR threads and they probably won't be back for the next installment. That's a problem from my point of view.

Just a thought: Maybe you should decide whether you want to be a participant in the discussion or rather the master of ceremony. Being both results in situation like in the last thread where I think some people eventually got the feeling that you reply banned them because they engaged you. That may not be the case, but it doesn't really matter if people check out and the pool of debaters gets consecutively smaller.

Why do I think deciding to be either participant or MC would be a good idea? Well, as a participant, you're free to engage in discussions. You would, however, hand over thread starting responsibilities and POTWR rule enforcement over to a different TS. This avoids potential conflicts of interest (or the appearance thereof). On the other hand, when you are the TS, you would retain rule enforcement, but just steer the discussion if needed without getting too involved yourself.

I was in a workshop with our company's Agile Transformation people last week, and their stance was that asking for feedback is to be considered the prime chance for personal and professional growth, as people will be more open and honest than if they'd just give you feedback spontaneously out of their own motivation. I therefore absolutely applaud this opportunity to give feedback, and it's good to see you do it publicly. Serving the WR!

I think most of these threads have been quite interesting, much more than I would have expected, tbh. Not only you but also especially @nhbbear put in a crazy amount of work, and it paid off in my opinion. Also, you have largely kept to your own schedule in terms of thread iterations if I am not mistaken, which takes discipline and planning, so much respect here also.

The threads could be frequented more. Most have underperformed in terms of post quantity. This appears to be a general problem of Sticky threads as there are posters who never even check the Stickies. At the same time, you have employed rather strict reply ban rules. I absolutely understand why you did this, but it often punishes those who did engage in the POTWR threads and they probably won't be back for the next installment. That's a problem from my point of view.

Just a thought: Maybe you should decide whether you want to be a participant in the discussion or rather the master of ceremony. Being both results in situation like in the last thread where I think some people eventually got the feeling that you reply banned them because they engaged you. That may not be the case, but it doesn't really matter if people check out and the pool of debaters gets consecutively smaller.

Why do I think deciding to be either participant or MC would be a good idea? Well, as a participant, you're free to engage in discussions. You would, however, hand over thread starting responsibilities and POTWR rule enforcement over to a different TS. This avoids potential conflicts of interest (or the appearance thereof). On the other hand, when you are the TS, you would retain rule enforcement, but just steer the discussion if needed without getting too involved yourself.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm happy to hear you've generally enjoyed the threads so far.

In regards to me moderating and participating, there were few issues in the first six threads and the only problems in the seventh involved the group who was my competition for POTWR and one guy who had to also be banned from a previous thread for his inability to play nice. Everyone else who has had a post deleted or received a reply-ban has either taken it in stride or approached me like a reasonable adult to discuss it. In fact, I even had a mod delete his own post without any fuss.

If having to follow the rules cuts down on traffic that's fine. I'm judging myself on delivering what the campaign promised, not posts per thread. My term is partly to give the board something it's never had before and partly for my own curiosity. If the board doesn't care then so be it. At the very least my curiosity will satisfied.

I think you are doing a wonderful job and things cant get better. Wait.

iu

No, seriously, who are you again? heh. The topics have been nicely varied and hopefully that will continue.

Would love to see one on the effects social media is having on children/teens today with having a rise in bodily harm and suicide in both boys and girls. I could PM some info to get you started if you actually want to do it.

Thanks, appreciate the response

Would love to see one on the effects social media is having on children/teens today with having a rise in bodily harm and suicide in both boys and girls. I could PM some info to get you started if you actually want to do it.

Thanks and please do.

@Cubo de Sangre, you have done a really good job being PotWR. Some people around here may not appreciate you as much as they should. As a character witness let me say that you are a man of your word, and I was very grateful for that care package.

@Cubo de Sangre, you have done a really good job being PotWR. Some people around here may not appreciate you as much as they should. As a character witness let me say that you are a man of your word, and I was very grateful for that care package.

Thanks, brother.

Let me know if there's a topic you'd like to see in one of the threads.

Doing great cubo.

Palis made me laugh more, and Homer brought that drama, but you are GOAT POTWR, until I win next year that is.

Sounds about right.

Best of luck. You've got the energy and bring entertaining topics. Better learn to stay off the dubs. :eek::D

Never. I'm running on a platform of promising to he banned for pushing the envelope.

Vermine Supreme doesn't recognize the rules.

Doing a great job El Presidente. I honestly haven't read all your threads, once i saw the rules I was like, ya not cool with fascism, I'm out!

Anyways, you're actually a good guy and you're not cuckyshot, Clippy, Gumbhi, Failty, Rat Poster, a dog fucker, Blowmanproblems or GivesHummers, so that's good.

What's also good is that with you taking power back from the disgusting wimps, we all win!! It's definitely helped spice things up more around here and made them loonier, so that's good. I look forward to voting for you again next election (should you do so) and if need be going to bat for you and Gutter Whore Chrissy.

Doing a great job El Presidente. I honestly haven't read all your threads, once i saw the rules I was like, ya not cool with fascism, I'm out!

Yeah, your style would clash with what I've been cookin'. Though I think Pablo would have done well. :D

Anyways, you're actually a good guy and you're not cuckyshot, Clippy, Gumbhi, Failty, Rat Poster, a dog fucker, Blowmanproblems or GivesHummers, so that's good.

What's also good is that with you taking power back from the disgusting wimps, we all win!! It's definitely helped spice things up more around here and made them loonier, so that's good. I look forward to voting for you again next election (should you do so) and if need be going to bat for you and Gutter Whore Chrissy.

Muchas gracias. I thought you were gonna run and try to become the first guy to serve two terms.

Yeah, your style would clash with what I've been cookin'. Though I think Pablo would have done well. :D

Muchas gracias. I thought you were gonna run and try to become the first guy to serve two terms.
Naw, i can only stomach so much Sherdog for a day.

<Oku04>

IDK Cuba, it looks like you sold out and went soft. There is a growing sense of outrage. The People feel betrayed. It might be time for a primary challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back