Post-concussion diet (avoid MSG)?

lschmidt

White Belt
Reaction score
I was treated yesterday in the ER for a concussion, and have staples in my head now. The doctor was telling me about how I am supposed to not eat foods containing MSG. He made it seem really, really important. Also told me to take a shit-ton of vitamins like vitamin C, E, D, Coq10, fish oil, and gave me a sheet detailing it all.

After googling the subject, I can't find a single source that says you have to be careful with your diet after you get a concussion. All the popular medical sites have articles on healing from a concussion but none of them mention diet.

Yes, I know the doctor's advice should trump the internet - but I'm going to assume some of you have had a concussion before. What did you eat afterwards, and did your doctor tell you the same thing about MSG?

The fuck? Sounds very odd.

Your doc didn't have a Mexican accent and a call-and-response catchphrase greeting by any chance, did he?

Ive had a couple of concussions but never been told to specifically avoid the MSG.

They do however tell you to stay hydrated which is quite important which generally means staying away from salt, alchohol (they always tell you to stay off the booze after a concussion) and caffeine. Since MSG is a sodium salt I guess it would make sense to stay away from it ? as part of staying hydrated ?

Mystery possibly solved ?

Doctors are human too and sometimes fall victim to urban legends and hysteria. My guess is that he or she read some MSG-demonizing web page (you can find a site demonizing almost every food and food additive) and bought into it.

A small percentage of the population is sensitive to MSG and might get headaches from it though.

Back