Possible punishment re: Cris Cyborg

@dimspace where u at mfer

Wont be more than a year. Previous failures wont come into play because they didnt happen under USADA.

Base point is a year, im not sure we will much of a reduction.

Retroactive TUE - no chance. her team claim they knew about this a few days ago so assumedly there has been dialogue, but USADA pressed forward with suspension anyway. I would be mega amazed if retroactive TUE was granted, especially, if we assume, that she didnt write it on her pre-test questionnaire.

If she did write it on her pre-test questionnaire (but usada havnt stated this was a violation because of a declaration) then she might get a reduction, maybe 6-9 months.

if she didnt write it on her pre-test questionnaire, then I would say the full year, with a possible 3 months off for co-operating.

Wont be more than a year. Previous failures wont come into play because they didnt happen under USADA.

Retroactive TUE - no chance. her team claim they knew about this a few days ago so assumedly there has been dialogue, but USADA pressed forward with suspension anyway. I would be mega amazed if retroactive TUE was granted, especially, if we assume, that she didnt write it on her pre-test questionnaire.

If she did write it on her pre-test questionnaire (but usada havnt stated this was a violation because of a declaration) then she might get a reduction, maybe 6-9 months.

if she didnt write it on her pre-test questionnaire, then I would say the full year, with a possible 3 months off for co-operating.

Quite a detailed answer.. thanks!

That was my understanding as well, but you're more the expert than I on the law of the land there.

why a year, is it a specified substance?, if not 2 years is the baseline

why a year, is it a specified substance?, if not 2 years is the baseline

Its S5 Diuretics/masking agents

So yeh, specified

its actually specifically listed in S5 as well

The following diuretics and masking agents are prohibited, as are other substances with a similar chemical structure or similar biological effect(s).

Including, but not limited to:

• Desmopressin; probenecid; plasma expanders, e.g. glycerol and intravenous administration of albumin, dextran, hydroxyethyl starch and mannitol.
  • Acetazolamide; amiloride; bumetanide; canrenone; chlortalidone; etacrynic acid; furosemide; indapamide; metolazone; spironolactone; thiazides, e.g. bendroflumethiazide, chlorothiazide and hydrochlorothiazide; triamterene and vaptans, e.g. tolvaptan.

What punishment will be levied on her? With Cyborg being a repeat offender, I think USADA could throw the book at her.

She should be officially designated FTM and forced to fight in Conor's division (since she seems to want to be there anyway)

Its S5 Diuretics/masking agents

So yeh, specified

its actually specifically listed in S5 as well

Usada should make two lists, one for a year suspension the other for the 2 years suspension

She should be officially designated FTM and forced to fight in Conor's division (since she seems to want to be there anyway)

Or export Cyborg to Japan and let her fight Gabi Garcia and Hong man Choi there.

But haven't others that did disclose get at least 1 year, or 18 months? It was a banned substance, can't see where disclosing it seems to help from past cases.

But haven't others that did disclose get at least 1 year, or 18 months? It was a banned substance, can't see where disclosing it seems to help from past cases.

mind this substance has a default 1 year penalty.

Machida declared and got a 25% reduction on his punishment (18 months from 24 months)

B Penn declared and got a 75% reduction (maximum reduction) on his punishment (6 months from 24 months)

Sullivan declared and got 50% reuction on his punishment (12 months from 24 months)

in the case of Cyborg its a specified substance so per the ADP (Anti doping policy) there is room foreduction based on degree of fault

"Where the Anti-Doping Policy Violation involves a Specified Substance, then the period
of Ineligibility shall be, at a minimum, a reprimand and no period of Ineligibility, and at a
maximum, the period of Ineligibility set forth in Article 10.2.2, depending on the Athlete’s
or other Person’s degree of Fault."

there is also the room for prompt admission when being confronted by anti doping officer, ie. putting on the form the substance, or admitting as soon as challenged by USADA

Prompt Admission of an Anti-Doping Policy Violation
Where an Athlete or other Person promptly admits the asserted Anti-Doping Policy Violation after
being confronted by USADA, that may be considered as a mitigating factor when the period of
Ineligibility established by these Anti-Doping Policies is set forth as a high/low range. It shall also
eliminate the possibility of sanction on account of Aggravating Circumstances.

So theres room for anything from a reprimand to a one year ban

Im actually working on something to that effect..

heres a sneak preview - the specified substances graphic/flowchart

1-specified.png

Non-specified

2-nonspecified.png

im still working on these so there may be errors so dont go posting them all over the place just in case. :D

Last edited:
for all we know, it could be a bj penn situation. like IV amino acid therapy or something. of course, alot of people wont reserve judgement till they have the actual facts

I'm doubting it, though. Seeing as she released a statement saying she's been prescribed some kind of diuretic treatment to heal from the weight cut she did back in September. The whole thing comes across as weak on her side of things.

Im actually working on something to that effect..

heres a sneak preview - the specified substances graphic/flowchart

View attachment 181839

Non-specified

View attachment 181841

im still working on these so there may be errors so dont go posting them all over the place just in case. :D

Man, you've got my respect as you know your stuff.. you're sure you don't work for USADA?

Cyborg will be out for two years due to former doping sentence, that's my prediction anyway.

Back