Possibility To Train With The U.S. Olympic Sanshou Coach

CONPHIDENT

White Belt
Reaction score
So i have a chance to train with Ian Lee in sanshou, him being a 7 taiwanese national champion im guessing it's a hell of an opportunity. What do yall think about it?

You know there's no sanshou in the Olympics, right?

well it wasn't a medal event but they held a tournament...at......the....olympics

I'm pretty sure they just had a tournament because it was in China.

As to your question in the op, go for it.

Thank you for your input, what are your thoughts of sanshou as a whole?

Sanshou is a great kicking style. The only famous fighter that i know that trains in it is Cung Le and his kicks are phenomenal.

As far Sanshou goes, 38-year old actor/part-time fighter Cung Le has been washed-up for years and has never been orthodox either due to his training or the rules he competed in. To make an asessment of the style based solely on him, jesus...

It's not just about crazy and much varied kicks or interesting footwork. You are going to "box" from crazy angles (which should be supplemented, as all striking arts, with actual boxing) and catch kicks in insane ways. You will learn a shitload of trips and takedowns that are meant to blend directly with your (and, more specifically, your opponent's) striking; not in a segmented way. If you have any doubts about the reality of that, just watch some videos. It's actually the one thing where the bad fighters usualy excell at. The wrestling arts of China, Shuaijiao, are not only as effective as any, but ridiculously varied. It's like mixing freestyle with judo -- the projective techniques in Okinawa come directly from there.

All in all, Sanshou has a lot to do with some forms of karate, and for good historical reasons - the arts of Te that went to Okinawa were strictly chinese, the Bubishi is a translation from the chinese etc. Of course Mao strictly forbade them and killed several martial arts, leaving the world with the state-sponsored ''wonders" of wushu and other absurds, but these full-contact styles were the resource at hand for the creation of the officialized mixed style of Sanshou/Sanda. If you have a background in some form of karate or another, it might help assess it. Look how Cung Le Machida'd in his last fight.

Btw, you will hear from some Chinese that it's a sport/ruleset and not a style per se, but I disagree. There's room for small variation in backgrounds, but it's very much linear.

That being said, I'm in China and I don't practice it. But I hold nothing against it whatsoever and it seems like a opportunity not to be missed.

Yeah i think I'm just gonna go ahead with it. The gym as a whole was very good, people there made me feel welcomed, no looks that a guy who would just start out at something would get. I appreciate everyone's input.

Yeah i think I'm just gonna go ahead with it. The gym as a whole was very good, people there made me feel welcomed, no looks that a guy who would just start out at something would get. I appreciate everyone's input.

Sanshou is a very good style and I personally believe a good transitional art if you are looking into getting into MMA.

It will teach you how to strike but to be aware of takedowns with striking, which is where the shock value comes in when you are a kickboxer/thai boxer etc when entering MMA as you are not used to getting taken down while trying to throw kicks etc, so Sanshou will prepare you for this. I competed in a Sanshou event, it was really fun (I'm a MT guy with no Sanshou training).

I'd say go for it. There really isn't a reason to not take a chance to train with an experienced fighter such as him.

lol olympic sanshou.

Well technically it was. Though, a trial sport, a buddy of mine competed...

I say go for it. San Shou is great art, though the striking is not as aggressive I guess because you have to worry about the take downs

Back