Popular misconceptions about martial arts?

Actually, yes it is. If there is no archeological proof or record of it, it didn't happen.

If someone was charged with murder, but there was no proof, it didn't happen?

No; there's a chance that it didn't happen, but there's a chance that it did.

If someone was charged with murder, but there was no proof, it didn't happen?

No; there's a chance that it didn't happen, but there's a chance that it did.

I'm not really sure what you're saying, but if there's no proof that something happened then how do you know it happened at all? I think this is pretty obvious.

If I told you that aliens used to rule the earth 500 years ago you'd think I'm crazy, right? Well, "there's a chance that it didn't happen, but there's a chance that it did". :icon_neut Sounds silly doesn't it?

misconception: there is no proof about pankration training methods

truth: there are thousands of paintings, statues, vases and other kinds of images of pankration matches, combine that with the writings of the classical writers at the time E.G Lucian, Heraclitas, some philosphers such as aristotle etc, we know quite a bit about what pankration was like.

oh yeah, and shotokan is now proved as an effective mma base.

pffff gtfo.

That MMA is mindless.
That one bothers me to no end.

I keep reading Wing Chung will make you a worse fighter, but I knew a wing chung guy that would do some fancy shit and then end up kicking you right in the groin, and man he landed that fucking nut shot like 10/10 times. He wasn't intentionally aiming for the nuts but that's what landed every time. In a confrontation, wing chung gave him pretty good instincts.

That martial artists like hurting people

misconception: there is no proof about pankration training methods

truth: there are thousands of paintings, statues, vases and other kinds of images of pankration matches, combine that with the writings of the classical writers at the time E.G Lucian, Heraclitas, some philosphers such as aristotle etc, we know quite a bit about what pankration was like.

"The historical records of the early Pankration are shrouded and mixed with Greek mythology. History is unclear as to whether or not these accounts of championship bouts and feats of strength of the champions were myth or actual accounts"

http://www.gmau.org/portal/pankration

That muscles will make you slow and weak while striking since it's all about speed and technique.

A lot of people will say that F=ma is the equation to measure how much power is generated for a certain strike.

F in that context, in a sense, only describes in the context of changing velocity. For example, say you have something very heavy flying at constant velocity, meaning, not changing speed. If it weighs 2 tons and is traveling at 100mph, but stays at 100mph, there is no acceleration, and then no force? Force in physics is different than force in common sense.

A more accurate approach would be calculating kinetic energy, which can also cover rotational motion as well, i.e. turning over a fist when punching.

Theoretically.

Also, this post probably doesn't even belong here.

EDIT: The idea is correct though. More speed and more mass will generate more power ("power" outside of the physics context), just the calculation is not right.
the calculation is actually correct. The force comes from the negative acceleration from 100mph (in your example) to 0 mph or whatever speed it is at after hitting its target. The quicker the acceleration (or decelleration) the more force was produced, also the lower the velocity after the collision also means more force was produced. Theres no such thing as "physics force" compared to "common sense force"

Back