Pope Francis allows priests to forgive abortion

JDragon

Lawn and Order!
@Gold
Reaction score
Pope Francis has allowed priests to forgive the sin of abortion for one year:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34118105

In Catholicism, abortion is viewed as such a grave sin that it warrants automatic excommunication.
Until now, permission for forgiveness had to be sought from a bishop, who would then delegate an expert priest.
However, the measure is a temporary one for the coming Jubilee Year, which begins in December.
The Pope said many women who sought an abortion did so because they "believe that they have no other option".
He added that he had "met so many women who bear in their heart the scar of this agonising and painful decision".
The easing of the rules is being seen as a shift in Catholic Church policy, reflecting the Pope's outspoken views on compassion and mercy.
"'I have decided, notwithstanding anything to the contrary, to allow all priests for the Jubilee Year to absolve of the sin of abortion those who procure it and who also seek forgiveness," Pope Francis said.
Pope Francis is aware that the decision will not be welcomed by traditionalists, says the BBC's David Willey.
However, in contrast to his predecessors, he regards compassion and mercy as virtues that outclass all others.

I don't get it. I thought they could just go to confession like normal anyways?

Sounds like a good thing if you ask me.

That's about as far as I will get involved in the matter of abortion.

what a fantastic Pope.

I'm sure the Christian Taliban will freak out by this, but I don't give 2 fu*ks what they think.

I don't agree with everything he says but he seems to be a very kind man.

I'm not catholic so it doesn't matter to me really.

what a fantastic Pope.

I'm sure the Christian Taliban will freak out by this, but I don't give 2 fu*ks what they think.

If they can forgive murder, why can't they forgive abortion? Or can they forgive murder? Seems to me they should since Saint Paul was a murderer of Christians before he became an evangelist.

Who does this pope think he is with all this forgiving stuff. That's not the catholic church I know.

This pope is extremely liberal and should probably stfu soon.

Empty actually.

It doesn't mean anything to the actual abortion issue, because all it does it forgive. It still fully supports criminilizing abortion and it only applies to people who are Catholic and seek forgiveness after the fact when they know it was against the rules they where sopposed to follow. So "Yey!!?1 such an asweom3Ness Pope!"

This doesn't conflict with the banning stance. So a big fat meh.

yBqFWNN.jpg

If they can forgive murder, why can't they forgive abortion? Or can they forgive murder? Seems to me they should since Saint Paul was a murderer of Christians before he became an evangelist.

Yea no shit...but logic doesn't work with the Christian Taliban. ..even when you employ their own tenets

Empty actually.

It doesn't mean anything to the actual abortion issue, because all it does it forgive. It still fully supports criminilizing abortion and it only applies to people who are Catholic and seek forgiveness after the fact when they know it was against the rules they where sopposed to follow. So "Yey!!?1 such an asweom3Ness Pope!"

This doesn't conflict with the banning stance. So a big fat meh.

Because the chuch deals with moral matters, cheating on your wife is perfectly legal that doesnt changes the fact that its morally wrong.

Because the chuch deals with moral matters, cheating on your wife is perfectly legal that doesnt changes the fact that its morally wrong.

Because the Church deals with trying to influence their version of morality into the law. Criminilizing abortion isn't a moral issue, it's a legal issue.

Every sin is equal in the eyes of the lord, so if you can be forgiven for touching yourself in the shower, obviously it follows that abortion is no different.

Every sin is equal in the eyes of the lord, so if you can be forgiven for touching yourself in the shower, obviously it follows that abortion is no different.

Do you even deadly sins bro?

God forgives all our sins. Including abortion. We just need to repent.

Read the damn link, or the part that JDragon quoted.

Abortion was always forgivable, its just that a bishop had to do it. A bishop is a high-level priest. Now, even a lower level priest can forgive abortion. And I'm not even joking though I wish I was.

People are saying how liberal and merciful this pope is, but that's just bullshit. The church is losing members and this measure is there to prevent young women/couples already abandoning a dying church.

Back