• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Poll: why has Woodley declined so fast/hard?

Intuitively it feels like a pretty normal decline for a fighter who loses the belt & is older (for a fighter)

credit to him for being the champ but he was always at the Robbie / Pig Rigg type level of champ. Good enough to make it (gotta stress - it’s a massive accomplishment) but never a generational fighter like GSP, Jones, Aldo, etc

Now he is past his Athletic prime, taking damage & has probably lost a lot of confidence

Reactions: Ruv
It's a combination of things. Age, other interests in life, level of opposition, style of opposition...

He's too hesitant and for a wrestler he's gotten terrible at TDD.

I think he mentally checked out a while ago, but he has a contract which pays well, so he's going to fight it out
He had one of the best take down defenses in the UFC at 92%. He hasn't been taken down until recently...

He used to be explosive. Now hes a flat footed counter puncher who cant pressure and gets put against the fence.

He hasn't declined that much. He hasn't fought terribly. He just hasn't got his offense going and that, I suspect is somewhat a mix between age and matchups.

He had one of the best take down defenses in the UFC at 92%. He hasn't been taken down until recently...

That's why I said he's gotten terrible at it. I have no idea what happened, but recently people have been taking him down without issue. Although some of it is due to facing some of the best grapplers in the division.

Combination of mentality after losing a title you've defended so long plus lingering injuries. Also age/reflexes fade. Reminds me of Rashad Evans.

That's why I said he's gotten terrible at it. I have no idea what happened, but recently people have been taking him down without issue. Although some of it is due to facing some of the best grapplers in the division.
The Usman and Colby fights he was getting out-struck by good wrestlers then Burns hurt him really bad before taking him down.

I don't have the skilllzz!! I will manually tabulate. So give us ur best response !
Then post it as "pole request" And hope someone helps you, ignorant fool.
We have a protocol here.

Woodley came into this fight with the strength of a 1000 racists. His heart was definitely in it. He just fought 3 guys who are not only better but are a horrible matchup. If he fought someone like petis, everyone would be saying twood is back!

I don't have the skills to make this a real poll, but please give your input.

Is it age? Was it his rap career? Did he stop caring ? Perhaps he just needs a sports psychologist? Maybe his favorite supplement was discontinued / manufacturer went bankrupt ? Just some brutal matchups (3 elite, large grapplers in a row)? The new generation finally caught up to him? Some other reason?

Please only list your top answer, if a mod doesn't add a poll I will manually tabulate the responses and update the OP.

Above all, be honest in your answer and don't self censor.

Thanks
I'm already exhausted discussing this IRL and here on sherdog, but I just wanted to give a like for the topic. Tyron's decline forces us to all play backseat psychologist, which is always an interesting shit-fest on sherdog.

Woodley came into this fight with the strength of a 1000 racists. His heart was definitely in it. He just fought 3 guys who are not only better but are a horrible matchup. If he fought someone like petis, everyone would be saying twood is back!
A part of me wants him to retire (or would support it at least), but another part of me agrees with you: I'd like to see him fight a fringe-top ten or a newcomer as one last chance given to a former great. If he's still a gun-shy dear-in-the-headlights when facing a random lower ranked oponent, then it's obviously over. But he at least deserves the shot, assuming he even wants it.
I'd also like to note that when I first heard some of his super cringe-inducing rap lyrics about himself, I forever became certain he was a headcase in constant need of (self) reassurance.

he's old and fought guys that are better
and in partiuclar, he fought guys that are better against the particular style that tyron has adopted in UFC

tyron should fight michael chiesa or robbie lawler rematch so we can see how much he has really declined

No Robbie rematch. Two guys who aren't offensive anymore?

Guy puts on snoozers

Knocking out Lawler is his career highlight, and finishing Till who was fast tracked to a title shot

Lost decisions to Shields and Rory, knocked the fuck out by Marquardt.

The rest of the time he's barely doing anything.

He has always been a hot and cold fighter, and fortunately for him after he won the title he could still retain it when he was cold.

Now he's older and looks even colder.

Guy puts on snoozers

Knocking out Lawler is his career highlight, and finishing Till who was fast tracked to a title shot

Lost decisions to Shields and Rory, knocked the fuck out by Marquardt.

The rest of the time he's barely doing anything.

He has always been a hot and cold fighter, and fortunately for him after he won the title he could still retain it when he was cold.

Now he's older and looks even colder.

And he also lost the second Wonderboy fight. Blatant robbery.

Untitled-4-1-1024x341.jpg

Maybe he never was that good and the opponent's he beat would be eaten alive by the current top welterweights

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back