Poll: When Is Tapping to Strikes Acceptable?

When is tapping to strikes acceptable?

• Total voters
GSP showed no heart? That was the first time he was in that situation and panicked. He learned from that and that never happened again. Put yourself in that situation bud. Getting your face pounded in front of millions. It happens to the best. Its what they do after that. Shogun has tapped repeatedly so dont act like that one fight shows his heart.
Shogun has tapped to strikes repeatdly?

Bro I seen a shitload of MMA fighters go thru what GSP went thru, being dropped, etc....99.9% didn't tap to strikes....Sure GSp might of panicked, I understand but sorry this was a non-tap situation.

ALSO LMFAO @ you implying GSP has more heart than Shogun <Dany07>....GSP is a great fighter but his heart/bravery is extremely questionable.

When is the fight "clearly" lost? Silva chocked out Sonnen in the last 30 seconds of the fight. MMA is so random anything could happen.

I'm not sure I agree. It's certainly unusual for a fight to be clearly lost but I don't think you can say there is always a non-negligible chance for the losing fighter to turn it around.
Silva was certainly eating a lot of strikes but they didn't seem to be doing much damage and he obviously thought he had it in him to pull off the finish. I'm not sure any third party is in a position to assess that, but I'll mention a couple of fights where I believe the loser could have legitimately before tapped the end--and I wish he would have:

Eric Silva vs. Matt Brown
Dan Hooker vs. Edson Barbosa
Gilbert Melendez vs. Jeremy Stephens

Why is it ok to tap with a severely damaged ligament but you can’t tap with a severely damaged brain?
When you have a severely damage brain you cant tap to strikes because you are on the verge of death, paralysis, or KO cold.
The referees are threre so you dont get a severely damage brain, they will stop it you are receiving a lot of shots. On the other hand, a broken arm or knee is more difficult for the judges to see.

You motherfuckers complaining about tapping to strikes have never gotten your asses beat, but probably should.

Only other fighters can criticize other fighters for tapping to strikes.

We’re just a bunch of dudes who have the luxury of watching other people put their brains and bodies on the line.

A bunch of 6''5 250lbs 2% body fat A level athletes with very strong hands and who trained UFC

Dont forget that

jesus didnt tap.png

Nuff´Said.

Last edited:
This nonsensical hatred of "tapping to strikes" needs to stop.

What is different from tapping to strikes and covering up and turtling until the ref stops it?
Because if the ref doesn't stop it your opponent may gas and you may win. See carwin vs lesnar

Shogun got the shit beat out of him for rounds by a known ROIDED Fighter, he still showed amazing heart, trying and trying until the end....Shogun also had kids/wife at the time....

shogun+taps.gif

Wasn't known at the time, unless Shogun had some inside info. We, the public, only know in retrospect that he was probably juiced.

If you see Mazzagatti or Yamasaki in the octagon, you better tap if you see you're losing the fight...

GSP tapping to strikes wasn't acceptable......Gave up ASAP didn't sustain a beaten, showed ZERO heart....Had no family/kids at the time.
qb8jOnl.gif

GSP+tapping+to+Strikes.gif

Shogun tapping to strikes was acceptable....The fight had already ended before he tapped first of all, so the tap didnt even count.....Shogun got the shit beat out of him for rounds by a known ROIDED Fighter, he still showed amazing heart, trying and trying until the end....Shogun also had kids/wife at the time....

shogun+taps.gif

Let's face it, if he had real heart he'd be posting on Sherdog instead of fighting in the UFC. Because it takes no courage to get into the cage and fight top level MMA fighters, but only the truly brave can man up to face Internet forums.

Seriously, Sherdog is a weird place. You're saying someone who actually gets into the cage lacks heart, another guy is calling fighters who get into the cage cowards. When of course the obvious choice for those lacking heart is to never get into the cage into the first place.

Though to be fair, its not just Sherdog. There are a lot of 100 pound overweight guys who never even made a high school sports team that will tell you with a straight face that Larry Bird was unathletic, presumably because they're sure in their heart of hearts that they were better athletes than he were. People have a tendency to extremely exaggerate their own attributes.

Last edited:
id rather a fighter tap out early and fight another day when they know they have lost then try to prove to the average idiot they are tough. fight iq is important

It’s never acceptable if it’s your only argument to discredit a GOAT candidate you don’t like.

You motherfuckers complaining about tapping to strikes have never gotten your asses beat, but probably should.

Only other fighters can criticize other fighters for tapping to strikes.

We’re just a bunch of dudes who have the luxury of watching other people put their brains and bodies on the line.
Without the fans and haters talking the sport will really die. Let people have their say

Let's face it, if he had real heart he'd be posting on Sherdog instead of fighting in the UFC. Because it takes no courage to get into the cage and fight top level MMA fighters, but only the truly brave can man up to face Internet forums.

Seriously, Sherdog is a weird place. You're saying someone who actually gets into the cage lacks heart, another guy is calling fighters who get into the cage cowards. When of course the obvious choice for those lacking heart is to never get into the cage into the first place.

Though to be fair, its not just Sherdog. There are a lot of 100 pound overweight guys who never even made a high school sports team that will tell you with a straight face that Larry Bird was unathletic, presumably because they're sure in their heart of hearts that they were better athletes than he were. People have a tendency to extremely exaggerate their own attributes.
Seriously bro?...In your world, nobody can say an NFL/NBA/Soccer/etc player sucks because they are obviously better than people criticizing them and they have the balls to play infront of people....That's your logic, nobody should ever critique anything then lol....Sports would be dead if people couldn't criticize/give their own input.

Of course GSP is tough and has some heart.....The point I was making, he has less heart/toughness compared to alot of fighters....I wasn't comparing him to normal people.

Wasn't known at the time, unless Shogun had some inside info. We, the public, only know in retrospect that he was probably juiced.
Probably?{<huh}

He was juiced to the gills for his whole career lol.....it was easy as fuck to pass test then lol.

Sure we didn't know at the time but knowing this now, it just shows shogun's toughness even more.

Back