POLL: What (if any) video game franchises would you have liked to see turned into film that has not?

What (if any) video game franchises would you have liked to see turned into film that has not?

• Contra

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Zelda

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • House of the Dead

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Diablo

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Grand Theft Auto

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • Call of Duty

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Final Fantasy

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest

• Castlevania

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Mega Man

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Bionic Commando

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Halo

• Tekken

• Metal Gear

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Golden Axe

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Streets of Rage

• Kung Fu

• Battletoads

• Star Fox

• Other

Votes: 20 33.9%

• Total voters
As long as it's not done in a Hollywood over the top bullshit style but a more gritty realistic style I'd say the Last of us and Red dead redemption. Splinter cell would be a cool concept too.

220px-CustersRevenge.jpg

0000.png

I’m going to say none since video games historically make piss poor movies. The only two that were half decent in my opinion were Mortal Kombat 1 and Silent Hill 1. Ironically the sequels to both movies were fucking dog shit and among the worst sequels of all time since Highlander 2.

I’m going to say none since video games historically make piss poor movies. The only two that were half decent in my opinion were Mortal Kombat 1 and Silent Hill 1. Ironically the sequels to both movies were fucking dog shit and among the worst sequels of all time since Highlander 2.

i dunno. i hated the sh movie (mostly just didn't understand why they... made it that way [plot])... and i know mk was actually pretty popular, but i hated it.

mk:annihilation is easily one of the absolute worst movies i've ever seen. and it's just soooooooooooooooooooo bad that i almost like it. but i also have 2 funny anecdotes about it, i guess.

1. i was at a party of sorts (basically, a paintball team and their gfs and some others after a practice). i put in the dvd of mk: annihilation just to have something on in the background. no one paid much attention. after a while, i kept seeing this same scene with cyrax and jax. i then started laughing at it and some of us started paying minimal attention. cyrax and jax were fighting on and off for like 30 minutes. we found it absurd and guessed it was some time travel bullshit. but it made a godawful movie just hilariously bad... then we realized that someone sat on the remote and it was the same scene repeating.

the movie was so bad we didn't notice that for wayyy to long and just thought they were recylcing footage

2. i hooked up with some dumb hippy from okcupid. it snowed. it was supposed to be flurries, we got a surprise 26" and i got stuck at this super annoying hippy's place for a weekend. she had like no food or furniture or whatever. she had one dvd/bluray/etc (robin hood, men in tights). the city basically shut down (transit did shut down). i trekked through 2 feet of snow to walk to an asian market that happened to be open just to get food because i was literally starving... later, i finally saw a bus. it was stuck, but it was a bus. plows finally came... so i tried to make my escape from this now super clingy freak, but didn't see a bus. she offered to give me a ride back and i begrudgingly agreed (generally kept all initial dates/hookups at girls' places after stalker issues), figuring that she had to be sick of me, too. she wasn't.

after we got to my place, she had to use the bathroom. then, of course, she was suddenly tired and wanted to stay over.

i made sure she wanted to leave.

i put on mk: annihilation and pretended to be super into it. i told her it was my favorite movie. she kept trying to get it on (like wtf, all we did was hump at her place). i kept yelling MORTAL KOMBATTT! she started blowing me. i'm yelling 'BRINGOUTTHADOGS!' and etc. she just kept trying harder and harder. i finally got it up and we start fucking doggystyle. i turn up the volume. a lot. every time the music played, i yelled MORTAL KOMBAT! then i just kept yelling "GET OVER HERE!," "toastyyyyyy,!" etc. every time i got ridiculous, it made me softer and progressively softer. this went on for like 30 minutes.

finally, she took the subtle hint and left.

the fact that i just typed this up shows how mk:annihilation is superior in its utter badness. and shit, i thought it was low budget. it's not. i don't know where the budget went, but i hope it was embezzled.

(and i don't have any fond anecdotes for how bad house of the dead is.)

Last edited:
Deus Ex. On the cusp of human augmentation, this would be a decent time to do it.

Fallout could work, but without the quirky/satirical humor and retrofuturism it would just be another gloomy post-apocalyptic movie/series. It would need the right tone.

It's funny how after all these years, when you type in "Best video game movie" Mortal Kombat 1 still comes up first. It really was much better than it had any right to be.

Would love a zelda or starfox but they would likely get the sonic movie treatment.

Tenchu. Too easy to fuck up though unfortunately. It would be like 47 ronin all over again.

i dunno. i hated the sh movie (mostly just didn't understand why they... made it that way [plot])... and i know mk was actually pretty popular, but i hated it.

mk:annihilation is easily one of the absolute worst movies i've ever seen. and it's just soooooooooooooooooooo bad that i almost like it. but i also have 2 funny anecdotes about it, i guess.

1. i was at a party of sorts (basically, a paintball team and their gfs and some others after a practice). i put in the dvd of mk: annihilation just to have something on in the background. no one paid much attention. after a while, i kept seeing this same scene with cyrax and jax. i then started laughing at it and some of us started paying minimal attention. cyrax and jax were fighting on and off for like 30 minutes. we found it absurd and guessed it was some time travel bullshit. but it made a godawful movie just hilariously bad... then we realized that someone sat on the remote and it was the same scene repeating.

the movie was so bad we didn't notice that for wayyy to long and just thought they were recylcing footage

2. i hooked up with some dumb hippy from okcupid. it snowed. it was supposed to be flurries, we got a surprise 26" and i got stuck at this super annoying hippy's place for a weekend. she had like no food or furniture or whatever. she had one dvd/bluray/etc (robin hood, men in tights). the city basically shut down (transit did shut down). i trekked through 2 feet of snow to walk to an asian market that happened to be open just to get food because i was literally starving... later, i finally saw a bus. it was stuck, but it was a bus. plows finally came... so i tried to make my escape from this now super clingy freak, but didn't see a bus. she offered to give me a ride back and i begrudgingly agreed (generally kept all initial dates/hookups at girls' places after stalker issues), figuring that she had to be sick of me, too. she wasn't.

after we got to my place, she had to use the bathroom. then, of course, she was suddenly tired and wanted to stay over.

i put on mk: annihilation and pretended to be super into it. i told her it was my favorite movie. she kept trying to get it on (like wtf, all we did was hump at her place). i kept yelling MORTAL KOMBATTT! she started blowing me. i'm yelling 'BRINGOUTTHADOGS!' and etc. she just kept trying harder and harder. i finally got it up and we start fucking doggystyle. i turn up the volume. a lot. every time the music played, i yelled MORTAL KOMBAT! then i just kept yelling "GET OVER HERE!," "toastyyyyyy,!" etc. every time i got ridiculous, it made me softer and progressively softer. this went on for like 30 minutes.

the fact that i just typed this up shows how mk:annihilation is superior in its utter badness. and shit, i thought it was low budget. it's not. i don't know where the budget went, but i hope it was embezzled.

Half an hour of bad sex to MK Annihilation...

<mma4>

A Saints Row movie franchise would be great if done properly imo. Think Fast & Furious but even more bonkers.

I'd love a Dark Souls or Bloodborne series, the lore in both is crazy rich, plenty of high dark fantasy stories they could tell

Fallout would also make a great series, but isn't a proper one in the works?

Bloodborne would probably make the best film, lovecraft transitions well to the big screen

Also, 2nd on Mass Effect, would make an epic film trilogy

Cool story.. bro

I actually don't mean that in a sarcastic way, I legitimately enjoyed reading that.

Halo and Mass Effect would have seemed to have had the most potential, but it would just be so trite at this point there's not really any point in doing it. The "AI gone rogue" motif has been hacked to death; so it makes sense that "hackneyed" serves to describe it more suitably than any other term at this point.

Aliens
went this route. Star Trek, too, with Discovery's meta-arc. The HBO Westworld series is all about an AI rebellion. There's The 100. The remake of Battlestar Galactica exceeded the original. There was also the recent remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still. I think there's been several iterations of Asimov's I, Robot since the turn of the century in various forms. There were the excellent movies with a nearly identical narrative that came out at the same time: The Machine and Ex Machina. This was an integral subplot in the MCU's mainline narrative with Ultron. We just got the phenomenal sequel to Blade Runner. Of course in the 80's the Terminator series really got this going, but they haven't stopped churning out movies that are beating the potential of this fictional conceit like a dead horse. The Matrix followed it with a soaring start that mirrored its trajectory with a precipitous decline.

I feel like there's a bunch more I'm forgetting.

Back