• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

POLL: What are your top 5 fantasy film franchises?

What are your top 5 fantasy film franchises?

• Lord of the Rings

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • The Hobbit

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Harry Potter

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • The Dark Crystal

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Clash of the Titans/Wrath of the Titans

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Conan the Barbarian

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Fantastic Beasts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Neverending Story

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Twilight

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Wizard of Oz

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Nanny McPhee

• Peter Pan

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Mary Poppins

• Jumanji

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • The Chronicles of Narnia

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Maleficent

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Highlander

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • Other

Votes: 17 21.0%

• Total voters
Star Wars is science fiction, shouldn't even be in this vote/category.

LoTR
Harry Potter
Fantastic Beasts
Pirates Of The Caribbean
The Hobbit
Yeah, because shooting lighting out of your hands due to a supernatural force is "science" and not fantasy.

1 element of the franchise doesn't turn the other 99% of it from science fiction to fantasy.
"The Force" is a pretty big element of the franchise. It's one part sci-fi and one part fantasy (not the 1% and 99% you're claiming). Also, we get to see how it measures up against Lord of the Rings.

Last edited:
Voted for

Neverending Story
Lord of the Rings
Other

For Other, obviously The Princess Bride, by far, although I don't know if that qualifies as Fantasy.

Honourable mentions to:

Highlander
Conan
The Dark Crystal
Harry Potter

If we are counting television:

Game of Thrones

"The Force" is a pretty big element of the franchise. It's one part sci-fi and one part fantasy. Also, we get to see how it measures up against Lord of the Rings.
Star Wars is definitely Fantasy, IMO.
It's a space opera with magic Knights Templar.

LOTR - of course
Highlander - particularly the first movie and the series
Harry Potter - great story
Wizard of Oz - first was a classic and Return to Oz is even better and creepy

Whoever has watched the Netflix Dark Crystal, ck it out. Bizarre, so very well done. Give a few episodes and u will be hooked.

You don't seem all that bright when it literally says right at the end of that link:

Therfore, Star Wars is sceince fiction rather than fantasy.

But thanks for proving my point for me.
That part is definitely wrong. lol

You don't seem all that bright when it literally says right at the end of that link:

Therfore, Star Wars is sceince fiction rather than fantasy.

But thanks for proving my point for me.

You can nickle and dime all day over this shit. Science fiction nerds would call SW pure fantasy, as there is little to no science involved. The only thing that separates it, is that it takes place in space. Other than that, it's a fairly traditional high fantasy flick.

Not saying you're wrong or anything, but I always did find the "science fiction" definition to be rather arbitrary and interchangeable. To me, "Science Fiction" refers to "Star Trek" and "2001". Stuff like "Star Wars" fits more into the high fantasy genre, as it is more focused on the "fiction" to create the fantasy, rather than the "science" to create said "fiction", if that makes any sense.

Back