Politics and Diplomacy in Personal Life

THEfightsAREfixed

we can do it
@Silver
Reaction score
I am finding it blindingly obvious how important managing professional politics at the workplace and being as diplomatic as possible in relationships with family and friends as I age into my 30s now. I still have a lot of experiences and growth left on the table but this lesson seems like a big one, especially for myself.

Do you put an effort into being diplomatic with those close to you ?

Is your strategy for success in business and your career involve managing politics in your company or with clients, associates etc ?

Happy New Year Sherbros, sending love to those that may receive it, God Bless.

If you work for a municipality it’s practically a must. For my family, not so much.

Nope, I am currently probably working for the wokest organisation anywhere on the planet. I just keep my head down, don't discuss politics and do my job.

Best plan is just to stay the fuck out of any such discussions in the workplace. In my personal life with family and friends... all that shit is fair game.

I am finding it blindingly obvious how important managing professional politics at the workplace and being as diplomatic as possible in relationships with family and friends as I age into my 30s now. I still have a lot of experiences and growth left on the table but this lesson seems like a big one, especially for myself.

Do you put an effort into being diplomatic with those close to you ?

Is your strategy for success in business and your career involve managing politics in your company or with clients, associates etc ?

Happy New Year Sherbros, sending love to those that may receive it, God Bless.
Yes, to both.

I try to get the least annoying version out of everyone I interact with.

Nope, I am currently probably working for the wokest organisation anywhere on the planet. I just keep my head down, don't discuss politics and do my job.

Best plan is just to stay the fuck out of any such discussions in the workplace. In my personal life with family and friends... all that shit is fair game.
Wokest company on earth?!
I can't even imagine. Tech?

Wokest company on earth?!
I can't even imagine. Tech?
I never said company... I'm obviously not going to dox myself but I live in Canberra. I assume you can imagine some of the kinds of organisations that exist over here.

The big advantage of being self employed I'v found is being able to avoid association with real assholes(previous job was full of them) which makes things so much easier, the kind of demands your dealing with are reasonable enough to accomcate/juggle almost all the time without much conflict.

I don't discuss politics with anyone. It's pointless. 99% of people I know are Lefties, I lean left on some topics and more conservative on others - it's just asking for an argument. They know where I stand and they rarely try to engage me on those topics as they know it's asking for an argument, too. I also find that it's only lefties who will openly start discussing politics even with people they barely know or don't know at all. I've never had a random start bringing up conservative issues in a smoking area, not once in my entire life.

I don't discuss politics with anyone. It's pointless. 99% of people I know are Lefties, I lean left on some topics and more conservative on others - it's just asking for an argument. They know where I stand and they rarely try to engage me on those topics as they know it's asking for an argument, too. I also find that it's only lefties who will openly start discussing politics even with people they barely know or don't know at all. I've never had a random start bringing up conservative issues in a smoking area, not once in my entire life.
It's very similar to vegans. How do you know someone is a leftist? Don't worry, the overt virtue signalling will inevitably start within a couple of minutes of meeting them.

I'm conservative, but will never bang you over the head with it. I can have a beer with many liberal people, and it would be no problem. We're all just trying to make our way through life. At work, it was never an issue until covid reared its ugly head

It's something I have been working on. trying to not let politics and shit effect my relationships irl

my mom was a very opinionated liberal and growing up I lost friendships with people over Bush and gore stuff

my dad was a part of the movement (the Latino civil rights movement) and a social worker
he raised me to believe in the raza, Aztlan, and connecting with our native roots.

so I am a bit of extremeist but I basically keep my opinions to myself and just try and treat people like I want to be treated

my older brother was a right wing blue collar good old boy former marine(but Latino) and on of my regrets is that I used that as an excuse to never build a real relationship with him

then he passed away very suddenly

it was a hard lesson but I was being too close minded and I missed out on my brother

lol. Its the exact opposite where I live. Conservatives are constantly bringing up some culture war bs talking about woke this, woke that, and agendas. I literally had some idiot trying to talk to me about Trump while we were in line at the grocery store. I turned around and gave him the look, lol and he shut up.

I should be more politically correct but when my black colleague started
talking about reparations for slavery I told him I was going to sue the Italian government
because my ancestors fought in the colloseum.

I find it hillarious that people don't know what professional politics means.

I am never a squeaky wheel at work unless it is about my pay and what I am worth. I am a chameleon with politics at work. We just did this online Pronoun training. Some people made noise as it really is an absurd thing. Not me. I didn't say a word, even though I WILL NEVER use They/Them. I will just use the persons name. At home, that is different. My family are common sense people. We don't buy into liberal woke garbage so we all get along. We aren't Trumpers either and I am lucky my family all have the same core values.

Back