Pole Bag Filling

Torrid

Cunning Linguist
@Gold
Reaction score
Alright, instead of making a new thread, I'm just editing my old one here.

So I've been told by several people now that you fill a pole bag with cloth, super! Except that's going to cost me more than the bag itself, but I was also informed that there are places known as "rag houses" that sell used cloth by the pound for cheap.

Well, I live in Dallas, Texas and can't seem to find a place like this - so if anyone can actually direct me as to the location of one (can be near Dallas, or like a hour drive at most) I'd be awfully appreciative!

Thanks.

TR

rags,clothes cut up into small pieces, accumulate around a 100 to 200 pounds of torn up cloth or depending on how firm u want it u could throw some sand into the mix, by putting sand into a trash bag depending how much weight u want, then putting that trash bag into 2 to 3 other trash bags just for integrity so it doesn't rip, some suggest wrapping the bag in a carpet and rolling it into a ball and placing it at the bottom of the bag and then topping it off with the cloth u have previously cut up

Hm, I heard clothes on other sites - but this brings up the interesting point: where the hell do I get 200lbs of cloth?

Note: I am slightly above robbing good will boxes (slightly, but still enough not to do it).

And sand would be a good filler, just don't want too much - too many horror stories of gyms in Africa that have students regularly breaking their hands on inferior bags filled with sand.

Hm, I heard clothes on other sites - but this brings up the interesting point: where the hell do I get 200lbs of cloth?

Note: I am slightly above robbing good will boxes (slightly, but still enough not to do it).

And sand would be a good filler, just don't want too much - too many horror stories of gyms in Africa that have students regularly breaking their hands on inferior bags filled with sand.

Many cities have "rag houses" where there's just PILES of old clothes, you can buy it by the pound and wash 'em.

If you end up getting the Fairtex pole bag, please post a review or impressions if you can. I've been eyeing this one for a while now.

It takes a ton of clothing to fill it up. Estimated six foot diameter by four foot height mound. I have no idea how long it took to pack, I only used it and saw it taken down.

The padding settles like in all bags. However, unlike regular bags, there is a steel pole inside, making settling a big issue.

In addition, issues you'd have when striking a large heavy bag come into play, such as your foot always striking the bag.

For conditioning it is hard to beat, as it's not going anywhere regardless of how many strikes it eats. An alternative would just be to tie your thai 6' bag to the floor.

I have had one for over 6 months waiting to be installed. I think I'll get around to it soon.

Most of the thai bags are filled with shredded cloth material, but you should line the bag with some foam (like carpet padding or something a little more firm than that) so that the bag doesn't get lumpy.

I would also like to hear a review on the Fairtex pole bag

I will expand on what I previously said. I used a Fairtex pole bag for roughly a year.

Pro:
-It's not going anywhere. If you want to throw 20 double kicks in a row, you can. You could always use ties on a normal bag for the same effect.

Con:
-It's got a pole inside. All bags get lumpy and need to have filling adjustments from time to time. They all develop "hard spots" without careful use. In the case of this bag, it can be incredibly dangerous to strike areas that lack sufficient fabric stuffing.
-It's not going anywhere. It's pretty hard to circle or work angles on a bag that is probably only being used for the corner of a frame for heavy bags. This is not an issue if you're using this bag on a pole that is not attached to anything and you can freely move about.
-It's freaking huge. You're not clinching it.
-It comes unfilled. $250 and you still have to spend an afternoon stuffing it. You could always hire some midgets to get inside and have it perfectly stuffed.
-It's freaking huge. Your foot is hitting the ass end every time. Even more so than hitting other large bags, like a 4' 130-50lb'er.

Definitely wouldn't be my first choice. The only reason I'd buy one is if I couldn't fix a hanging bag, but it would oddly be perfectly fine for me to have the equivalent of six wavemasters on my floor.

Thanks for the review, Art. Would you say it'd be any better or worse if it was hung instead of pole mounted?

I've got a big heavy bag right now, around 6ft, 180 lbs, thicker than a banana bag. The Fairtex pole bag to me seemed like an upgrade to my current bag, but I'm wondering now if it's worth it?

The Fairtex probably weighs 250-300 when filled with rags. It is significantly larger than 150lb 4' bags I use, which are 18" in diameter. You can have 3-4 guys punching or 2 kicking simultaneously, so if you want that, it's hard to beat at all.

It's not a bad bag. I just don't see how it would be in any way better than a quality leather 4' or 6' bag, which could easily be restrained from moving if you wanted to make your heart explode with some insane amount of endless strikes.

I don't think it's an upgrade over your current bag.

Thanks, I think I'll stick with my current bag then, until it wears down and needs replacing.

not yet, been busy with the school and haven't had time as of late. In VA I went to a mattress factory and they gave me the stuffing for free. I need to find a place around here.

I tried fluffo, but when I called them they acted really weird. Might wanna drop by the actual factory and they could be a little more helpful.

I've been meaning to drive to the factory myself, but haven't had the time. If I find out anything I will let you know.

Back