Poirier vs Colby

I think Colby would look like Colby again. I think we get the Masvidal fight all over again (the one in the octagon).

Please no. This is just another excuse for Colby to avoid fighting a Top 10 WW.

Leon wasn't overly impressive, but the he's really difficult to beat. His game is like a more balanced Izzy: less extreme kickboxing skill, but much better grappling. That said, his grappling may not be quite as good as he seems to think it is--but there's still time to improve marginally.

As bad as Colby looked, and with all respect to DP, I think trying to takedown Leon Edwards is a whole different ball game.

I still favor Colby in that match-up, but I'm not as confident as I was before. Definitely a reasonable match; but although DP is a little more aggressive than Leon, if it goes Colby's way, the fight could still suck.

I'd have Colby around -225.

Hello forum

A long time lurker on this forum as I’ve started to get into UFC in the last 5 years or so.

My first thread…

Given Colby’s stock is shot at the moment and Dustin has been vocal in saying he can’t find a willing contender, could this be the next matchup for both fighters?

If so, how do you see it play out?

I thought Colby would have given Leon plenty of problems but clearly that wasn’t the case. I don’t think Leon was particularly brilliant, but I do think Colby was dreadful.

Reckon Poirier could pull this off at 170?

Styles make fights. I despise Colby but he runs through Poirier at 170

That’s a fight I’d favour Colby to win. Size matters especially in wrestling. Of course I’ll watch any fight the UFC makes but I’m not interested in this one. But I’d love to see Dustin beat Colby. That would be game over for Colby’s career.

Colby is done because he's out of money to pay for bedroom cardio. Even Trump is tired of this guy.

Dustin already said he won’t work hard and devote a portion of his career to financially reward a piece of trash like Colby with a higher end PPV. So no, that fight won’t happen.

Good move by Dustin IMO. Colby should fight any lower ranked WW and be exposed further for the least financial gain. Now that the “he is eternally top 5 though!” illusion is beyond dead after the 3rd fucking title shot maybe we can move on to reality to see where he’s actually ranked.

Willing to bet Dana now agrees with that as well (finally) after that shitshow of a performance

Poirier probably feels much more confident in taking this fight after watching the Leon fight.
But that being said, I don't want Colby to have any high relevance fight. And even though Poirier is not on his high, he's still has a name and thei have beef, so the UFC would gave importance to this fight.

Colby should just be ignored by all the top 10 fighters so he won't get any easy path to a main spot fight again.
He had more than enough chances, time to move on.

Does nothing for me. two never-champs who only beat washed ex-title contenders/holders once they were already on the decline. Lost to any decent fighter in their prime they ever faced. This would at least make Colby match Dustin in their best career win (if he beat Dustin) being a guy from a lower weight class (Holloway).

If Dustin only wants "fun fights" then it makes sense for him, but I think Colby needs a win first before making this match up, his stock really dropped in the Leon fight and he's been so inactive.

Colby is ranked #5 (which is completely absurd) and should fight a top 10 ranked welterweight.

He's been gifted too much already and his claim to fame is getting beat up in all 3 of his title shots. Time to fight some actual contenders/peers in the division.

Poirier should be doing fun legacy fights at 155 with other name guys who are not in the title picture.

It’s about the only fight I’d like to see him in tbh. Colby that is

I personally have no interest in this matchup. There are better fights for both guys in their own divisions.

I personally would never pay money to see Covington fight again. No power, no submission prowess. Always decisions.

At least we can depend on Dustin to finish, or be finished.

Of the two, Poirier at least comes to DO or DIE.
Covington only comes to "outpoint or survive" ...

I've never gotten the idea Poirier wanted to fight Colby. If they did fight, Colby's biggest strengths are stylistically probably Poirier's biggest weaknesses. It would make sense to book it now, however, more than ever given Colby's recent dud and Poirier coming off a loss.

Back