Please: Street Fighting or Self Defense forum addition!

triso

Green Belt
Reaction score
Can we please get a Street Fighting, or Self Defense forum going so that we don't have to be subjected to the retard fan boys talking about Street Fighters and how they are so badass in every fucken thread. Or the wonderful comments such as "Yes, but that wouldn't work in the street", which immediately takes over a thread.

We already have a forum for that. It's called the wasteland.

I agree that those posts should go to the wasteland, but they don't. I always see this stupid shit in the MMA forum and others.

Sorry, we can't catch everything. But I always move that stuff when I see it.

It's cool, I understand that, it's just these clowns manage to start shit in every thread. There could be a thread in the grappling forum about a move, and I would bet money, that somewhere in that thread someone will post some stupid shit like, "yes, but this move won't work in the street", which will of course start people off.

This is a mixed martial arts forum, I dont see why discussions on real life application should be frowned upon. It really is a recurring subject , not everybody who wants to discuss it is a thug-wannabe or a 15 year old kid bluffing through his teeth about it just to get attention.
How hard is it to create a new forum anyway

I would also like to see a street-fight/self-defense forum.

I'm still out on injury from MMA and since I can't train, I've been researching a lot of how sport MMA applies and doesn't apply regarding self-defense applications, so this is of personal interest. (example: palm strikes vs. punching to ensure you don't break your hand, don't bother using a triangle unless you want your scrotum being bit and have to go to the emergency room for stitches(true story from a friend of my former trainer), skip the double leg unless you want to break your kneecap like the one gracie did, etc). It really is a seperate category imo and of pertinent interest to some people.

If its a resource issue, I'd volunteer to help moderate the new forum to ensure it is a respectable forum and not "Bob sapp vs Jet Li in the street, who wins?" type of stuff.

There are better sites than Sherdog if you're interested in Self-defense. These sites main focus is RBSD and survival on the street.

Sonny said:
There are better sites than Sherdog if you're interested in Self-defense. These sites main focus is RBSD and survival on the street.
Which webpages are you referring to?

I think this is a good idea, a lot of people want to discuss street fighting in relation to MMA but don't have a legitimate forum to do it on and end up hijacking peoples threads. I'd read it.

Sonny said:

I'd also be interested if you could post a listing of these sites.

Based on your comments though, I searched around and found one site which has a big chunk of self-defense, but its exactly what I feared....lots of TMA'ers going on about street fighting (e.g. "i use my palm to better transfer my chi and do damage to their internal organs" type stuff...I'm not making that up either).

Thats why its better to have it here on Sherdog b/c MMA exposed the TMA mcdojo stuff so we don't have to rehash all the chi stuff. I guess since MMA came along, the TMA'ers now justify themselves by saying MMA is just sport, they are focused on "the real fighting in the street", and so they flock to those kinds of sites.

MMA moves have proven themselves in sportfighting as being economical and usable, so the street fighting aspect in many ways imo is really now a subset of MMA - what can you safely do w/o hand wraps, padded mats, allowing that they may bite as you try a sub, etc.

For example, I'm a very good boxer/puncher, but I have serious concerns that I stand a great chance of breaking my hand if I hit their head w/o gloves in the street b/c the top of the head is very, very hard....so in many ways, w/o some modifications, a lot of my skills are not relevant for streetfighting (look at how many boxers break their hands fighting in the street - Tyson among others, and he's done it 2x I believe).

Thats why since I've been out on injury, I started looking at open hand techniques for head strikes, which is what caused me to get re-interested in street fighting as a subset of MMA. And since I'm arguing that the best streetfighting techniques are likely to be a subset of MMA, thats why I think it is valid to have the forum here on Sherdog.

I really think there should be a street fighting or self defense forum opened here as well. I haven't found any that are good on the internet and it would filter out alot of threads getting mixed in with the MMA and other forums. Any admins have input on these suggestions?

Vovchanchyn Fan said:
skip the double leg unless you want to break your kneecap like the one gracie did, etc).

Gracie's know how to a double leg?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back