Please do something about the copyrighted MMA video files and links in the forums

Daniel J. Darby

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It seems every day someone posts a link to a copyrighted MMA video here at Sherdog, and this has got to stop if MMA is going to make any progress. The MMA industry is losing millions of dollars because people keep pirating MMA videos and taking money away from the fighters. Many fighters end up having to take up another job just to make ends meet because they simply can't support themselves and their families on an MMA salary. This is really holding back the sport, and it affects the fans as well because we end up having to pay more money for videos and merchandise.

I realize that file sharing is much bigger than this site, but Sherdog needs to do its part to combat piracy in the forums. The rules should be more strictly enforced. If it means adding more moderators as watchdog groups, then please make it so. I also see many forum users soliciting certain copyrighted fights by asking others to send them a particular fight or link by private message; this shouldn't be permitted. MMA is still a relatively young sport, and piracy affects this sport much more drastically than mainstream sports. We can't tolerate people stealing money from fighters and retarding the growth of the sport. If we don't do our part to curb this, then we could very well see the end of MMA in the next few years.

Yeah your right, Mother Theresa, MMA is going to come to a crashing halt "if we don't do our part to curb this". When we see the end of MMA "in the next few years", we can blame the members of the Sherdog internet message board.

You make it sound like this internet message board is a haven for illegal pirates and copywriters. You are sadly mistaken. There are rules in place to prevent such activity. There are probably some of your examples that "fall through the cracks" but on balance, this message board is far from "breaking the law".

bunzo said:
There are probably some of your examples that "fall through the cracks" but on balance, this message board is far from "breaking the law".
Well, the problem is that the cracks are as big as the Grand Canyon. If you haven't noticed the number of video links being posted from google video and youtube, then you're either blind or you just haven't been here much lately. I understand that there are rules put in place to prevent this sort of thing. I'm simply stating that there needs to be more enforcers at this site. By the time a moderator notices the illegal link, the video has probably been viewed or downloaded thousands of times. As soon as that link is discovered, a few more pop up and go unnoticed by the moderators. It's obvious that we need more active moderators on this site.

I think it's sad when great fighters like Sean Sherk and Jason Black have to put their careers on hold and consider retirement because the sport doesn't pay that much. We need to do our part to support these fighters, and the sport, by buying the videos instead of just downloading them. Video piracy is becoming an epidemic, and if you don't think that poses a grievous threat to the sport, then you're sadly mistaken. MMA needs all the help it can get right now; all the illegal file sharing will only set us back. Support the sport!

Than shouldn't you be complaining about Google video and Youtube, instead of crying about Sherdog? Sherdog doesn't host any of those files.

And if you really cared about MMA, shouldn't you be complaining about the Pride trolls who are ruining the main board and being anti-UFC just for the fun of it instead of supporting a sport in the US that we all love?

Daniel J. Darby said:
It seems every day someone posts a link to a copyrighted MMA video here at Sherdog, and this has got to stop if MMA is going to make any progress.

Whether SD prevents these files on the board is irrelevant. This is only one of many online forums linking these videos. This is why you need to go after the source. And hosting old videos of fights most people have seen is not going to slow any progress.

The MMA industry is losing millions of dollars because people keep pirating MMA videos and taking money away from the fighters. Many fighters end up having to take up another job just to make ends meet because they simply can't support themselves and their families on an MMA salary. This is really holding back the sport, and it affects the fans as well because we end up having to pay more money for videos and merchandise.

False. Truth is fighters will always be paid. They don't lose a dime, and neither do actors or musicians. The only ones who lose money are the companies behind the scenes and even then it doesnt hurt them, it only kills a % of their profits, those profits that fill their selfish pockets. Plus, how do you know those who downloaded these videos were EVER going to buy these videos anyways? If they had Zero intention to purchase these videos than you can't say they 'lost' money, because to lose money it would have required these individuals to had an intention on buying these until they found the video online and we have proof this is happening, especially when the videos are years old.

We can't tolerate people stealing money from fighters and retarding the growth of the sport. If we don't do our part to curb this, then we could very well see the end of MMA in the next few years.

Fighters have contracta and get paid. Dana White doesnt say "sorry Matt Hughes, but we had some pirates downloading the show soo hmm we are going to have to cut your paycheck" you are being niave about the situation.

Daniel J. Darby said:
I'm simply stating that there needs to be more enforcers at this site. By the time a moderator notices the illegal link, the video has probably been viewed or downloaded thousands of times. As soon as that link is discovered, a few more pop up and go unnoticed by the moderators. It's obvious that we need more active moderators on this site.

You must believe Mods are robots am I right? You actually think this will solve the problem? Let's think about your theory for a second.

A member hosts a video.

(as you know there is roughly 200 to 1 thousand members on SD at once)

IF a Mod is even present, by the time he sees the post, opens it, then goes to delete the thread there will still people numerous if not hundreds who have viewed the thread. Mind you, this is 24 hrs a day. It's impossible to have mods on every second of the day as well, especially if they are not being paid.

I think it's sad when great fighters like Sean Sherk and Jason Black have to put their careers on hold and consider retirement because the sport doesn't pay that much.

What? lol. There is hundreds of organizations out there paying fighters more than the UFC. Retiring means you have enough money to never work again. They are being let go because of their performances and losses in UFC not the increase of pirating.

John Creed said:
Than shouldn't you be complaining about Google video and Youtube, instead of crying about Sherdog? Sherdog doesn't host any of those files.

I know that Sherdog doesn't host those files; I'm just concerned that the staff at Sherdog isn't doing everything in its power to prevent these links from being displayed at the forums. Every true fan of MMA should do their part to stop piracy. I just don't think everyone here is fulfilling their obligation to the sport.

And if you really cared about MMA, shouldn't you be complaining about the Pride trolls who are ruining the main board and being anti-UFC just for the fun of it instead of supporting a sport in the US that we all love?

I have complained several times about the troll threads here at Sherdog, but those complaints seem to fall on deaf ears. I guess Sherdog is content to just be a second rate MMA forum. It's no wonder why mma.tv has so many more fighters and promoters posting over there.

DridenGX said:
Whether SD prevents these files on the board is irrelevant. This is only one of many online forums linking these videos. This is why you need to go after the source. And hosting old videos of fights most people have seen is not going to slow any progress.

False. Truth is fighters will always be paid. They don't lose a dime, and neither do actors or musicians. The only ones who lose money are the companies behind the scenes and even then it doesnt hurt them, it only kills a % of their profits, those profits that fill their selfish pockets. Plus, how do you know those who downloaded these videos were EVER going to buy these videos anyways? If they had Zero intention to purchase these videos than you can't say they 'lost' money, because to lose money it would have required these individuals to had an intention on buying these until they found the video online and we have proof this is happening, especially when the videos are years old.

Fighters have contracta and get paid. Dana White doesnt say "sorry Matt Hughes, but we had some pirates downloading the show soo hmm we are going to have to cut your paycheck" you are being niave about the situation.

No offense, but I think you're the one who's being naive here. One of the primary sources of revenue for these organizations comes from PPV and video sales. I think we can all agree that piracy cuts into that revenue. How else are these organizations supposed to make money if people aren't paying to see what these organizations are promoting? How can Dana White continue to pay Matt Hughes if PPV and video sales are dwindling because people would rather download his fights for free? Please tell me how people are supporting the fighters by sharing files. If the industry loses money, then the fighters will most certainly lose money as well.

DridenGX said:
You must believe Mods are robots am I right? You actually think this will solve the problem? Let's think about your theory for a second.

A member hosts a video.

(as you know there is roughly 200 to 1 thousand members on SD at once)

IF a Mod is even present, by the time he sees the post, opens it, then goes to delete the thread there will still people numerous if not hundreds who have viewed the thread. Mind you, this is 24 hrs a day. It's impossible to have mods on every second of the day as well, especially if they are not being paid.

I don't expect the mods to delete every questionable thread the moment they appear; however, I do find it ridiculous that many of these threads are able to stay on the first page, in full view, for many hours, while they go completely unnoticed by the mods. The lack of active moderators in this forum is something that needs to be addressed. I've stated this several times already. If there was ever an expression that could be applied to the current state of Sherdog, it would be this one: While the cat's away, the mice will play.

Daniel J. Darby said:
No offense, but I think you're the one who's being naive here. One of the primary sources of revenue for these organizations comes from PPV and video sales. I think we can all agree that piracy cuts into that revenue. How else are these organizations supposed to make money if people aren't paying to see what these organizations are promoting? How can Dana White continue to pay Matt Hughes if PPV and video sales are dwindling because people would rather download his fights for free? Please tell me how people are supporting the fighters by sharing files. If the industry loses money, then the fighters will most certainly lose money as well.

Simply put. advertisements and sponsers pay the UFC. Why do you think Dana is pushing the UFC on Spike with UFN free shows? Soon the UFC will be so mainstream that PPVs wont be as necessary for income

Back