Please Critque Me

How long have u been training?

Im no expert or anything but your kicks and knees seemed pretty good. Your punches were fast and crisp, one thing that I could add would be you should work on your shoulder roll more and keep your elbows in more.

the good - nice display of good basic "offensive" movements.

the bad - every time the pad holder threw an attack, you just stood there after you defended. Work on getting in and out and back in again quickly. I can always tell someone who has good skill when THEY make the pad holder work harder and not the other way around.

the ugly - it seems a common, not so much error, but negligence to "footwork". Again, i am only speaking about the short clip that you presented. I don't know your training method. For all i know, it could be that you were "gassed". This leads to my final point, you need to work more cardio and endurance. You probably already know this.

To sum up - You got some nice offensive skills, but lack the defensive and countering skills along with evasive footwork. With a tweaking of your training along with an aggressive cardio program, i see you progressing very far in the sport. Keep it up!

1. you seem to throw a lot of arm punches

2. your kicks are decent but you leave yourself open for a counterpunch

3. when your padholder threw kicks at you, you didn't defend/check them, you kinda half-stepped back and stopped midcounter

4. you dropped your hands an extreme amount of times

5. when you land your kicks, you leg is too straight, and it makes it easier to catch, at least in my experience and also takes away some of the torque that comes from twisting your hips

1. When you practice knees, have the padholder resist, and twist him around, wrestle with him. Since no one's gonna let you grab him and knee him in the face :)

2. meh about the arm punches. I mean Kicks matter more in MT anyways. So until you get some straight boxing training in, eh whatever

3. What above said about the turning the hips. Turning your hips doesn't just add power, makes the kick "sharper" and harder to catch

4. What above said about the kicks. You moved out of range which is good (I mean why block when you can just get out of range), but it would definately be good practice if you checked them/elbow blocked/blocked.

For checking kicks, remember to point your shin slightly outwards so your shin meets his foot hopefully

O BIG THING

When you moved backwards to avoid your padholder's kick you moved your front leg first. Don't do that.

"leaping backwards" needs to be CRISP. Why? Because what if your opponent chases you down instead of just throwing the kick? Bad footwork would kill you in that situation

If you have a double end bag you can practice jabbing and then "pulling" yourself back with your rear leg. LOTS of people unconsciously move their front leg first when stepping away. ALWAYS be aware that you are moving your rear leg first and also keeping it tight, keeping in stance and your hands up while you move out of range

1. When you practice knees, have the padholder resist, and twist him around, wrestle with him. Since no one's gonna let you grab him and knee him in the face :)

2. meh about the arm punches. I mean Kicks matter more in MT anyways. So until you get some straight boxing training in, eh whatever

3. What above said about the turning the hips. Turning your hips doesn't just add power, makes the kick "sharper" and harder to catch

4. What above said about the kicks. You moved out of range which is good (I mean why block when you can just get out of range), but it would definately be good practice if you checked them/elbow blocked/blocked.

For checking kicks, remember to point your shin slightly outwards so your shin meets his foot hopefully

i wouldn't say that, he's not training/fighting in thailand, also most fighters will walk through those weak punches and counter with a couple of their own (at least i would)

i wouldn't say that, he's not training/fighting in thailand, also most fighters will walk through those weak punches and counter with a couple of their own (at least i would)

Yeah, true. I guess I mispoke, what I really meant was to join a boxing gym to fix the punches rather than take advice from the internet. I mean back when I did TKD I wanted to learn to punch and read all kinds of books and viewed DVD/VHS. All that in the end when I actually started to box was worth maybe a day, like an hour in the gym?

Whenever you kick, you consistently drop your hand on your kicking side. Since kicks are easier to read, you are prone to a nasty counter punch.

evrytime i look at these 'critique me' threads, it makes me cringe
and even worse is the comments that follow like 'your guard is too low, or i don't know much about muay thai but your kicks look pretty good'

at his stage, the problem is not his guard

but the fundamental issue is that he hasn't trained long enough to even comment on
it's impossible to critique someone who can't even throw a basic jab, cross or middle
looks to me like your everyday beginner

keep training until one day your body gets it..

True I am a beginner. Just started 3 months ago. Just looking for some tips. Thanks everyone.

You're back's too straight and your chin is way out there. You have nice punches, I like how you turn your hips into your right straights but more importantly how you snap back into position. Your kicks are okay, but your switch step transition is a bit telegraphed when your hands move away from your face. You're also dropping your hands when you close the gap. How long have you been into it?