Playstation to allow users to change their Play Station Name starting today

Diogenes of Sinope

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

"the online ID change feature on PSN is officially launching to all PlayStation 4 owners later today. You’ll also be able to change your online ID via a web browser, and that feature will also be available starting today."

PlayStation 4:

• Step 1: From your PS4 go to [Settings].
  • Step 2: Select [Account Management] > [Account Information] > [Profile] > [Online ID].
  • Step 3: Enter an Online ID of your choice or choose from one of the suggestions.
  • Step 4: Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the change.
Web browser:

• Step 1: Sign in to your PlayStation Network account and select PSN Profile in the menu.
  • Step 2: Select the Edit button that’s next to your Online ID.
  • Step 3: Enter an Online ID of your choice or choose from one of the suggestions.
  • Step 4: Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the change.

The first change is free, and changes after that will cost $9.99 USD / CAD. For PlayStation Plus members, it will cost $4.99 USD/ CAD for each change after the first one.

https://play.st/2IaMvfC

Should’ve already been a feature but I never needed to change mine, so meh.

I've been ROKKO since the PS2 days. No change for me ever.

I heard you could lose DLC and access to some games because those are tied into your old account name on some games. damn $5 just to change a name.

Blizzard charges around the same after the first change, but it's a consistent $10.

This is a step in the right direction, as I see it. Another stopping point along this very latitude could be Sony's unwillingness with their userbase to allow for updating country of residence. Up until now, I remember reading, users must create a new account if the case, leaving achievements etc. behind as data migration between accounts is not supported.

I'm sure there are precautions behind the limitation that in my ignorance I don't know, but don't both Microsoft's Xbox and Nintendo's Switch allow as much? Seems an outdated measure in today's interconnected world, especially considering the home-run that PSN is (where the digi-space presents as a workaround to any disc regionality hiccoughs). There's always room for improvement or why fix what's not broken?

Sony continues to dominate the competition in the digital space.

Do you ever wonder how much money Sony makes alone on its digital sales? Well, here’s a good indicator for you.

With 2018’s year-end data from the three major hardware manufacturers–Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo–now having been divulged over the past few days via financial reports, many have already started comparing the company’s earnings to one another. While each publisher did relatively well in its own right, Sony specifically continues to dominate the market in a big way compared to its competition. Need proof? Just look at its digital sales.

As pointed out by industry analyst Daniel Ahmad on Twitter, Sony made around $12.5 billion in 2018 purely from PSN. This accounts for digital sales, purchases of add-on content, and other assorted subscription fees like with PS Plus. It’s an impressive sum of money in its own right, but even more impressive when compared to the competition.

For reference, this digital sales total is larger than the entire sum of what Nintendo made in 2018 both in terms of digital [and] physical sales. Sony’s digital sales also surpass Microsoft’s entire earnings for its gaming division in 2018, which as reported a few days ago reached $11.5 billion. So basically, with the rise of digital sales, the returning profitability of annual subscriptions like PS Plus, and the 91+ million PS4s that are in homes around the world, Sony has only had to fall back on its money made from digital purchases to beat the competition. Pretty darn crazy.

(More below)
sauce: Go to external page
cc: @Diogenes of Sinope

This is a step in the right direction, as I see it. Another stopping point along this very latitude could be Sony's unwillingness with their userbase to allow for updating country of residence. Up until now, I remember reading, users must create a new account if the case, leaving achievements etc. behind as data migration between accounts is not supported.

I'm sure there are precautions behind the limitation that in my ignorance I don't know, but don't both Microsoft's Xbox and Nintendo's Switch allow as much? Seems an outdated measure in today's interconnected world, especially considering the home-run that PSN is (where the digi-space presents as a workaround to any disc regionality hiccoughs). There's always room for improvement or why fix what's not broken?

Do you ever wonder how much money Sony makes alone on its digital sales? Well, here’s a good indicator for you.

With 2018’s year-end data from the three major hardware manufacturers–Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo–now having been divulged over the past few days via financial reports, many have already started comparing the company’s earnings to one another. While each publisher did relatively well in its own right, Sony specifically continues to dominate the market in a big way compared to its competition. Need proof? Just look at its digital sales.

As pointed out by industry analyst Daniel Ahmad on Twitter, Sony made around $12.5 billion in 2018 purely from PSN. This accounts for digital sales, purchases of add-on content, and other assorted subscription fees like with PS Plus. It’s an impressive sum of money in its own right, but even more impressive when compared to the competition.

For reference, this digital sales total is larger than the entire sum of what Nintendo made in 2018 both in terms of digital [and] physical sales. Sony’s digital sales also surpass Microsoft’s entire earnings for its gaming division in 2018, which as reported a few days ago reached $11.5 billion. So basically, with the rise of digital sales, the returning profitability of annual subscriptions like PS Plus, and the 91+ million PS4s that are in homes around the world, Sony has only had to fall back on its money made from digital purchases to beat the competition. Pretty darn crazy.

(More below)

Sony's whole infrastructure for online gaming is garbage. So much so they had to spend hundreds of millions after the hack in 2011 to update their systems. Apparently something as simple as a name change would completely fuck everything up. Even now, some games will not be compatible with the name change, so DLC, purchases etc may be void.

The fact that we cannot preview any theme in-store before buying comes to mind, lol. How (not) hard would that be to integrate?

And I'm a big fan of Ps, as you know. /vent

(More below)

Jesus 12.5B just from PSN. People going all digital has to be one of the most exciting things ever for console makers. Their profits are just going to skyrocket.

Are you able to change it to something someone else no longer uses and then receive nude pics messages intended for the original user of that name?

Sony's whole infrastructure for online gaming is garbage. So much so they had to spend hundreds of millions after the hack in 2011 to update their systems. Apparently something as simple as a name change would completely fuck everything up. Even now, some games will not be compatible with the name change, so DLC, purchases etc may be void.

As a developer, for a company as big as they are to allow that to happen is really really fucked up. Ive seen it happen in smaller companies, where the core infastructure of user accounts has been that poorly implemented, that once they start to change things later on it is basically curtains for user accounts unless you throw a lot of resources against a fix(which is also messy, and may end in tears).

Sony seemd to have really dropped the ball, and no doubt it was noticed a long time ago, but people retire/leave/are dimissed and the blame doesnt belong to anyone anymore, but those left have to fix it.

As a developer, for a company as big as they are to allow that to happen is really really fucked up. Ive seen it happen in smaller companies, where the core infastructure of user accounts has been that poorly implemented, that once they start to change things later on it is basically curtains for user accounts unless you throw a lot of resources against a fix(which is also messy, and may end in tears).

Sony seemd to have really dropped the ball, and no doubt it was noticed a long time ago, but people retire/leave/are dimissed and the blame doesnt belong to anyone anymore, but those left have to fix it.
Exactly, they didnt "future proof", and then they implemented more stuff on a shoddy base. They just kicked it down the bucket then 2011 happened, and they had to shell out hundreds of millions to fix what shouldve been fixed a long time ago, for cheaper.

Back