Social [Plastic Waste] Startup turns trash into construction-grade building blocks

So burning plastic is a bad solution? I'm sure there is a way to filter toxic gas and is a matter of cost than anything else.

Government should just force everything back to metal/glass container. I will miss those huge plastic straws from McDonald's

So burning plastic is a bad solution?

Burning shit is what we do when we have no solutions.

Out of all the articles posted in this discussion (and linked in the OP) so far, I think using plastic waste to build pre-fab houses and building roads are the most viable ideas.

Recent news :

Sri Lanka returns containers of illegal waste to Britain

Sri Lanka has shipped back to Britain container-loads of waste that the government said was brought into the island in violation of international laws governing the shipping of hazardous material.

https://www.easterneye.biz/sri-lanka-returns-containers-of-illegal-waste-to-britain/

--

Malaysia plans to return 3,300 tons of plastic trash to US, UK, Canada, and Australia

PORT KLANG, Malaysia (AP) — Malaysia will send back some 3,000 metric tons (3,300 tons) of non-recyclable plastic waste to countries such as the US, UK, Canada and Australia in a move to avoid becoming a dumping ground for rich nations, Environment Minister Yeo Bee Yin said Tuesday.

--

Indonesia sends rubbish back to Australia and says it's too contaminated to recycle

Indonesia says it will send eight containers of household rubbish back to Australia after inspectors declared the material too contaminated to be recycled.

It is the latest in a series of announcements by south-east Asian nations that they will not be dumping grounds for overseas waste.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...alia-and-says-its-too-contaminated-to-recycle

--

'Sordid Chapter' Ends As Philippines Sends Back Canada's Trash

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/31/7286...ends-as-philippines-sends-back-canada-s-trash

--
Treated like trash: south-east Asia vows to return mountains of rubbish from west

For the past year, the waste of the world has been gathering on the shores of south-east Asia. Crates of unwanted rubbish from the west have accumulated in the ports of the Philippines, Indonesia and Vietnam while vast toxic wastelands of plastics imported from Europe and the US have built up across Malaysia.

But not for much longer it seems. A pushback is beginning, as nations across south-east Asia vow to send the garbage back to where it came from.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...vows-to-return-mountains-of-rubbish-from-west

If they agreed to take it and recycle it, they should.

If they are being sent shit they didn’t agree to take they should send it back.

We have to start making better packaging that is biodegradeable or easy to recycle/reuse. Single use shit has to be phased out. Or maybe made of shit that can be burned cleanly for energy? How bout that for a solution?

If they agreed to take it and recycle it, they should.

If they are being sent shit they didn’t agree to take they should send it back.

We have to start making better packaging that is biodegradeable or easy to recycle/reuse. Single use shit has to be phased out. Or maybe made of shit that can be burned cleanly for energy? How bout that for a solution?
Biodegradability and lifestyle changes seem most expedient. My family has virtually stopped ordering take out as a consequence of the considerable amount of styrofoam and other single-use items involved.

The amount of unnecessary waste and the creation of garbage is staggering.

Biodegradability and lifestyle changes seem most expedient. My family has virtually stopped ordering take out as a consequence of the considerable amount of styrofoam and other single-use items involved.

I remember a while back I got carry out from a chain, I think it was Chili’s or maybe Olive Garden. Three regular meals, one desert no drinks. They gave us two HUGE bags, like full size heavy duty paper grocery bags with handles, I was like wtf?? Nearly every component of each meal came in it’s own plastic container, down to the croutons for the salad. I legitimately felt guilty, lol.

I have cut back on plastic bags drastically over the last few years. I cram a lot of stuff into 1 bag or take my own bag or just not bag it.

Lots of small stuff you buy online gets sent in large boxes, which is unnecessary.

Every city/town/county needs to have a recycling center to accept eletronic waste, plastic waste, cloth waste, foam and packagaing waste. My county has a decent recycling center but actual garbage collection could be a lot better ; only have a seperate bin for plastic + paper products and a another bin for all other crap.

it should be law to bring your own resuable containers for takeout.

For delivery, you either give them an old set of reusables back when they arrive, or you buy the ones they brought your food in.

it should be law to bring your own resuable containers for takeout.

For delivery, you either give them an old set of reusables back when they arrive, or you buy the ones they brought your food in.
It is such a superior system. Unfortunately during the pandemic, many of the local establishments in my area have discontinued allowing patrons to bring their own containers.

A few months ago my fiance told me that Bulk Barn wouldn't allow her to use her own glass containers. It almost defeats the purpose at a certain point. :oops:

Recycling is literally worse than just dumping garbage in a landfill. We cherrypick the aluminum and the rest gets sent to Malaysia where they burn or bury it. I wonder who got rich off of selling the concept of recycling to well our intentioned populace.

Thats essentially what America has done with much of its pollution - outsourced it.

One can make an argument for bring manufacturing back to America, where there is better oversight and accountability, based on global environmental concerns.

Thats essentially what America has done with much of its pollution - outsourced it.

One can make an argument for bring manufacturing back to America, where there is better oversight and accountability, based on global environmental concerns.
China refused to take our garbage, so the crap was re-routed to other Asian countries.

With manufacturing coming back, so to the pollution. Most people believe that China possesses most of the world's rare earth minerals, but that isn't true. The reason the US , Australia and other nations stopped processing it is because it is very polluting. If China was to ever stop exporting rare earth minerals / value added goods with rare earth minerals, the US and Aus can just re start mothballed rare earth processing plants.

China refused to take our garbage, so the crap was re-routed to other Asian countries.

With manufacturing coming back, so to the pollution. Most people believe that China possesses most of the world's rare earth minerals, but that isn't true. The reason the US , Australia and other nations stopped processing it is because it is very polluting. If China was to ever stop exporting rare earth minerals / value added goods with rare earth minerals, the US and Aus can just re start mothballed rare earth processing plants.

My view is yes, it will increase domestic pollution. But its kinda like when you grow up, move out of mom and dads house into your first apartment, and then finally realize you can't be such a slob anymore because no one is gonna pick your shit up.

It used to be econically viable for them. Apparently it no longer is.
I read something to the effect that the price of new aluminum is almost as cheap as recycled.

Recent news :

Sri Lanka returns containers of illegal waste to Britain

Sri Lanka has shipped back to Britain container-loads of waste that the government said was brought into the island in violation of international laws governing the shipping of hazardous material.

https://www.easterneye.biz/sri-lanka-returns-containers-of-illegal-waste-to-britain/

--

Malaysia plans to return 3,300 tons of plastic trash to US, UK, Canada, and Australia

PORT KLANG, Malaysia (AP) — Malaysia will send back some 3,000 metric tons (3,300 tons) of non-recyclable plastic waste to countries such as the US, UK, Canada and Australia in a move to avoid becoming a dumping ground for rich nations, Environment Minister Yeo Bee Yin said Tuesday.

--

Indonesia sends rubbish back to Australia and says it's too contaminated to recycle

Indonesia says it will send eight containers of household rubbish back to Australia after inspectors declared the material too contaminated to be recycled.

It is the latest in a series of announcements by south-east Asian nations that they will not be dumping grounds for overseas waste.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...alia-and-says-its-too-contaminated-to-recycle

--

'Sordid Chapter' Ends As Philippines Sends Back Canada's Trash

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/31/7286...ends-as-philippines-sends-back-canada-s-trash

--
Treated like trash: south-east Asia vows to return mountains of rubbish from west

For the past year, the waste of the world has been gathering on the shores of south-east Asia. Crates of unwanted rubbish from the west have accumulated in the ports of the Philippines, Indonesia and Vietnam while vast toxic wastelands of plastics imported from Europe and the US have built up across Malaysia.

But not for much longer it seems. A pushback is beginning, as nations across south-east Asia vow to send the garbage back to where it came from.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...vows-to-return-mountains-of-rubbish-from-west

My wife has been doing some research on this subject. I never knew that the 2nd largest polluter in the world is the fashion industry (microplastics; dyes; clothes don't last as long as they used to, so they are thrown away more often than before.).

And it's all ending up in poorer asian countries.

My view is yes, it will increase domestic pollution. But its kinda like when you grow up, move out of mom and dads house into your first apartment, and then finally realize you can't be such a slob anymore because no one is gonna pick your shit up.

I am all for bringing manufacturing back, but we need to deal with the pollution at home instead of taking advantage of poor nations with corrupt leaders. Need some Federal laws banning the export of hazardous waste.

We're crazy, but when we started our family, we really did a self audit for how much waste we create.

We went old school and used washable-reusable diapers.

Plus, my kid's favorite t-shirt is made from bamboo (and it's super comfy).

My wife has been doing some research on this subject. I never knew that the 2nd largest polluter in the world is the fashion industry (microplastics; dyes; clothes don't last as long as they used to, so they are thrown away more often than before.).

And it's all ending up in poorer asian countries.

Another big polluter and extremly deadly job is the ship breaking industry, which is dominated by Bangladesh. It is a big money earner for a tiny few rich connected families so the authorities go along with it.

Won’t we be able to just hurl it into space someday?

Back