planning to make a bjj survey... do you have question you want asked?

Kyuktooki

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I want to test out some online survey software that I think I like the design of before I commit to using in for an academic research project I want to do. As I am obsessed with BJJ I thought I might make that the subject. I am thinking 10 questions... some multiple choice, some likert, some open ended, some ranking... so that I can test out the features.
If anyone has suggestions for questions please put them here and I will try to incorporate them. I am thinking about asking about:
favorite/high percentage submissions
takedowns vs pulling guard
gi vs no gi preference vs no preference
cross training
number of hours trained per a week
rank
years trained
An interesting question to me has always been about switching schools.

I love my school, my instructors and my teammates but often wonder what I would do if say I dropped by another school in the area and noticed they had a superior program. The question I guess would be "would you leave your school to attend another local school if you felt you could get better instruction?"

You could ask if they are training for self-defense or for the sport of it?

On a scale (1 - 10, whatever), how intense would you rate your school's sparring in a typical class? 1 being flow, 10 being fight for your life.

how do you feel about Gracie Barra's obsession with headlocks?

Would be cool to see how the statistics break up among different belt/experience levels. For example number of blue belts that consider themselves top/bottom/doesn't matter players compared to guys with more or less experience.

how do you feel about Gracie Barra's obsession with headlocks?

lol, that's not just Gracie Barra, it's a lot of Gracie schools. Those old school Gracie self-defense techniques are all about headlocks and bearhugs.

How do you feel when you roll with a woman? Do you ever tap out a woman? Sometimes I find it weird rolling with a woman, because I know I can use my strength so I ease off and let her get some taps from me.

What submissions people finish the most often according to size, level and age. (meaning what are the most common subs finished at say...black belt featherweight divisions or blue belt masters heavy, etc...)

I will add size/weight to the demographic information for sure. I doubt I will get a sample size worthy of running correlation statistics through SPSS but if I do get enough responses it would not take me much time for me to do assuming the free account makes the results easy to export.

What is this Gracie headlock thing you guys are talking about? I have never heard this one before.

The question about rolling with girls is somewhat creepily phrased as it exists now. I kind of what to ask some scandalous questions about steroid use and homophobia but worry that people might start messing with my results more if I do (it is not like I am planning to publish this in an academic journal but the nerd in me wants somewhat accurate results)

Back