Places to train wrestling in New York City?

Old Man

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
My takedowns and takedown defense suck. I would like to train some wrestling. Does anyone know any places in or near New York City to train wrestling?

Thanks

Renzo Gracie's school is in manhattan. not a wrestling school, but they can definately help you with takedowns/defenses anyway.

not sure where exactly....near penn station...check his website if your interested.

jkuhlmann said:
Renzo Gracie's school is in manhattan. not a wrestling school, but they can definately help you with takedowns/defenses anyway.

not sure where exactly....near penn station...check his website if your interested.
we work plenty of takedownd

Yeah, I posted the same question on Renzo's website: asking how much they work on wrestling. But I never got a response. I have trained BJJ, but was looking for something more focused on takedowns and takedown defense. BJJ has takedowns and throws, but they don't focus on this stuff and they typically can't takedown/defend like a wrestler can.

Hmm I train at Renzo's and although we do train doing takedowns, it's obvious that a wrestling club or Judo club will help you improve better since that's what they specialize in.

The Metro Wrestling Club is the only place I am aware of in NYC where there is regular instruction and drilling in wrestling techniques (albiet geared for freestyle wrestling) with an emphasis on practice of takedowns. Our coach is there most times, and he's very good at teaching takedowns and counters. I'm sure the freestyle takedowns don't all work in grappling, but it's a starting point. It's a USA Wrestling-chartered club with practices every Wednesday 8-10 pm Sunday 2-5. Rm. 412 Gay Community Center, 208 W 13th St.

Central Park...just insult a few vagrants.

I've trained at renzo's. The guys down there are really friendly. Great atmosphere

Here is a link to wrestling clubs in NY state, most are outside of NYC though:
http://www.themat.com/clubs.php?page=display_clubs&ClubState=NY

Edgemont Wrestling Club is in the city, there are a few in Brooklyn.

Twin Towers Wrestling Club, located at 128 Pitt Street.
For information call Hamilton Fish Recreational Center, 212.387.7687 or email John Harrington at [email protected]

Sadly, manhattan has almost no high school wrestling teams (I think there might only be 1 team) so the majority of clubs are out on Long Island.

Back