Pixar vs. Studio Ghibli

If Pixar had kept up their quality to the level of pre-2010 (toy story 3), id pick them but Disney bought them and turned them into dogshit so i pick Ghibli.

I'd pick Ghibli; they are a bit more consistent in quality and I'd take Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and Castle in the Sky over any Pixar movie. Pixar does have some great works too though, but they also have a lot of mediocre sequels like Cars 2/3, Finding Dory etc. which cheapens their brand a bit imo

maxresdefault.jpg
I don't know why but seeing old studio logos like this brings a tear to my eye. It's unreal how much more awesome they used to be back in the day (the logo and the theme). Studio logos now are unbelievably bland.

Cannon has the most nostalgia for myself. A strong second:
maxresdefault.jpg

I don't know why but seeing old studio logos like this brings a tear to my eye. It's unreal how much more awesome they used to be back in the day (the logo and the theme). Studio logos now are unbelievably bland.
When you saw that magical logo come on to your screen before the movie, you knew you were going to get some action-packed film. Boy, I miss Cannon.

Ghibli by a mile. I hate that soppy oh you can do anything if you believe in yourself crap. Ghibli is like subtle reflections on real life packaged in fantasy (and sometimes not even packaged at all), while Pixar is like Tony Robbins self help crap

Last edited:
My kids and I love Ghibli movies. The narratives are more “artistic” than most of what you get in Pixar movies. The animation is far more impressive than what you get with Pixar.

Cannon has the most nostalgia for myself. A strong second:
maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, I remember I always associated Carolco with T2 because the logo played on the VHS before the movie. Was great.

This is one of my favorites of all time. It makes me that that they got rid of it. But rightfully so I guess. No modern movie could live up to this epic intro:

this is with out a doubt the greatest movie (feature or short) that pixar created.

Ghibli by a mile. I hate that soppy oh you can do anything if you believe in yourself crap. Ghibli is like subtle reflections on real life packaged in fantasy (and sometimes not even packaged at all), while Pixar is like Tony Robbins self help crap

I do think Pixar have only really hit their full potential a few times personally, the first halfs of Wall-E and Up or parts of The Incredibles and Inside Out but there is a tendancy to drop back to very schmaltzy on the nose drama, certainly not bad but some way behind Ghibli that tends to be rather more subtle and mix in rtaher more adult plot lines.

Something like Porco Rosso I think a good example of that, on the surface an adventure story that includes a young female character who learns to believe in herself, behind that a film about WW1 survivors guilt and rising facism.

Last edited:
Ghibli is fantastic, they make all time great movies.

Pixar is mostly awful if you are older than 12.

Ghibli is fantastic, they make all time great movies.

Pixar is mostly awful if you are older than 12.

Ghibli for me. Some of it could be nostalgia, but there have been so many good Ghibli ones. A lot tend to touch on some darker undertones, while still being good for children. Porco Rosso was brought up earlier, which is my personal favourite one.

Pixar is great but studio Ghibli has some near perfect movies in their locker. I’d have to go with studio Ghibli .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back