Pimp my fight!

Jake Martin

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
I'm looking for some outside opinions on how to improve my game. This video is from the prelims for the KC Gloves tourney. I'm in the red corner (wearing the blue).

I've never really worked on controlling the ring and cutting it off, which came into play here as I realize he was quicker on his feet than I. My usual game is to control with the jab and counterpunch, but he was trying to do the same thing - only he was better. So I decided to try to stalk him down and brawl with him, but every time I'd catch him, he'd slip out and be gone.

So tear me down, hopefully you guys can see some stuff I need to work on that we haven't caught

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZGyEC7RT2k

Thanks in advance!

edit: Fixed link, thanks KK

That sort of linking doesn't work here homie.

Alright, just watched it. Here's my feedback.

The positives:

- Your hand-speed is nice.
- Your footwork is good, you weren't really slower than he is, he was just a bit better at lateral movement.
- You don't appear gun-shy.
- When you throw it seems tough to throw at the same time, which is good.

The negatives:

- He was a little taller, and you almost never dropped your elevation, so when he went for your head he scored because you were standing up tall. Dropping elevation and more head-movement would have helped.
- When a guy runs around the ring like he did, double-jabs or 1-2 to the body. Take those legs away.
- No uppercuts. He was leaning forward just a bit with his head, uppercuts would have served you well.

Good job though. Stick with it as you've got some real talent.

BTW don't you think it's time you got a Fighter Tag?

I agree KK. I think you should've doubled up your jabs and used headmovement coming in. That would've helped with those straight punches you seemed to have trouble with. I also think you should've thrown bigger combos instead of throwing 1-2s at a time. I think you did best when you mixed up headshots with bodyshots and threw more than 2 punches at a time. I feel I do better against taller guys when I do that as well.

Oh and you should've blasted the dude with uppercuts when he tried to clinch.

Excellent. These are good things I hadn't picked up on.

Is there anything I can do to work on cutting off the ring, besides simply sparring against a guy who I need to cut off?

Just some stuff I could throw in on my own training time at home?

Do you think a maize bag would help working my head movement? I do try to train it, but not nearly enough because I don't do it instinctively.

Thanks for the tips so far, guys.

Excellent. These are good things I hadn't picked up on.

Is there anything I can do to work on cutting off the ring, besides simply sparring against a guy who I need to cut off?

Just some stuff I could throw in on my own training time at home?

Do you think a maize bag would help working my head movement? I do try to train it, but not nearly enough because I don't do it instinctively.

Thanks for the tips so far, guys.

for cutting off the ring, I work on a smaller bag (like 50-70lbs) since it moves around a lot. I work on chasing after it, cutting off, throwing while moving, etc. I just started doing this, so I can't tell you if I have been effective in implementing during sparring. My trainer just tells me I to do more footwork drills and that I need more experience in sparring.

The maize bag is the thing that hangs from the ceiling and swings like a pendulum, right? I've never used one but I would assume it would help since Tyson used it for his training his headmovement was awesome.

But what I realized with myself and other less experienced boxers, is that most people don't move their head simply because they're not conditioned to do so. People tell me I have good headmovement and all I really think it is that I move my head after every combination. When I'm shadowboxing or hitting the bag, I move my head after almost every combo because I keep that mindset and developed it into a habit. Now its to the point that I can't throw a combo without moving my head at the end.

everything i would've said is above and way more.

that loss wasn't because of a lack of effort keep working at it.

one thing I saw while watching... you telegraph alot...

you do that because it looks like your loading up on your shots to try and knock him out with one big combo...

this is not good for several reasons... its slows you down, telegraphs when your going to punch, makes you tired faster, makes you overcommit, leaves you open for people who are faster to the punch or counter-strikers

the reason KK said you were both punching at the same time was your opponent could see you loading up and getting ready to throw and he would step in... throw a straight,fast combo and immediatly step out... during which time you'd try and throw your combo...but by the end he's already be backing out and to the side...

don't try to knock his head off... just snap your punches in hard but with control and pace yourself.

Kokoro

I tried to make a new thread for this last night and this morning, but I'm having problems doing that so I'll just resurrect this thread instead...

Hey guys, last month I posted my fight from the KC Gloves on here and got a lot of good advice regarding what I needed to work on (mostly head movement and ring control were the responses I got). I spent a lot of time working on both of those, and though they're nowhere near the level where I want them - I feel I improved since my last fight.

This last weekend I had another fight, though it was only a charity event with 3x1minute rounds, I had a good time and it was a pretty 'pressure free' way to try out the stuff I'd been working in a live-fire situation.

So once again I come to you guys to ask for pointers and advice, I really appreciate any help I can get.

YouTube - Jake Martin vs Bryan Schillig

(I'm in the blue trunks/shirt, out of the red corner)

Once again thanks a bunch guys, I really try to work on things that I am weak in, and the more eyes I get finding those weaknesses, the better.

I think more upper body movement in general would of helped. and work on cutting him off into the corner with side steps and such.

Try skipping more to get lighter on you're feet, and take boxing steps instead of walking around the ring. ask you're coach for some foot co-ordination drills.

Back