Pickles

Mojorisin99

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do pickles hold any nutritional value? We have tons of pickles around the house and I find myself snacking on them all the time. I am talking just regular dill pickles here.

My girlfriend's Mom is crazy about canning foods. I have jars of pickles, pickled carrots, and pickled asparagus, plus tones of peaches and apples and tomatoes everywhere. She does this all herself and grows everything on her own except for the asparagus and peaches. I'm curious about this as well.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20mU.html

The Good
This food is low in Saturated Fat, and very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber and Vitamin K.

The Bad
This food is very high in Sodium, and a large portion of the calories in this food come from sugars.

So what would be the consensus, thumbs up? Seems like positives outweight the negatives. I am not trying to cut weight or anything.

I love pickles.

I got a pickle I got a pickle I got a pickle hey hey hey.

Pickles = sodium chloride supplement. Do you need that?
No cals to speak of, though!

If I'm not an old man or about to have a heart attack do I really need to watch my salt intake?

Yes, it's a good idea to keep your sodium down. Sodium adds to your blood pressure, and having a higher blood pressure over a long period of time dammages the vein walls; they become swollen and heal back thicker, making the opening smaller.

Mojorisin99 said:
Do pickles hold any nutritional value? We have tons of pickles around the house and I find myself snacking on them all the time. I am talking just regular dill pickles here.

hmm, perhaps you're pregnant.

Back