Philosophy

$uperman

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm reading Consolations of Philosophy by Alain de Botton. Every time I gave information about the book to my brother he kept saying "but how useful is that?

That made me think.

So how useful is philosophy?

To answer my question. Philosophy made me a better thinker. I think deeper about things.

Also, philosophers are very smart, and they think about important subjects in life. So that made me understand life better.

Is this thread a Question, or a statement?

<Kpop01>

That book include anything on sophistry?

Is this thread a Question, or a statement?

<Kpop01>

iy2l7QE.jpg

Well if you get a degree in Philosophy you pretty much only have 2 career options, become a preacher or teach Philosophy.

I'm reading Consolations of Philosophy by Alain de Botton. Every time I gave information about the book to my brother he kept saying "but how useful is that?

That made me think.

To answer my question. Philosophy made me a better thinker. I think deeper about things.

Also, philosophers are very smart, and they think about important subjects in life. So that made me understand life better.

Philosophy means to love wisdom, that's its translation. I wouldn't say it has a pragmatic use, very few skilled jobs require any knowledge of philosophy. That said, it will make you a better person to have strong reasons for your beliefs about life and morality. This will naturally make you a more critical thinker which can translate into other professions.

I suggest you read Alfred North Whitehead, but if you're just getting started then get your Plato, Nietzsche, Socrates, Descartes, Kant, Hume, Confucious, Locke and other essentials.

Your brother is sick of you being a deadbeat hippie.

It's practical in so far as it can foster happiness at a more efficient rate, allowing you to spend less time on your thoughts and more time doing. More time getting stuff done.

The stage of philosophy where your delving deeper is a terribly unpractical time, and it should be treated as a life trap.

Science is about what we know, and philosophy is to an extent about what we don't.

Philosophy is a useful tool for examining the human condition in a way that science isn't.

Well,

To be fair Alexander's teacher was Aristotle...

Worked out fine for him..

Well if you get a degree in Philosophy you pretty much only have 2 career options, become a preacher or teach Philosophy.
Law?

My best friend in hs has a degree in philosophy and is now in the SWAT team.

Philosophy is basically religion w/o the supernatural elements, i.e. explaining life and meaning and purpose w/o bringing in theistic elements

Quite a useful tool IMO

Have a philosophy degree...

Am a teacher.

That made me think.

Philosophy is what defines the world. It is meta-science. What I mean by meta-science is that it defines what it means to be. There is, for example, the philosophy of science. This philosophy tries to get at the question of what constitutes science. We can discuss this on various topics. These are your meta-philosophies.

There are various questions that philosophers ask such as the philosophy of mind where they try and determine the mind body problem. Ethics and logic also constitute philosophy. There is a huge number of questions that philosophers study that effect the world. I think if we at least taught logic in elementary and high schools we would have a better thinking citizens.

Back