PFL International Qualifier Series: Africa on November 5 (ESPN+)

STAY GOLD

Sherdog.com Staff
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
pfl-africa-series-banner.webp

Last edited:
This is another card I saw listed, but I couldn’t find much info on.

I have no idea who any of these fighters are and I couldn’t even find the full name of some of the fighters on the card.

The ones I did find seem to have very little pro fights and a different amount of amateur fights.

This is another card I saw listed, but I couldn’t find much info on.

I have no idea who any of these fighters are and I couldn’t even find the full name of some of the fighters on the card.

The ones I did find seem to have very little pro fights and a different amount of amateur fights.
Very regional MMA show with the PFL name slapped on it. It seems like the WSOF/PFL way of global expansion. It's not even copromoting like Brave CF does with all their international shows.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PFL Europe Events are some smaller promotion like EMC and with the PFL Europe tournament guys on the main card and the EMC guys on the prelims

It's rare that I see a pro card and haven't even heard of anyone on it but here we are.

It's rare that I see a pro card and haven't even heard of anyone on it but here we are.
Some of the fighters on this card will be making their pro debut. Some have a wild amount of amateur fights, others don't even have recorded amateur fights. Some don't even have Tapology profiles which is why I can't find out their full names.

Seems like they are doing what KOTC was doing for years(maybe still are) and that is basically lending(renting) the name for an event by a local promoter to try to bring in more business.

Sounds like PFL if I remember correctly was looking to bring some of these winners in these small shows up to some type of tournament in that continent. So down the road they hold like Africa tournament and so on to build up fighters and eventually in a perfect world have like PFL running in Europe, Africa, South America, Central America, Middle East, etc. Not sure it will ever get to that point but that my understanding of the end goal at this time.

Seems like they are doing what KOTC was doing for years(maybe still are) and that is basically lending(renting) the name for an event by a local promoter to try to bring in more business.

Sounds like PFL if I remember correctly was looking to bring some of these winners in these small shows up to some type of tournament in that continent. So down the road they hold like Africa tournament and so on to build up fighters and eventually in a perfect world have like PFL running in Europe, Africa, South America, Central America, Middle East, etc. Not sure it will ever get to that point but that my understanding of the end goal at this time.
That’s what @TorontoTO have been saying — it’s what they were doing before under WSOF with WSOF Global. Create partnerships with smaller organizations and let them put your logo all over their events.

It seems like they cancelled this. After they posted the card on the ESPN website, they removed it. It’s also not listed on the ESPN+ app anymore. I wasn’t familiar with any of the fighters on the card, but I was looking forward to this.

It seems like they cancelled this. After they posted the card on the ESPN website, they removed it. It’s also not listed on the ESPN+ app anymore. I wasn’t familiar with any of the fighters on the card, but I was looking forward to this.
Yeah. No live links to current info.

So obligatory

<FookIsThatGuy>

Saw this this morn when running Sat Cards I may peruse. I rarely if ever work ahead of schedule. I'm a lazy fekk like that.

Might tune in for giggles and just to see.

There are like 5 MMA cards for free between 11 and 4 pm (UFC), maybe more.

Oh how to wile away my Sat afternoon...

{<BJPeen}

Edit: Or not - seems it's cancelled.

Great promotion for this stuff. When are they planning on actually announcing these IQS shows? I hope they just go to obscure countries like some small African one or an Island nation in the middle of the pacific

Great promotion for this stuff. When are they planning on actually announcing these IQS shows? I hope they just go to obscure countries like some small African one or an Island nation in the middle of the pacific
They have a qualifier in Brazil next week but they do not intend to promote it or even announce who is competing?

They have a qualifier in Brazil next week but they do not intend to promote it or even announce who is competing?
They didn’t promote this event. ESPN+ had the event scheduled on their calendar, but there is no info on it anywhere. I found the card searching for the event on the ESPN website and even then it didn’t have all of the info.

They aren’t promoting these events at all. They’re just using regional events and throwing their banner across it, but it’s not really a PFL event, so they aren’t really bothering with them.

Last edited:
They didn’t promote this event. ESPN+ had the event scheduled on their calendar, but there is no info on it anywhere. I found the card searching for the event on the ESPN website and even then it didn’t have all of the info.

They aren’t promote these events at all. They’re just using regional events and throwing their banner across it, but it’s not really a PFL event, so they aren’t really bothering with them.
I wonder who at PFL thinks that this is a good idea. They are just cheapening the brand even further.

Someday Africa will be the place to go for top fighters mainly in the upper weights. But right now they have a long way to go.

Back