PBP PFL 3: 2021 Regular Season, Thurs. 5/6, 5:30 PM ET/2:30 PM PT PBP Discussion Thread

Who wins in the PFL 3 main event?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd say he tapped. The guy can't see shit so the first tap (and obviously considering it's only 1) can be excused. At that point he felt and knows where Werdums body is. What else would he be trying to accomplish raising his hand and slapping it back down a second time besides tapping.

Paul-Harris-Shields.gif

Have to make sure always.
:)

He tapped. PFL is such a mess right now.

I don't understand why the broadcast interviewed Werdum and not the guy who officially won the fight? Let's get his perspective on what happened. Don't think I've ever seen a fight where the loser gets TKO'd and then they interview the loser but not the winner.

I'd say he tapped. The guy can't see shit so the first tap (and obviously considering it's only 1) can be excused. At that point he felt and knows where Werdums body is. What else would he be trying to accomplish raising his hand and slapping it back down a second time besides tapping.
If he was trying to tap, he was doing it wrong because a bunch of people in here are not 100% convinced that that was a tap

First touch the hand comes from too far away, he slaps the shoulder, looks like he was trying to find the shoulder
Second touch, I'm not sure why he touches the shoulder again but there's too big of a pause, if you're trying to tap it should be two quick movements

If Renan was speaking sign language he was mispronouncing the words

Thoughts in case anyone gives a shit.

- Umalatov looked good, nice ground and pound and really melted the dude once he poured it on, interested to see him again. Wonder if they could do a showcase fight with OAM maybe.

- Guardado Vs the Ukranian girl was kind of a nothing fight really, Guardado did just about enough to win without looking good in doing so.

- Goltsov is easily a UFC quality HW. I'd have liked to see him fight Willis so we could have seen him tested against another UFC quality HW rather than running through Mo Muscle.

- Fabian Vs Sanchez was again kind of a nothing fight, Sanchez reminds me of Alexis Dufresne, which is hardly a compliment. Fabian has okay fundamentals which is enough to make her one of the better women's 155ers

- Young Vs Dandois I was barely paying attention to tbh.

- No idea what Delija was thinking in his fight. Why he decided to stand and bang with a guy coming up from LHW who has every one of his wins by KO is beyond me. Probably wins that fight more often than not if he's more technical with it. Very violent finish from Bruno to take advantage of it.

- Larissa looked really good, rolled through the girl easily and is the only competition for Kayla in this field.

- Good performance by Sayles. It seems Usman has nothing if he can't get his wrestling going. I will say he has a lot of heart though.

- Kayla was just being Kayla, she looks even better and is a world class fighter.

- Not sure what to make of the main event, can't decide whether I think Renan was tapping or not. Good strong ground and pound to finish Fabricio off.

Be honest with yourself, if the roles were reversed, would you think it was a tap?

PFL is fucked now. All their big names from the UFC either lost or pulled out with some kind of injury. Returning champs/challengers lost and might end up eliminated. The playoffs will be Kayla Harrison and a bunch of no-names.
On the other hand, they have created new contenders that people now know that are better than these big name UFC fighters and also better than the best fighters from the previous seasons. This tournament is no longer predictable and now it got interesting to see how it develops. People thought Pettis and Werdum were going to win the tournament easily and now we don't know who will win, that makes it much more interesting for me at least.

In reality PFL is fucked because people only watch and care about UFC. They can have better more talented fighters or worse fighters. They can have big ufc names or unknown fighters. They can pay them 1 million or 5k. Nobody watches unless it's UFC

I don't understand portuguese but Werdum is doing a live on IG and he and his coach are talking about a no contest.

It seems its likely gonna get changed to a NC according to them

Does that mean Ver Doom is still in the tourney?

Oh right. Guess that's why it's called PF "league"
Yeah the "playoffs" are like a tourney, but everyone gets 2 chances to qualify.

A first round finish win + a loss = 6 pts
Two decision wins = 6 pts

Not sure what the tiebreaker criteria is.

I'm not sure why the PFL only has the top 4 making the playoffs this year. The last season the men's divisions had the top 8 qualifying. In a 10-person field, with only 2 regular-season fights it's going to be extremely difficult to qualify if you lost your first fight.
On the other hand it seems in past seasons if you won at least 1 fight you were almost guaranteed to make the playoffs, so the points were mostly just about seeding.

Also, 2 of the HWs start with -1 points because their scheduled bout had to be postponed. I guess it was visa issues but I was annoyed that they didn't explain the situation on the broadcast.

Controversy (and a poor tap card) aside I thought it was a solid outing for PFL. Interesting and engaging - upsets and a good bit a smesh.

Couple over the top squash matches but all good.

H
That guy is fucking huge. No man on earth wants to be hit by him. His composure in those subs was the difference.

not to mention the fact he tapped out and then continued to attack.

Werdum has nothing to complain about, he tried to lock in the triangle/armbar even tighter lol

Back