Rumored Pettis vs Horiguchi II in the works for the BWGP

careto

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

Dont know how to time stamp and too lazy to learn, but Josh mentions and Stots confirms that Pettis vs Horiguchi II seems to be the direction they are going with for the opening round of the GP.

IMO, this is a bad idea, looks like Bellator really wants Horiguchi to be their champion and they are giving him a second shot at the belt. Seems unfair to me, he got his shot and was putting a clinic until he got caught. We need to see fresh match ups. Stots doesnt seem opposed to being next in line for the title but Bellator will probably put them in opposite sides of the brackets, since him and Pettis are team mates. Pettis vs Mix would be the next logical match up to me.

BTW, the entire Stots interview is pretty interesting, Stots has the personality to make it big.

I agree honestly with that. Horiguchi was dominating the bout and it's a much more marketable matchup then anything else in the GP. Stots and Pettis don't want to fight each other since they have been friends for a long time, so Pettis getting eliminated early would avoid that situation. Magomedov just lost, Higo, Mix don't deserve the title shot and for sure not Gallagher. Archuleta hasn't fought since losing to Pettis so doesn't make sense.

Might as well run it back. It would make the fight way more interesting if they met in the final, only that would be taking a big risk with these guys.

Gucci needs this. His KO loss was one of the KO’s of the year. Brutal.

Titles shouldn’t be on the line during a GP.

I can see both sides of the argument but I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch.

Of course title should be on the line when the fights are months apart.

I agree. The thing I hated most about Pride was how much more important a GP title was over the actual title in reality, because it was treated more like a prop than an actual championship.

I'm not a fan of how Bellator has scheduled their Grand Prix events for the most part but I'm glad they make the title a part of the proceedings.

I can see both sides of the argument but I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch.

I agree. The thing I hated most about Pride was how much more important a GP title was over the actual title in reality, because it was treated more like a prop than an actual championship.

I'm not a fan of how Bellator has scheduled their Grand Prix events for the most part but I'm glad they make the title a part of the proceedings.

and it was bad if a champion were to somehow lose, like Wandy did all those years ago, which would totally devalue the championship and create a paper champ. The same thing could happen in this Bellator tourney, too (the devaluing). Say the title changes hands three times, then you have a free for all of mediocrity. This is why champions shouldn’t participate in GP’s. But I get it. You can’t pass up the opportunity to win a million dollars, especially at that weight.

and it was bad if a champion were to somehow lose, like Wandy did all those years ago, which would totally devalue the championship and create a paper champ. The same thing could happen in this Bellator tourney, too (the devaluing). Say the title changes hands three times, then you have a free for all of mediocrity. This is why champions shouldn’t participate in GP’s. But I get it. You can’t pass up the opportunity to win a million dollars, especially at that weight.

I'm not quite sure why you quoted me, when I said both sides I meant whether there should be a rematch or not. If you're looking for my opinion on whether titles should be on the line in a GP, it depends on a few things, including how quickly it takes place.

Dont know how to time stamp and too lazy to learn, but Josh mentions and Stots confirms that Pettis vs Horiguchi II seems to be the direction they are going with for the opening round of the GP.

IMO, this is a bad idea, looks like Bellator really wants Horiguchi to be their champion and they are giving him a second shot at the belt. Seems unfair to me, he got his shot and was putting a clinic until he got caught. We need to see fresh match ups. Stots doesnt seem opposed to being next in line for the title but Bellator will probably put them in opposite sides of the brackets, since him and Pettis are team mates. Pettis vs Mix would be the next logical match up to me.

BTW, the entire Stots interview is pretty interesting, Stots has the personality to make it big.

You just click share under the video then tick the button where it says to start from that position and copy and paste the link it gives you in the box. It's so easy even a retard like me can do it.

Might as well run it back. It would make the fight way more interesting if they met in the final, only that would be taking a big risk with these guys.

Gucci needs this. His KO loss was one of the KO’s of the year. Brutal.

Titles shouldn’t be on the line during a GP.

I think if the promoter is in control of the matchmaking then it's fine to have the title on the line in a GP as you can basically give the champion worthy challengers throughout.

The only issue was when they let the fighters pick opponents in the FW GP which meant you had Pedro Carvalho as a world title challenger which was a bit sad.

In response to the new thread topic: I see no issue with titles being on the line in a GP as long as they get recovery time between fights. At the end the best man should have the belt in theory. I'd also be fine with the champ sitting it out and the GP winner being the #1 contender, but the champ probably wants to fight to get paid.

In response to the original thread topic: I'm a Horiguchi fan and I want him to get that belt. Idc which round of the GP it comes in. I'm fine with the opening round.

Should do Gooch/Gallgher to get the dollar store McGregor out quickly.

Not that he'd make it out of the first round either way, but it gives Gooch a highlight finish.

Title should always be on the line when a champ fights. Makes zero sense to have non-title fights.

Let us not forget the shambles of a non-title bout Christian M'Pumbu had in Bellator.

It was a shame though, because he'd looked good in the the tournament up to winning the belt and in the Deep tournament previously.

Last edited:
Gooch was winning and he'll likely win a rematch and wont get caught like that again but would be more interesting to make a fresh fight.

But guess maybe feel since Stots would be the only one deserving of a next shot that fight might be boring so get the belt on Gooch asap.

Good. Kyoji shouldn't have to wait too long to get his strap back

I agree honestly with that. Horiguchi was dominating the bout and it's a much more marketable matchup then anything else in the GP. Stots and Pettis don't want to fight each other since they have been friends for a long time, so Pettis getting eliminated early would avoid that situation. Magomedov just lost, Higo, Mix don't deserve the title shot and for sure not Gallagher. Archuleta hasn't fought since losing to Pettis so doesn't make sense.
At first I was like what a bad idea, then I read this and you're right.
If stot is avoiding Pettis this is the best alternative.

Higo would make sense too he's won 3 in a row since dropping to bw including defeating the former champion Caldwell.

Also I'm surprised Caldwell wasn't even given a spot in the tournament.

Back