Pettis is 4-8 since losing his title including win KO over Wonderboy

Rematch with Guida would make sense
GlossyPlushBangeltiger-size_restricted.gif

merlin_167201508_ad1a782d-cfa7-4ed4-94ad-569938139d66-articleLarge.jpg

"Ehm i was very impressed with Pettis in that last one aye? I think he would be a good fight,at 170 for me."
Dana - 'if Conor beats Pettis, he'll get the next title shot at 155'..

He seems like he has cowboys problem,but it takes longer to happen,haha

That's why Pettis vs cowboy is a good fight. Then Conor can fight the loser.

To be fair, Pettis has only been fighting top guys across 3 divisions. He's in a similar situation as Cerrone for sure.
Yeah that's true. Carlos Diego Ferreira is the first guy in forever to not be very known.

Shoulda left Roufusport. Being the best guy in the gym is cool and all but you don't get better that way.

I think he probably destroys Cowboy a second time though and cowboy just main evented a PPV

The WEC guys are aging out at this point (sad but inevitable) but there is still money to be made for him if he wants it

And to your point about the Wonderboy KO I don't have a problem with people considering it lucky but Pettis also picked up a BS loss to Eddie Alvarez during that run so... it all comes around

Not a Pettis fan but he was screwed against DP, he had a triangle locked up on him and the ref stopped it to check his cut.

One of the most craziest things I've ever seen with no outrage over it. He also should have beat Eddie who did nothing but hold him against the cage.

He tapped out Oliveria and Chiesa and knocked out WB. He's very inconsistent but hes still able to beat ranked opponents.

Personally I'd like to see him rematch Cerrone
So he should have won a fight for being held against the cage?

Pettis fights in a young mans division where speed and power are everything. Alot of posters dont realize you slowly lose your edge even in your late 20s. Nfl running backs are shot by 32,

His style relied on his insane natural abilities, once he started to slow down he became very beatable.

Pettis fights in a young mans division where speed and power are everything. Alot of posters dont realize you slowly lose your edge even in your late 20s. Nfl running backs are shot by 32,

His style relied on his insane natural abilities, once he started to slow down he became very beatable.
Most of the top LW's are around Pettis' age though. Khabib, Conor, and Dustin are all 31. Tony is 3 years older at 35. Everyone ages differently, Pettis' decline came a lot sooner than the vast majority of fighters. I think it's more of a mental thing than anything physical with him.

NFL RB's are generally shot by 32 more so due to years and years of brutal physical abuse and injuries than due to the physiological effects of age. But you're right that speed and explosiveness does definitely start to decline as well. It's just that many MMA fighters hit their prime in their early 30's, so you can't look exclusively at age and make any real judgments.

Cowboy rematch definitely makes sense at this point. Assuming he wants to keep fighting, his heart really doesn't seem to be in it anymore.

Cowboy has nothing for him. Let's have him kill mickey gall instead.

Title hunts are probably over id stick to using his name to get matchups that intrest him on big cards

Pettis loses because of skill and fight IQ not speed and power.

He also lacks power to keep opponents off him, he overall fights very sluggish, which you can't get away with in the lower divisions.

Pettis has confused me more than any other fighter. Biggest fall from grace ever and hugely inconsistent. Goes from knocking out Wonderboy to losing to someone barely anyone knows. wtf

Pettis has confused me more than any other fighter. Biggest fall from grace ever and hugely inconsistent. Goes from knocking out Wonderboy to losing to someone barely anyone knows. wtf
I dont think its confusing. Sure the wonderboy thing shocked us all,but the bottom line,is while pettis was able to pull that one off,he doesnt have much in him left to give,for whatever reason.

Back