Pettis has some seriously underrated Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

CBohl

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
He has some serious BJJ skills.

Very underrated.

Has submission wins over Prime Benson Henderson, Charles Oliviera, and Michael Chiesa.

He might have the same level of BJJ as Nate Diaz.

Really surprised how many people are picking Diaz to beat him

Subbed Gil too.

He's probably worse at positions than Nate, but better at snatching submissions. Pettis is slick as hell on the mat.

This fight will not take place on the mat. Even if Pettis wants it to, Diaz can stuff Pettis and dictate the stand up. Diaz by ud.

Yes he does. I vividly remember him reversing position on Poirier anytime Poirier would take his back.

I'd argue it's not underrated at all and is in fact one of the most well know aspects of his game.

4 of his 9 UFC wins came by sub. Trust me, fighters and fans noticed.

Yep, thats why Mas chose to wrestle fuck him instead of engage the mats when they grappled not long ago

Really good sub there but I'd argue that Benson was still very hurt by that body kick.

Armbar was slick though

Bendo looked ok, he threw elbows in Pettis's guard that were heat.

Hips just too fast, and had both arms trapped and set up. Bendo couldn't tap because his free arm was trapped under the armbarred arm.

Pettis is on point with his submission game. Watching Diaz and him grapple would be nice.....

This fight will not take place on the mat. Even if Pettis wants it to, Diaz can stuff Pettis and dictate the stand up. Diaz by ud.
I actually think Diaz would welcome a ground battle. He has the endurance and experience now to roll for awhile. He’s stated that’s he’s recently been training heavy with Kron and his muy Thai coach had the same instructor as Duke. I wouldn’t be surprised if we even see Nate go for a takedown in this one.

He's got great BJJ, but I still think Nate has the overall better ground game. I'd love to see it hit the mat.

I actually think Diaz would welcome a ground battle. He has the endurance and experience now to roll for awhile. He’s stated that’s he’s recently been training heavy with Kron and his muy Thai coach had the same instructor as Duke. I wouldn’t be surprised if we even see Nate go for a takedown in this one.

Yeah, rolling with Kron, that's a serious training partner.

Pettis is on point with his submission game. Watching Diaz and him grapple would be nice.....
No it would be horrible and rob us of entertainment.
Let em bang and bleed

He’s got a very active offensive submission game, very impressive.

But his position control is lacking. Meaning he’ll blitz you with submissions from everywhere, but he doesn’t have the ability to grind or hold you down. If Nate takes top control it’s pretty much a wrap, he’ll flow with your scramble and secure a better position.

Wasn't he a purple belt when he pulled off some of those subs?

Just goes to show some of the guys in MMA have a blackbelt because they are a big name MMA fighter.

Back