Pettis: Cerrone will go for the takedown

MMAfanWA

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Anthony Pettis (15-2) says Donald Cerrone (19-4) will shoot for the takedown to avoid a stand-up battle at UFC on Fox 6 next month. The former WEC champion must get past Cerrone to get himself in the mix for a shot at UFC LW champ Benson Henderson. "Showtime" lost an uninspiring UD to Clay Guida in his UFC debut, but most recently scored a Knockout of the Night victory over Joe Lauzon. He's the only fighter on the UFC roster who's beaten Henderson. "Cowboy" has gone 6-1 since joining the UFC, but suffered two losses to Henderson in the WEC. Pettis told MMA Junkie he knew he needed to have the best performance of his career.

"Cowboy is a tough guy. He's well-rounded. He wins besides Diaz. He's one of the guys I can make my name off of and get a title shot ... You only have 15 minutes to convince the judges that you're a better fighter, or knock him out or submit him. I've got to get going quick. It's one of those fights, I can't take shots to get going. Whoever makes the first mistake, it can be a short night ... I can guarantee that he's going to shoot first. He's been talking a lot of mess that my standup is this and that, he's going to expose me here. I guarantee you he shoots first."​
To his credit, Cowboy doesn't seem bothered - "I don't care. I don't care what Pettis says. Imma whip his ass the same."

From MMA Lives Here

Damn straight. And he rightfully should. This is the upcoming fight I'm most hyped about, even more than Aldo-Edgar.

On some level I think Pettis is paranoid because of Stephens and Guida's gameplans.

Cerrone's biggest weakness is mental. Cerrone can fault under pressure. He wilted against Henderson in their second fight and against Diaz in that high-pressure situation. He's been asking for Pettis and this is a dream match-up. This will end real fast son.

Pettis got this shit, but i'm really amped up for this fight.

amazing match up.

I guess it's to be expected that everyone is ignoring the fact that he is still injured.

Cerrone better go for the take down or he's going to sleep.

I feel like Cerrone is the bigger, more powerful guy, but what Pettis lacks in size, he makes up with speed and technique. Gonna be a crazy matchup. I've never seen Pettis rocked at all or how he reacts to a big shot.

I haven't been too impressed with Pettis. He looked good against Bendo, but Bendo 2.0 would wreck him. He looked like shit against Guida and moderately good against Stephens...who is hardly the best of competition. Not to mention he wasn't exactly beating him up on the feet, and Cerrone made him his bitch. This is a tough fight to call but I got Donald if he fights smart.

On some level I think Pettis is paranoid because of Stephens and Guida's gameplans.

Maybe, but I doubt he's too worried about Cerrones wrestling. Pettis gave Bendo, Shane Roller, and other good wrestlers fits in trying to take him down. I doubt Cerrone can even come close.

I feel like Cerrone is the bigger, more powerful guy, but what Pettis lacks in size, he makes up with speed and technique. Gonna be a crazy matchup. I've never seen Pettis rocked at all or how he reacts to a big shot.

He got nailed hard by Roller flush on the chin and took it quite well.

"He's been talking a lot of mess that my standup is this and that, he's going to expose me here. I guarantee you he shoots first." Damn he goes hard haha

I don't see Pettis getting caught by anything nor losing by decision. Pettis by TKO

Like someone said he took some hard shots by Roller and also took some hard shots from Stephens. Pettis is tough

There is no way for cerrone to win this. Taking him down is probably the best bet but pettis will be able to defend that fairly easy I think.

Cerrone can win this IMO if he mixes his striking up like against Stephens. His kicking is damn good, that was the most effective he was when Nate beat him. He comes out like he did against Nate it is going to be another long night for The Cowboy.

I haven't been too impressed with Pettis. He looked good against Bendo, but Bendo 2.0 would wreck him. He looked like shit against Guida and moderately good against Stephens...who is hardly the best of competition. Not to mention he wasn't exactly beating him up on the feet, and Cerrone made him his bitch. This is a tough fight to call but I got Donald if he fights smart.

Are you leaving out the Lauzon KO and its impressiveness or did it just slip your mind?

Pettis by being slightly better at everything involving mma than Cerrone.

Back