Peter dismantled Maskaev quick!

question: why didnt maskaev take a knee?

when he got rocked, it was clear that he was hurt.... i caused a scene at the airport lounge because i was jumping up and down yelling to go down...... and lo and behold, the fight was called a few seconds later..... im not exactly a boxing guru, but wouldnt it have been wise just to hit the ground and gather your thoughts for 10 seconds??

Lot of fighters don't think too straight when their bell has been rung.

Taking knees, or waiting on one knee until the ref reaches 8 are under-utilized.

I hope that Peter will unify the titles but I have a feeling that Wladamir will be able to keep him outside with his jab. Leading to yet another boring decision win and questions as to why he is not a great HW champion. I do hope that I am wrong.

question: why didnt maskaev take a knee?

when he got rocked, it was clear that he was hurt.... i caused a scene at the airport lounge because i was jumping up and down yelling to go down...... and lo and behold, the fight was called a few seconds later..... im not exactly a boxing guru, but wouldnt it have been wise just to hit the ground and gather your thoughts for 10 seconds??

Taking a knee would have helped him clear his head a little...

I remember Roy Jones hitting someone when they took a knee and Roy was disqualified and the other fighter was awarded the victory...

Overall taking a knee is a smart move, it seems most boxers with extensive amateur careers take a knee.

I remember Roy Jones hitting someone when they took a knee and Roy was disqualified and the other fighter was awarded the victory...

Overall taking a knee is a smart move, it seems most boxers with extensive amateur careers take a knee.

That was Roy`s first loss in his career against Montell Griffin.

Marco Antonio Barrera also recently lost a point for hitting JMM when he was down in their close fight from last year.

As for Sam Peter becoming THE heavyweight champ I would have to give Wladdy the edge.

While if Peter can land a big shot he can finish anyone, especially someone who might have chin issues like Wladdy I still see it going like most of the rounds in their first tilt should they rematch.

The second round seemed like the beginning to the end of Maskaev...

Maskaev looked like he had no business being called champ.

Peter a lot heavier than previous fights, devastated Maskaev...

Peter will ultimately unify the HW division, does anyone disagree?

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3284835

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3284318

I disagree. Peter looked like shit and got controlled by Maskaev. He was totally dependent on his power. You can't be that one dimensional against better quality fighters

I disagree. Peter looked like shit and got controlled by Maskaev. He was totally dependent on his power. You can't be that one dimensional against better quality fighters

Yep I agree

Maskaev looked to be taking commanbd of the fight until he got rocked again in the 6th. I'm not fully sure he would have even got knocked down had it been allowed to continue , not to say it was a bad stoppage as he WAS taking punishment.. but had the ref been one to allow fights to continue a little long its not inconceivable that he could have taken up where he left off after being rocked in the 2nd round. Peter showed nothing special against the 40 year old chinny Maskaev.. I think he's a worse fighter now than he was against Wlad.

wow, smacked him around like a ragdoll in that 6th round..

lol Can't do no right by people.

"Peter needs to beat a top 5 guy."

Peter beats a top 5 guy.

"Peter needs to beat a top 5 guy better."

Peter KO's a top 5 guy notorious for being tough, and endures his right-hand which was a damn sight better than Rahman did.

"Peter still didn't beat a top 5 guy good enough, he got hit."

Peter showed nothing special against the 40 year old chinny Maskaev.. I think he's a worse fighter now than he was against Wlad.

Oleg's chinny? Seriously? Aside from a couple of losses at the lowest point in his career, he's been KO'd by David Tua, Oliver McCall, and Sam Peter. And only McCall put him away early.

Audley Harrison is chinny, not Oleg Maskaev.

lol Can't do no right by people.

"Peter needs to beat a top 5 guy."

Peter beats a top 5 guy.

"Peter needs to beat a top 5 guy better."

Peter KO's a top 5 guy notorious for being tough, and endures his right-hand which was a damn sight better than Rahman did.

"Peter still didn't beat a top 5 guy good enough, he got hit."

Oleg's chinny? Seriously? Aside from a couple of losses at the lowest point in his career, he's been KO'd by David Tua, Oliver McCall, and Sam Peter. And only McCall put him away early.

Audley Harrison is chinny, not Oleg Maskaev.

Didn't Corey Sanders knock him out too? And Kirk Johnson? I'd say Maskaev falls into the "chinny" category.

No matter tho, I thought Peter looked good in stalking and taking out a crafty, strong guy like Maskaev. A better display than Klitschko's last fight.

Peter is not gonna have any length of reign I dont think. All the talk of all this progress he has made doesnt appear in the ring to me and he looks the exact same fighter who got a boxing lesson but on him by Wladimir. He's alright, tough enough and hits hard and often, but quite slow, clumsy, poor footwork and he misses a lot, and he looks exhausted once it gets to the 6th onwards. There is nothing in how he is fighting to make me think he has any long term staying power unless he is well managed away from the fights he has a low chance of winning.

That's the "flip side" of keeping a level head in the ring. When you see someone hurt and your blood is pumping it's difficult to not rush in. Lots of quality boxers have hit opponents when they're on their knee regardless of era - Mercer or Marciano, Pacquiao or Basillo. But not everyone was penalized for it.

It's a measure of control and clear thinking to take a knee. Teddy Atlas said that there's a few reasons why someone doesn't take a knee but it's usually inexperience. Even seasoned fighters don't always get put in situations that force them to make a tough decisions.

Good for Peters. Maskaev is not champ material. Never was. He has good skills all around but never had any impressive attributes - not a power puncher, chinny, doesn't have speed or high workrate, flat-footed. I think Maskaev exposes the lack of talent in the HW div.

Peter is not gonna have any length of reign I dont think. All the talk of all this progress he has made doesnt appear in the ring to me and he looks the exact same fighter who got a boxing lesson but on him by Wladimir. He's alright, tough enough and hits hard and often, but quite slow, clumsy, poor footwork and he misses a lot, and he looks exhausted once it gets to the 6th onwards. There is nothing in how he is fighting to make me think he has any long term staying power unless he is well managed away from the fights he has a low chance of winning.

You forgot that he has heart. Peters is a boxer that wants to fight. Look at Briggs, Golata, or any other big chumps that have the potential (physically) but don't show up to fight. Hardworking heavyweights are a rarity.

You forgot that he has heart. Peters is a boxer that wants to fight. Look at Briggs, Golata, or any other big chumps that have the potential (physically) but don't show up to fight. Hardworking heavyweights are a rarity.

I dont think its gonna make up for his lack of skill though, he keeps going and going and doesnt quit, but that isnt usually enough to cut it at the top. People say that the HW division is weak, but there are some fighters up there that this workamn approach wont cut it with.

I though Oleg was taking the fight over and controlling it. Peter was caught flush with some hard counters and walked right through em, however i did think one of em hurt Peter. Maybe its just me but most of these fights seems stopped early i mean there was only 4 seconds left in the round if one fighter cant put another away ( or even knock him down ) why stop it? Why not give the fighter a chance to get up and recover? How many classic fights would have happened if they had been stopped to quickly like today?

When Peter got countered himself it looked like he threw the boxing he has learned out the window and reverts to his base behavior ( much like Jermaine does ). Power and behind the head punches. I do like how he comes forward, his stout chin, and thrilling power but i see either K brother beating him again or for the first time. If Vitali can make it through camp i dont think Peter will make it out of the 6th, Vitali doesnt have to fear his power like Vlad and will be unloading more committed shots earlier. It would actually be a better fight from a fans perspective than the rematch HBO was whoring out the other night.

I think he is good, a s solid contender, but will not unify. Too many other tough guys coming up. Povetkin, chagaev, etc. Maskaev was the weakest title holder, everyone knew that. He is great, but older, and had shown his weakness to power several times. I do not think Valuev is a can. I think Valuev will be back strong. I have never seen anyone that size who worked that hard at being fit and disciplined. His chin is solid too. I see Valuev jabbing Samuel into exhaustion and a decision win.

I think he is good, a s solid contender, but will not unify. Too many other tough guys coming up. Povetkin, chagaev, etc. Maskaev was the weakest title holder, everyone knew that. He is great, but older, and had shown his weakness to power several times. I do not think Valuev is a can. I think Valuev will be back strong. I have never seen anyone that size who worked that hard at being fit and disciplined. His chin is solid too. I see Valuev jabbing Samuel into exhaustion and a decision win.

God Damn it you white belt. How dare you beat me to a post like that. I have to agree with you though. Fat Peter landed ONE fucking punch in round five and still got the 10-9 on the judges cards. Can anyone believe that the law suite by Maskaev DID Not cause the fight to be fixed?

Fat Peter is the only fighter I can think of slow enough to make Valuev look like a professional boxer!

Hell at 40+ Butterbean would probably KTFO Peter, Although their blob shapes may be too wide for their arm span to reach the target!

I don't think Peter would be able to box Wladdy, if he turned it into a donnybrook than he has a chance.

I see Wladdy has his only real stopping point in unifying all of the belts.

Peter has devastating power and a good chin. That will take you pretty far against todays hw division. He is still a crude brawler who throws wild punches, gets hit easy, and has pretty slow feet. Wlad should beat him again and should have it even easier the 2nd time. Wlad's chin is the x factor though imo.

Back