Perfection vs. Diversity

kombat athlete

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been viewing the forums for a while now, but this will be my first official post...

It's been said that it is better to fear the man that has done one move 1000 times rather than the man that has done 1000 moves 1 time. When I wrestled, I was taught that it was the "bread and butter" moves that made the difference, and I agree... I only practiced 2 moves from bottom position, and could execute these moves consecutively over and over until it worked or my opponent was out of position. This worked for me, far better than learning a bunch of moves and being mediocre at them.

However, with submissions, might it be better to have a larger repetoire of submissions, for different positions and situations? I was thinking that while in wrestling, you are always in position to hit a move, would submission fighting be different in that you have to be in a certain position before you can effectively set up a submission? Or would quality still rule over quantity?
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldnt find a thread, but I was wondering what some of the opinions from this board were?

I come from the other side. I have a Blakck belt in JJJ Kung Fu and a Brown in Judo. I currently hold a purple in BJJ.

Before my most recent promotion to purple I had to practice long and hard on the basics. So many people always says "wow .. Joe knows so many techs, and if you ever have a question about fights he knows all the fighters and all their movs." But you know what. There is one guy .. my size .. who has trained in martial arts less time than I is the equal rank as me ... and I have never tapped him in sparring.

He doesnt know close to the ammount I do.
He knows just the basic escapes.
But he has two superb take downs and a two great submissions.
And honestly I would give up 100 techniques just to be able to set up a simple kimura from any angle.

I see exactly what you are saying in the sense that you are assuming that there is a particular submission easier to execute from a given position then it must make sense to learn "situational" submission.

IE the guy suddenly has left his one arm and head trapped in your guard then it makes sense to hit the triangle.

But the same IS true in wrestling as well. Perhaps you may have been taught the stand up as your bread and butter escape yet you are on all 4's and the top man is off to your left side too far with his right hand around your waist. a stand up CAN be used but the situation also lends itself to the switch.

Strategy and economy is important in grappling but remember it is a physical sport and sometimes if you master a few basics you can almost will them to happen since you have practiced them so much.

My answer:

BOTH. You practice what you feel are the bread and butter moves 1000 times and practice the situational stuff 200 times.

in a word yes. it is better the other way around. that philosophy is no good in bjj. it's better to try the whole arsenal at least once so u can be AWARE of the weapons used. also you'll be lost if your partner is not in your 'specialty' position

I like to get a few moves that work for me. Maybe 3 from each spot, preferably ones that work in chains so I can just slap each one on hoping it works, if not, adjust, and try again.

Brandon slay wrote a good article on wrestling technique that applies to grappling and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu too IMHO. The main point is, "The more technique you learn, the more options you

"You know a million moves; and they all suck!"
-Carlson Gracie

"i am a blue belt but i cant win a match"

"you are like an eagle with no wings"
i heard this somewhere, basically the basics can win win matches at every level, watch the ryron and rener matches, they mostly do basic techniques...and win a lot

kombat athlete said:
I've been viewing the forums for a while now, but this will be my first official post...

It's been said that it is better to fear the man that has done one move 1000 times rather than the man that has done 1000 moves 1 time. When I wrestled, I was taught that it was the "bread and butter" moves that made the difference, and I agree... I only practiced 2 moves from bottom position, and could execute these moves consecutively over and over until it worked or my opponent was out of position. This worked for me, far better than learning a bunch of moves and being mediocre at them.

However, with submissions, might it be better to have a larger repetoire of submissions, for different positions and situations? I was thinking that while in wrestling, you are always in position to hit a move, would submission fighting be different in that you have to be in a certain position before you can effectively set up a submission? Or would quality still rule over quantity?
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldnt find a thread, but I was wondering what some of the opinions from this board were?
good first post...shows that i ve left the mma discussion...yes your right...its better to heve a very strong hold of YOUR basic techniques...or better said your favorite techniques

My fav move is the heel hook....I'm that little heel hook bastard that will heel hook you from any position =)

glad to see im not totally far off here. i just started a club on campus, so its a learning experiance...
my partner knows so many different techniques, but i just keep hitting a kimura and an arm bar over and over again.

Back