Perfect time for a LW Tournament

SmoothPies

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
With Khabib leaving the belt... the timing is perfect for a LW tournament for the belt. With so much talent right now at LW - this is the perfect time to drum up excitement at LW with a tournament.

Who wins this 8-man tourney?

ROUND 1
Conor vs. Dustin
Chandler vs. Tony
Gaethje vs. Islam
Oliveira vs. Hooker

(I know Islam isn't in the top 8 yet... but I'm throwing him in the mix for some fresh matchups)

I seriously don't know why they haven't done won yet. Everyone loves tournaments, so it's a super easy way to build hype in a division. Just looking at tournament brackets is fun and gives people shit to talk about. Something will probably go wrong, but who cares? That's what alternates are for.

Imagine Conor getting another title shot after just 1 win at LW and it was in 2016

What a PPV that would be. Have all of the top ten LWs fighting. Eight man tournament and alternates.
It’ll never happen, though.

All in one night? That would be unbelievable

They wouldn't do a one-night tournament, but just multiple PPV's would be awesome
giphy.gif

UFC don't do tournaments

They could do something similar to what they did when they brought Flyweight in and just did a four man tournament.

I don't see them doing an 8 man one, it would take too long. But I could see them considering Conor Vs Poirier then Ferguson Vs Chandler with the winners fighting for the belt and maybe Gaethje, Islam, Hooker and Oliveira fighting for #1 contender afterwards.

Tournaments take effort and planning, UFC matchmakers would rather draw names from a hat of guys with the most social media activity

i think its a great idea considering the circumstances. And it would refresh the UFC match making and make it more interesting, and it would also bring back the glory of PRIDE GP, coupled with the fact that the UFC started with tournaments.
I think it would really be refreshing and the promotion of it can be spectacular.

Back