Perfect movies in their genre

Black Comedy horror(Dark humor)-American Psycho and Ravenous

Black Comedy(regular)-Weekend at Bernie's and The Cable Guy

As far as dark comedies go, this is potential GOAT material, imo:
Thank-You-For-Smoking-thank-you-for-smoking-547315_1024_768.jpg

Also Ive always thought Death to Smoochy was criminally underrated.

Black Comedy (horror): Scary Movie 3

Black Comedy (regular): Madea Shits her Pants

Drama - There Will Be Blood/ Chinatown
Action - Die Hard
Horror - Nightmare on Elm St.
Comedy - Dumb and Dumber
Sci-Fi - Blade Runner
Fantasy - Fellowship of the Ring

As far as dark comedies go, this is potential GOAT material, imo:
Thank-You-For-Smoking-thank-you-for-smoking-547315_1024_768.jpg

Also Ive always thought Death to Smoochy was criminally underrated.
For sure.

And they usually end up becoming cult classics. Serial Mom was another good one.

Horror- John Carpenter's The Thing

Science Fiction- Blade Runner

Drama- No Country For Old Men

Action- Predator

Fantasy- Conan The Barbarian

Western- The Proposition

Comedy- Shaun of the Dead

Action: Die Hard
Comedy: The General or The Gold Rush, or something more modern like Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Horror: Psycho
Drama: Seven Samurai
Mystery/Thriller: Psycho
Western: Once Upon a Time in the West or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Adventure: Raiders of the Lost Ark
Romance: City Lights
War: Ran or Platoon
Sci-Fi: Metropolis or 2001: A Space Odyssey
Fantasy: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Sports: Raging Bull
Crime: The Godfather
Noir: The Third Man

Which movies are closest to perfection in their given genre? Drama, action, horror, comedy, sci-fi, fantasy (I defend sci-fi and fantasy having their own genre because they have to build their worlds differently than other kind of films, and both play with different themes than the other).

Drama: There Will Be Blood
I can think of no other film where every single shot, ever piece of of dialogue, and ever single character serves a specific, unique purpose; every individual part of this movie is a like a piece to a puzzle. And the way that the drama of the narrative is brought forward by powerfully quiet acting, intense music, and brilliant cinematography leaves an impression.

Action: T2: Judgement Day
Compelling characters, great story, and a the least ridiculous way to bring back the main character from the first film in a new light. T2 also has, not just for its day, but in the modern period as well, some of the most intense action scenes you'll find. Not scene is wasted, and the action is meant to shock, move the story, and add meat to the characters.

Horror: 28 Days Later
I think 28 days later is near perfection because it refuses to ignore what so many horror films gladly cast aside: a story and characters that you can relate to. Even though the zombie obsession soon followed this film, it's intensity, acting, and overall story make its life eternal. What's better? The budget was 5 million pounds.

Comedy... I actually have no idea because I tend to ignore comedies. Maybe I'm too serious of a person, I dunno.

Sci-Fi: Alien
A haunted house movie with the fatal flaw removed: you can't wall out the door. It builds a big enough world that you buy into the story, but the mystery of the alien is, somehow, so damn compelling that you can't help but want to hear about its mythology. What's more, the casting is amazing. Each actor does a brilliant job, and their relationships are tactile, which makes the main character that much more interesting. Throw in a freaky, mysterious alien killing everyone into the mix and you've got yourself the mother of sci-if horror.

Fantasy: Return of the King
This isn't an easy film to pick because there is so much good fantasy out there. Return of the king has help with its film because the story is built up by 6 hours of film... but return of the king's source material probably what helps it be one of the greatest films of all time, and certainly in the running for best fantasy film. Huge plot shifts, character growth, a seriousness in the midst of absolute fiction, and a foundational mythology that simply rings true to the wester psyche, the movie kind of has everything that makes us attracted to a movie. Although many of us to the end of the movie because of the book, Jackson nails euchatasrophe, and really pulls at the feels. The only failure of this film is not capturing the real end of Return of the King as found in Tolkien's original book.... but the way Jackson picked from the story is to be commended.

So, your list.

Drama: The Godfather Part II
Obviously a quality production. It has a leg up on the original Godfather in my opinion because Michael gets revenge against all his enemies.

Action: Die Hard
Die Hard was praised when it was released because it was "different" from other action movies because the main character was a "regular guy" trying to survive instead of some psuedo super human. Die Hard is an even better film today than it was in the 80's because not only is it better than all the action films that came before it, but it is also better than all the action films that came after it. It has aged well.

Horror: The Exorcist
This is a film that did a great job of scaring the shit out of people by convincing people it was a true story and through clever use of subliminal messages.

Comedy: Groundhog Day
Bill Murray's very best work, which is saying something.

Sci-Fi: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
I know most people don't site this movie as being the best Trek film (let alone Sci Fi film), but I thought it was a great sci-fi "mystery."

Fantasy: Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
I know. Not a popular opinion at all. I liked it better than the other Star Wars films.

Last edited:
Heist: Heat

Noir: The Big Sleep

Dark Comedy: In Bruge

Rom-Com: When Harry Met Sally

Back