Social People with extreme anti-science views know the least, but think they know the most: study

I was taught the same thing about the flood story but just for the life of me cannot remember whose story was reworked by the early semitic peoples into a flood story.

I remember certain details of the earlier version though. There was a major flood in that region and the semitic peoples were involved with other cultured via trade. Those cultures explained the flood as being caused by the Gods being angry at people because they were too noisy! Literally, and because the Gods could not sleep due to the noise they sent a flood to wipe them out.

The semitic peoples had to work out a story that was in alignment with their own beliefs and they came up with an early version of what is in the bible.

There have been several adaptations of the same story. Check out the wiki on Atra Hasis.

There have been several adaptations of the same story. Check out the wiki on Atra Hasis.

I'm aware of that fact. Wish I could remember the name of the group of people the story I mentioned came from though as it is believed to be the precise story the biblical narrative draws from.

I'm aware of that fact. Wish I could remember the name of the group of people the story I mentioned came from though as it is believed to be the precise story the biblical narrative draws from.

I think it might have been the Babylonians. The stories come from a period near to Hammurabi.

Back