1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Pedro Sauer on determining skill

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by keynote, Aug 17, 2010.

1. keynote

keynote Purple Belt

Hey guys, Pedro Sauer's updated his BLOG again with another (in my opinion) excellent article explaining what he thinks determines good skill. I'm not sure if many people follow his blog, so hopefully people don't find me reposting these here to be annoying. I find it to be extremely interesting, so hopefully you guys do as well!

So what do you guys think? It kinda made me stop and reflect on my BJJ and whether or not I was still thinking about moves before doing them. I know there are situations where I have to stop and reflect for a moment on what to do before doing it (north south escapes! damn you north-south!) and there are definitely (although getting rarer!) times where I quickly have to go over the various details (even for things like the armlock from mount, silly things like cross facing etc.)

2. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Interesting read, tank ya ma b'y :icon_chee

3. keynote

keynote Purple Belt

shore b'y its ting

4. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Ya gotta love you newfies. I remember my first time in a judo class the instructor was a newfie, the only word I could make out what he was saying was "b'y". :icon_chee

5. Jimmy Cerra

Jimmy Cerra Amateur Fighter

I think it is a little different. I agree with his analogy a lot. I often think of a jiu-jitsu match as a conversation between the opponents. Those who roll with me know I often laugh at jiu-jitsu "jokes", am serious with jiu-jitsu "debates", etc. However, I often use a different analogy from mathematics to describe how I see the "good" guys vs the new guys.

When you first learn how to compute, you start with basic mathematics, finger adding, rote memorization of times tables, long division, etc. This is analogous to what a beginner in BJJ learns. Later you can think in more abstract terms. You can solve word problems and use algebraic equations. Later you proceed to calculus, which involves solving for equations instead of solving for numbers. There are more and more abstract forms of calculus. You learn to derive differential formulas from situations, etc.

In the same way, you progress from body movements and rote memorization of techniques to more abstract ways of moving. You learn how to use strategies, then how they fit into the principles of jiu-jitsu. The more I learn, the more I see how to apply those principles. The techniques we use are really just patterns of applied principles. Learning how to automatically identify and use the principles helps me roll, in the same way you learn how to automatically perform long division or find derivatives of equations. They are shortcuts that speed up your rolling and let you focus on more important things.

The principles of jiu-jitsu are based on a only few things:

1) Your goal is to most efficiently & effectively use your mind and body.

2) You are constrained by situation: the anatomy of yourself, your opponent, surroundings (gi, nogi, mma, self-defense), etc.

3) Every move or "technique" is an application of Newton's laws of mechanics to the situation.

That's it. But out of just a few ultimate principles comes a large number of options, strategies, and "techniques". That is the beauty of jiu-jitsu.

6. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

Props to Pedro for the Stepbrothers reference.

7. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Orange Belt

That's my Professor. The man has an intelligent and well thought out answer for everything. You couldn't possibly find a nicer, more intelligent person on this planet.

8. teamcarvalho

teamcarvalho Green Belt

Shit I like the term JIU-JITEIRO....never heard anyone use it before it before but I am going to use.....shit I might make shirts using that word.:icon_chee

I like it better than the term LUTADOR

9. JNick

JNick Orange Belt

Good read. Thanks

10. BJJayhawk10

BJJayhawk10 Yellow Belt

Good stuff. I always enjoy reading Pedro's thought. Thanks ts.

11. BizarroPutin

BizarroPutin Blue Belt

yup. that essay is the sort of speech the Prof. will just give on the fly also.

you'd be hard pressed to find a smarter/wiser man in the entire martial arts world.

I'm lucky to train under him as well

12. BassAckwards

BassAckwards Brown Belt

you guys are lucky! i train under one of his affiliates and would love to attend one of his classes/seminars.

13. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

Pretty insightful

14. dcfella

dcfella Blue Belt

His blogs are videos are good to see. I always enjoy hearing his stories too.

On a side note, it's funny how he thanks the "chinese mafia" at the end. Brings back memories when he used to call me and my bro in law the Japanese mafia after every class(neither one of us are japanese!).

15. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

Excellent read, cheers fella!

16. King Creatine

King Creatine Purple Belt

^^
    World's most intelligent fighter.

17. jasond

jasond Purple Belt

Quick semi-related question: how do you pronounce "jiteiro".

juh tare eeyo? jit aero?