Pedro Sauer on determining skill

keynote

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, Pedro Sauer's updated his BLOG again with another (in my opinion) excellent article explaining what he thinks determines good skill. I'm not sure if many people follow his blog, so hopefully people don't find me reposting these here to be annoying. I find it to be extremely interesting, so hopefully you guys do as well!

As a practitioner of jiu jitsu, I've often been confronted with the question "Professor, how do I get good?" or "Is he good at jiu jitsu?"..

Being "good" at jiu jitsu is a fickle thing.

It is very much like conversing with a friend. First, I believe you must learn the alphabet. It is critical to be well versed and educated in the basic structure and manner in which jiu jitsu is conducted. I believe it is not too much to expect a white belt to learn all the chokes and locks possible in jiu jitsu. The further your education is in the alphabet, the more words (techniques and rational combinations) you can form. A beginner (after being gently coaxed into jiu jitsu using appropriate an introduction of basic movements), should be taught every single sweep, escape, choke, and lock variations that is possible. In this way, I believe they become exposed to the existence of any and all such movements and are able to explore, like children often do with words their parents use, the mechanics by which those sweeps, locks, escapes are utilized on a human body.

If I only taught a beginner the alphabets A, C, and S (armlock choke and sweep), there are not many words he can form..much less sentences or intelligent conversations to interact with his opponent. It would simple be shouting the letters A, C, and S in different sequences. He would also stuck in the guard and helpless on a bottom position! In such a situation, the louder, most obnoxious (stronger or most insistent) fighter would win the argument. You can obviously see how this is not jiu jitsu. Just because you know three letters or words of katakana does not mean you know how to speak Japanese. You can imagine just as well, the people who believe jiu jitsu is simply a sport of submissions mixed with athleticism are really trying to win ten different arguments with only ONE debate topic and strategy.

When a proponent of jiu jitsu is fully and completely educated in A-Z (all basic and apparent techniques), he is then ready to begin to comprehend the sentences and words we use. Every now and then we might need to check the dictionary, but he is fully capable of taking any new techniques, positions, combinations and strategies and breaking them down and simplifying them into the alphabet that he knows.

After a certain while, performing and practicing jiu jitsu is as easy as speaking. The proponent no longer has to translate the word into his native tongue before speaking, he can easily construct different sentences, speak intelligently with his opponent and even form his own way of conversation and play with sentence structure at his own leisure.

What I am trying to say is: I believe a good jiu jiteiro does not THINK to remember what the escape from side body was when he is caught in it already, or what the certain mechanics of that armlock was when he is halfway through catching the arm. A Jiu jiteiro intelligently KNOWS how the body moves, the extent of which an arm is capable of stretching, and what movements are required to break an arm.

It should be like speaking, except it is with your body.

This is why so many instructors will often beg their students to go slowly and flow softly. Attacking each other with force and strength is like watching Will Farrell and John C. Reilly converse with each other in Step Brothers. The roll is going nowhere, and even if someone wins, it is redundant. We put our children through grade school for a reason. What good would it be to enter our 6 year old child into a college debate club? Go slowly. Regardless of your age or background, a new language takes time to understand fully.

A perfect conversation is one that is elegant, deep, refined, cultured, and full. It is succinct on paper (Pass the guard, mount, choke) but complex in action (imagine the 50 different guard passes, 3 different mounting techniques, and the myriad of submissions that the proponent must have performed and countered before winning!)....

I hope you understand, my friend!

- many thanks to my good friend "Brian 'the Chinese Mafia' Chang" for helping me with this.

So what do you guys think? It kinda made me stop and reflect on my BJJ and whether or not I was still thinking about moves before doing them. I know there are situations where I have to stop and reflect for a moment on what to do before doing it (north south escapes! damn you north-south!) and there are definitely (although getting rarer!) times where I quickly have to go over the various details (even for things like the armlock from mount, silly things like cross facing etc.)

Interesting read, tank ya ma b'y :icon_chee

shore b'y its ting

Ya gotta love you newfies. I remember my first time in a judo class the instructor was a newfie, the only word I could make out what he was saying was "b'y". :icon_chee

I think it is a little different. I agree with his analogy a lot. I often think of a jiu-jitsu match as a conversation between the opponents. Those who roll with me know I often laugh at jiu-jitsu "jokes", am serious with jiu-jitsu "debates", etc. However, I often use a different analogy from mathematics to describe how I see the "good" guys vs the new guys.

When you first learn how to compute, you start with basic mathematics, finger adding, rote memorization of times tables, long division, etc. This is analogous to what a beginner in BJJ learns. Later you can think in more abstract terms. You can solve word problems and use algebraic equations. Later you proceed to calculus, which involves solving for equations instead of solving for numbers. There are more and more abstract forms of calculus. You learn to derive differential formulas from situations, etc.

In the same way, you progress from body movements and rote memorization of techniques to more abstract ways of moving. You learn how to use strategies, then how they fit into the principles of jiu-jitsu. The more I learn, the more I see how to apply those principles. The techniques we use are really just patterns of applied principles. Learning how to automatically identify and use the principles helps me roll, in the same way you learn how to automatically perform long division or find derivatives of equations. They are shortcuts that speed up your rolling and let you focus on more important things.

The principles of jiu-jitsu are based on a only few things:

1) Your goal is to most efficiently & effectively use your mind and body.

2) You are constrained by situation: the anatomy of yourself, your opponent, surroundings (gi, nogi, mma, self-defense), etc.

3) Every move or "technique" is an application of Newton's laws of mechanics to the situation.

That's it. But out of just a few ultimate principles comes a large number of options, strategies, and "techniques". That is the beauty of jiu-jitsu.

That's my Professor. The man has an intelligent and well thought out answer for everything. You couldn't possibly find a nicer, more intelligent person on this planet.

Shit I like the term JIU-JITEIRO....never heard anyone use it before it before but I am going to use.....shit I might make shirts using that word.:icon_chee

I like it better than the term LUTADOR

That's my Professor. The man has an intelligent and well thought out answer for everything. You couldn't possibly find a nicer, more intelligent person on this planet.

yup. that essay is the sort of speech the Prof. will just give on the fly also.

you'd be hard pressed to find a smarter/wiser man in the entire martial arts world.

I'm lucky to train under him as well

yup. that essay is the sort of speech the Prof. will just give on the fly also.

you'd be hard pressed to find a smarter/wiser man in the entire martial arts world.

I'm lucky to train under him as well

you guys are lucky! i train under one of his affiliates and would love to attend one of his classes/seminars.

His blogs are videos are good to see. I always enjoy hearing his stories too.

On a side note, it's funny how he thanks the "chinese mafia" at the end. Brings back memories when he used to call me and my bro in law the Japanese mafia after every class(neither one of us are japanese!).

I think it is a little different. I agree with his analogy a lot. I often think of a jiu-jitsu match as a conversation between the opponents. Those who roll with me know I often laugh at jiu-jitsu "jokes", am serious with jiu-jitsu "debates", etc. However, I often use a different analogy from mathematics to describe how I see the "good" guys vs the new guys.

When you first learn how to compute, you start with basic mathematics, finger adding, rote memorization of times tables, long division, etc. This is analogous to what a beginner in BJJ learns. Later you can think in more abstract terms. You can solve word problems and use algebraic equations. Later you proceed to calculus, which involves solving for equations instead of solving for numbers. There are more and more abstract forms of calculus. You learn to derive differential formulas from situations, etc.

In the same way, you progress from body movements and rote memorization of techniques to more abstract ways of moving. You learn how to use strategies, then how they fit into the principles of jiu-jitsu. The more I learn, the more I see how to apply those principles. The techniques we use are really just patterns of applied principles. Learning how to automatically identify and use the principles helps me roll, in the same way you learn how to automatically perform long division or find derivatives of equations. They are shortcuts that speed up your rolling and let you focus on more important things.

The principles of jiu-jitsu are based on a only few things:

1) Your goal is to most efficiently & effectively use your mind and body.

2) You are constrained by situation: the anatomy of yourself, your opponent, surroundings (gi, nogi, mma, self-defense), etc.

3) Every move or "technique" is an application of Newton's laws of mechanics to the situation.

That's it. But out of just a few ultimate principles comes a large number of options, strategies, and "techniques". That is the beauty of jiu-jitsu.

^^
World's most intelligent fighter.

Quick semi-related question: how do you pronounce "jiteiro".

juh tare eeyo? jit aero?

Back