Pedro Rizzo hinting a 'striking, stand-up fight' approach from Glover?

MMABr

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I was of the group of people that thought, for sure, Glover would just stand with Rampage for a couple of mins and then focus on grappling eventually going for the finish via submission or TKO after heavy ground and pound. Now, Rizzo is a regular training partner of Glover, will be on his corner against Quinton and, from this short interview, seems to hint that the plan is to stand with him. I mean, he is always looking for the KO in his fights and swings with bad intentions but could be more dangerous in this fight.

http://portaldovaletudo.com.br/br/noticias/item/4143-rizzo-comenta-lutas-de-aldo-e-glover-e-diz-%E2%80%9Cpez%C3%A3o-pode-chocar-como-fez-com-fedor%E2%80%9D

I will resume what Pedro says, translated:

- 'Glover is ready, not only for Rampage but also to become champion eventually, I expect a lot from him.'
- 'It's going to be a dangerous striking fight for Glover, but Glover's hand will be the one that connects and not Rampage's. The one that lands first will knock the other down, and I'm hoping Rampage will be the one falling.'

He also predicts Glover could shortly be in the top 5 and, step by step, closing slowly to a title shot. Was invited to be part of some of the trainings at ATT and expects a Bigfoot upset against Overeem plus a great fight between Aldo and Edgar.

Do you guys expect Glover to keep it standing and look for a stand up war? I think he'll only try and take it to the ground if he feels in danger, could be after the first exchanges or later on.

i think glover will def look to grapple and get on top - that would be smart

maybe hes just looking to knock page out at his own game - if so, that would be tight - sounds like rizzo thinks glover's faster maybe

I don't see Glover having any other choice but to strike with Rampage. Pages tdd is still top notch.

I don't see Glover having any other choice but to strike with Rampage. Pages tdd is still top notch.

Yup. He's been taken down by some of the best wrestlers but has always had great TDD. If this fight goes to the ground, somebody must have been rocked.

I think Glove will do the classic strategy of setup the TD with strikes.

Glover shoots before Joe Rogan says he has an underrated ground game.

if its gonna be a stand-up fight i think page will ko glover. im a glover fan but glover hasnt fought anyone relevant and page has been fighting top competition for years. im assuming his chin is a lot stronger than glovers too

I'm sure he'll do both. He'll test his striking but if Page is sharp and countering him well, he'll then push for the takedown, land some nasty ground and pound and work for a sub.

I'm hoping glover stands with rampage for a good portion. That will be awesome to watch. However tex will most likely intermix striking with TDs which will tire page and give him a good chance to finish the fight standing or on the ground.

If Rizzo says striking then I'm thinking leg kicks are on the menu which would work well against Rampage.

Yup. He's been taken down by some of the best wrestlers but has always had great TDD. If this fight goes to the ground, somebody must have been rocked.

Rampage has been taken down by Bader, Jones, Machida, Shogun, Rashad, Lindland and Dong Sik Yoon.

Why does everyone act like it's impossible to take him down?

If Rizzo says striking then I'm thinking leg kicks are on the menu which would work well against Rampage.

Does Glover even use leg kicks? I honestly can't remember him throwing much other than punches, indifferent knees and the occasional high kick.

Back