paying to take a test for belts....BS

guardpasser

Tudo Bem Bjj
@Black
Reaction score
Bjj is not tae kwon do. why should you have to pay to get tested for blue or purple belt, it should be awarded on your abilities and teaching skills, dedication to the sport and willingness to put in the time to get there.

paying to take the test.. HELL NO.
i have taken this personally.
i will stay a 4 stripe blue belt forever and just tap people out with a freaking vengence.

please discuss how ALL of feel about testing and paying.

no , ididnt and i wouldnt have either. it was given to me when i was due, no test no payment

well.. i think the test, paying to test, thing is pretty standard. I think Renzo just gives the belt when he thinks you're ready, but other than that.. most schools i've heard make you test/pay.

Is it kinda BS? Yeah i think so. At least the paying part, i see no problem with testing.

But in the end, these schools are businesses and they have to find a way to be profitable somehow.

ya i find the whole paying to test for a belt complete bullshit myself. im glad i do no gi

as far as i know tests have become more common.
but paying to test has only started over the past several years.
i understand it is a business, but there are toomanythings watering down bjj, and i think paying to test is one of them, i will get over the tests soon i am sure. but the price for classes, drop in classes and privates are high enough. why juice us for more money. we support tournaments, we but acadamy gear.

i understand i am bitchin a lot here, sorry for it, but have gotten really pissed, a lot of people can barely afford classes, now they have to pay for a belt test.

well look at it this way. does it suck? Yes. But if you're very very dedicated you'll only have to do this 2 more times. Which I think is a small price to pay for the honor of being a BJJ Blackbelt.

I got my blue belt in words alone. I had to go buy my own belt for class. I wasn't charged for anything. You should get your belt when you deserve it, not when you pay for it.

Superbeast said:
I got my blue belt in words alone. I had to go buy my own belt for class. I wasn't charged for anything. You should get your belt when you deserve it, not when you pay for it.

amen.
i will gladely buy the actual belt, but thats it.
i forget to mention with all the fees we pay there is usually a yearly membership fee to the organization you are in, that should cover the testing fee

You have to pay and take tests at Rickson's school. They are grueling, and typically cost $75 and up for blue or more senior.

It would be nice not to have to take them. But given that it's a one time payment every couple of years at best, the $$ thing is of little concern to me.

johil d'o said:
You have to pay and take tests at Rickson's school. They are grueling, and typically cost $75 and up for blue or more senior.

It would be nice not to have to take them. But given that it's a one time payment every couple of years at best, the $$ thing is of little concern to me.

I am really tempted to say something very mean about Rickson Gracie with regards to him charging for tests. But, I don't want to get carded or banned.

flyingknee16 said:
I am really tempted to say something very mean about Rickson Gracie with regards to him charging for tests. But, I don't want to get carded or banned.
Word

I had to buy my belt but i didint pay for a test.

But it's the closest thing to a 4-hour private with Rickson you'll ever get.

yeah, bjj costs a grip a month anyways, shit like a certificate and a belt should come out of your monthly dues...

I have to pay for Judo testing and belts ($70 CAD)... which is why I have been putting off getting promoted for a while.

Everytime they ask me to do the test, I say later.

I'm in no hurry.

other than black belts.. why should you have to pay. and if you do have to pay 75 is a crock. I am sorry.. Why the fcck would you pay 75 dollars for a purple belt test?

paying for a belt is bullshit, any shmuck can pay ,earn it on the mat!!!! , let me shut up before i say something .................

Damn, if they tell me to pay for a belt ill walk out straight away or wont ever bother about grading in my life again..

Back